Windows 10: Win 10, not reading DVD

Discus and support Win 10, not reading DVD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My DVD driver is not reading that a DVD is present. Windows Media Player says the drive is empty when it has a DVD inside. I have uninstalled and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mdpoole, Aug 22, 2015.

1. mdpoole Win User

Win 10, not reading DVD

My DVD driver is not reading that a DVD is present. Windows Media Player says the drive is empty when it has a DVD inside.
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver (E) but nothing has changed. I'd like to watch movies again. Any suggestions?

:)

mdpoole, Aug 22, 2015

2. Windows 10 DVD drive not not reading DVD

what kind of DVD

Purchased movie

a self burned disk of something

maybe the DVD is bad and some players have some issues with some brands of disks

maybe the DVD drive drivers are missing

is it a USB DVD drive, if so maybe USB port is bad.

have you set your auto run settings

control panel>>default programs>>auto run settings

Will not play it as it does not know what to play it with

will not play it because you do not have a DVD player application installed to play it

if this is case, go to Shark007 website and download and install the free best safe advanced codec pack and use the 32bit settings app and check box to play all in windows media player. you will never need another player or codec and can play any audio or
    video file types.

seahawks65, Aug 22, 2015
  3. can I copy from dvd drive d to dvd drive e in windows 10

I am still not sure that win 10 has the ability to read or write dvd's.

PatMerritt, Aug 22, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Win 10, not reading DVD

Windows 10 did not come with DVD movie built in. You can search in the store for DVD player and if you upgraded from the right version of Windows previously the Windows 10 DVD player will be free, otherwise it will be $15. And it isn't all that good, from what I have heard.

A couple of free options are VLC. It will play just about every format available including DVDs.
    VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!

Another free option is Kodi. It is more for if you have a movie collection stored. I've got almost 600 movies ripped from DVD. It also plays DVD discs, but will be more than what you need if you don't have your own movie/music collection saved:
    Kodi | Open Source Home Theatre Software

NavyLCDR, Aug 22, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    Just to be clear: is the DVD drive working at all? Can it read disks that aren't DVD movie ones?

bobkn, Aug 22, 2015
  6. mdpoole Win User
    Hey, Thank you SO MUCH. Instantly, with VLC, the video DVD's were read beautifully. It's always nice to deal with smart people. *Smile

mdpoole, Aug 22, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Glad it worked for you!

NavyLCDR, Aug 22, 2015
  8. djbillyd Win User

Win 10, not reading DVD

I have used VLC for years now, and it does work..., when it can. My DVD player(s) are in the inventory of File Explorer, but when a disc in inserted, the progress meter at the top of the page slowly creeps across to the "X" box on the end, and just marinades there. Never doing anything. I have the BIOS/CMOS set for "CD Boot" as the first device, so on startup, the system sits on "Boot from CD:_" forever if there is a disc in the tray. And it does that even if it's a blank disc! And it does the same thing for both DVD players.

So, what's my problem?

djbillyd, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Win 10, not reading DVD

1. Win 10, not reading DVD - Similar Threads - reading DVD

2. DVD Error in Reading

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD Error in Reading: Today I found a very old DVD in my collection. It was first written on it in 2007, like it is shown on it. The problem is, although it does not have bad scratches on it, my PC processes it VERY slow. Just clicking on it, it takes like 2 minutes of working. And when I finally...
  3. DVD Error in Reading

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD Error in Reading: Today I found a very old DVD in my collection. It was first written on it in 2007, like it is shown on it. The problem is, although it does not have bad scratches on it, my PC processes it VERY slow. Just clicking on it, it takes like 2 minutes of working. And when I finally...
  4. I have a problem with DVD drive. it doesn't read our CDs.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a problem with DVD drive. it doesn't read our CDs.: Hi. I insert my CD but the DVD drive doesn't read it. I try different CDs but it doesn't work at all. It likes I didn't insert the CD but I actually did it!...
  5. I have a problem with DVD drive. it doesn't read our CDs.

I have a problem with DVD drive. it doesn't read our CDs.: Hi. I insert my CD but the DVD drive doesn't read it. I try different CDs but it doesn't work at all. It likes I didn't insert the CD but I actually did it!...
  6. My DVD drive worked fine until I upgraded to Windows 11. Now it reads DVD-RW ok but DVD+RW...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My DVD drive worked fine until I upgraded to Windows 11. Now it reads DVD-RW ok but DVD+RW...: I have updated the firmware and updated the driver but the old driver 2006 seems to return and WQindows keeps saying I have the latest driver..The DVD Drive is HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50I frequently record tv PROGRAMS on DVDRW discs on my DVD RECORDER which all played and...
  7. My DVD drive worked fine until I upgraded to Windows 11. Now it reads DVD-RW ok but DVD+RW...

My DVD drive worked fine until I upgraded to Windows 11. Now it reads DVD-RW ok but DVD+RW...: I have updated the firmware and updated the driver but the old driver 2006 seems to return and WQindows keeps saying I have the latest driver..The DVD Drive is HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50I frequently record tv PROGRAMS on DVDRW discs on my DVD RECORDER which all played and...
  8. Roofull cd dvd player works on cd's but won't read DVD.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Roofull cd dvd player works on cd's but won't read DVD.: Roofull A41-su, cd dvd player won't recognize DVD-R, works great on CD's.*Moved from feedback. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/roofull-cd-dvd-player-works-on-cds-but-wont-read/6e352226-c0f5-4b99-8fb7-85985cf5203d
  9. Roofull cd dvd player works on cd's but won't read DVD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Roofull cd dvd player works on cd's but won't read DVD.: Roofull A41-su, cd dvd player won't recognize DVD-R, works great on CD's.*Moved from feedback. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/roofull-cd-dvd-player-works-on-cds-but-wont-read/6e352226-c0f5-4b99-8fb7-85985cf5203d
  10. Roofull cd dvd player works on cd's but won't read DVD.