Windows 10: Win 10 Offline Files Question - User home drives moving to new server

Discus and support Win 10 Offline Files Question - User home drives moving to new server in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi . . . Going back in time some years ago - squashing the CSC dB in ( Win . . . 7? XP? ) was relatively easy and straight fwd w/a reg mod and a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jdanvers, May 24, 2021.

1. jdanvers Win User

Win 10 Offline Files Question - User home drives moving to new server

Hi . . . Going back in time some years ago - squashing the CSC dB in ( Win . . . 7? XP? ) was relatively easy and straight fwd w/a reg mod and a reboot. It would appear from googling that times have changed and it isn't so easy to kill / delete / reset an offline files cache anymore with current incarnation of Windows. (?) Readers digest - we're retiring and old server that holds several users home drives and those drives are set to always be available via offline files. We're going to be moving them to a totally different server in a totally different data center with a totally different server name. No - corporate doesn't want to use alias / cnames / etc . . . I've asked. So . . . I'm looking for a definitive means of completely killing existing CSC cache's on user laptops and then re-initializing / pointing them to a new server - w/out the laptop trying in vein to re-connect to an old server that no longer exists. Have any of you successfully done this - and if so - could you share the recipe please? Win 10 Offline Files Question - User home drives moving to new server :) Thanks . . . -=- jd -=-

:)

jdanvers, May 24, 2021
  2. Ian Ser Win User

Offline Files and Windows 10?

Thank you for update, Kazimierz.

Let us try creating a new user account and see if it resolves your issue:

Here are the steps on how to create a new user account:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type net user username /add.
    • If the new user account is already created, check if you can Manage your Offline Files.

Transferring user account files from old to new user:

You have created a new user account and if everything is working fine, the next step is to transfer files from old to new user account.

Make sure to show hidden folders on your old user account:

• Open File Explorer, and click This PC.
    • Click View, and see if there's a check on Hidden items.
    • Click View, select Options, and click
      Change folder and search options
    • Click the View tab, and check Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

Here are the steps on how to transfer files from old to new user account:

• Open File Explorer, and click This PC.
    • Open Local Disk (C, and click Users).
    • Open the name of your old user account and copy all the files.
    • To move it, paste it on this path: Local Disk (C> Users> New user accounts.

Let us know the results.

Ian Ser, May 24, 2021
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Move offline files Win X

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Right-click on the folder that you want to redirect, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click the Location tab, and then click
      Move.
    • Browse to the location where you want to redirect this folder. You can select another location on this computer, another drive attached to this computer, or another computer on the network. To find a network location, type
      two backslashes (\\) into the address bar followed by the name of the location where you want to redirect the folder (for example, \\mylaptop), and then press Enter.
    • Click the folder where you want to store the files, click
      Select Folder, and then click OK.
    • In the dialog that appears, click Yes to move all the files to the new location.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, May 24, 2021
  4. Win 10 Offline Files Question - User home drives moving to new server

Offline file issues when Migrating User Home directories from Server 2003 to Server 2016

When migrating data from an old data server(Server 2003 - Chome) to a new data server(Server 2016 - MVMCFIL01p), Offline files create duplicate sync instances when the user data is moved to the new server.

One method that works but is not an option is to turn off the old CHOME server and create a CHOME alias on the new MVMCFIL01P server.

It will take time to migrate data from one Server to the other so creating an alias of (Chome) on MVMCFIL01P is not an option until all the files have been moved (This may be a 2 week process).
    So, on each user’s PC, data will be synced to both \\chome and \\mvmcfil01p but we only need it synced to \\chome.

Does anyone know a method to migrate the data and still maintain one instance of the offline files data?

We are running Windows 7 (10)

Thanks,

Randy

RandyRiauka, May 24, 2021
Thema:

Win 10 Offline Files Question - User home drives moving to new server

1. Win 10 Offline Files Question - User home drives moving to new server - Similar Threads - Offline Files Question

2. Moving win 10 to a new drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving win 10 to a new drive: Hi Currently i have my windows and apps / data stored on the c drive as standard installationi am looking to move the OS to a new drive and keep the existing apps, programs, docs emails etc on the existing drive which i guess will need to be assigned a new drive letterWhat is...
  3. Moving win 10 to a new drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving win 10 to a new drive: Hi Currently i have my windows and apps / data stored on the c drive as standard installationi am looking to move the OS to a new drive and keep the existing apps, programs, docs emails etc on the existing drive which i guess will need to be assigned a new drive letterWhat is...
  4. Moving win 10 to a new drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Offline Files cache question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Offline Files cache question: I have a NAS and tested Offline Files feature. I enabled some folders to be "Always available offline" and I faced into an issue: - When I copying from folder, the speed is good, because files are already cached. - When I copying to folder, the speed is limited to Ethernet...
  6. Moving user folder to new Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving user folder to new Drive: Hi I have just bought a new PC that has 2 drives never had this before. The C Drive is the SSD which is small and then it has a D Drive which is 2 TB. I wanted to move my User folders to the D drive . I thought I had done it but it hasnt worked properly. On the C drive my...
  7. Moving OS drive to new hardware question

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving OS drive to new hardware question: Hello everyone. I was wondering if It was possible to move my SSD (boot drive) onto new hardware. I'm upgrading my pc a bit, one of the things being the motherboard. I really don't want to purchase windows if I don't have to, so i'm wondering if it can be moved properly....
  8. New to Win 10 Home - more set/startup questions

in Windows 10 Support
    New to Win 10 Home - more set/startup questions: I am back with a couple of more questions that I encountered in my pre setup preparations: 1. Would like some opinions, pros/cons on setting up a Local Account vs the default Microsoft Account. 2. It seems that Microsoft has now made it more difficult to set up a local...
  9. Why did Win 10 version 1903 create a new user and move all files to that user?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why did Win 10 version 1903 create a new user and move all files to that user?: Got the update to 1903 (OS Build 18362.295) yesterday. Afterward, I discovered it had created a new c: user and moved all files under that account. The original is still there but has only an App Data file. The only difference in the user name is it added .000 to the end....
  10. Upgrading new Win 10 system to PRO, moving Win 10 HOME licence

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrading new Win 10 system to PRO, moving Win 10 HOME licence: My wife is about to get a Lenovo laptop with Win 10 home. All other systems in our home network run Pro, so I'm thinking I should use an extra Win 7 Pro key to upgrade that laptop. Will that approach still work? Also, I seem to recall reading somewhere that I should also...