Windows 10: Win 10 on both HDD and SSD?

Discus and support Win 10 on both HDD and SSD? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I will buy a SSD for my Acer desktop and install Win 10 on it and other programs I have on my computer. If I do a clean install of Win 10 on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by joebilly, Oct 1, 2015.

1. joebilly Win User

Win 10 on both HDD and SSD?

I will buy a SSD for my Acer desktop and install Win 10 on it and other programs I have on my computer.

If I do a clean install of Win 10 on my SSD, do I have to delte Win 10 on the HDD first?

I guess it is not allowed having two Windows 10 on the same computer (both hdd and ssd)?

:)

joebilly, Oct 1, 2015
  2. EWR1 Win User

Disk Management in Win 10 PRO

The Win 10 PRO was installed independently on two different HDD with SATA connections S0 and S4 than can be connected with switches to the power supply of the PC.

After installation both were connected and the booting order was selected in BIOS. One partition of the (non booted HDD) displayed as "unallocated" partition. Rebooting with the second HDD recognized all partitions in both HDD's.

My question is: does the Win 10 PRO store partition data independently from the BIOS and uses it for booting?

I have screen shoots of the Disk Management of the single HDD connections and for both HDD's connected with both booting options. If necessary tell me how to send them.

EWR1, Oct 1, 2015
  3. beeny589 Win User
    deleting a system reserved partition

I have windows 10 on both my ssd and my hdd, I just want to know how to delete the partition of win 10 that is on my hdd.

beeny589, Oct 1, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Why not just clone it over?

NavyLCDR, Oct 2, 2015
  5. Hey joebilly,

Did you purchase Windows 10? If so, you should be able to install it to the SSD with the key it came with, but no, you can't run them both at the same time. And technically, you're supposed to remove it from the HDD in order to put it elsewhere.

If I were you, I would make sure my motherboard supports 6 Gb/s (or make sure the SSD is plugged into one) instead of 3, or it may not really be worth upgrading in the first place.

DustSailor, Oct 2, 2015
  6. joebilly Win User
    NavyLCDR
    If I clone the hdd to ssd will everything on the hdd then be deleted or is cloning just another word of copy?

DustSailor
    I have Win 10 from the free upgrade and I also dowloaded Win 10 to a usb stick with Windows Media Creation Tool. And yes, my motherboard supports 6 Gb/s.

Maybe the easiest way is to clone the hdd to ssd, then. I have very few programs on the hdd so it will fit on the new ssd.

joebilly, Oct 2, 2015
  7. CountMike New Member
    If your present W10 is activated on that machine, you can do clean install on the SSD and reformat HDD it was on later. It might be better to do that just make sure you set SATA port to AHCI mode before you start.

CountMike, Oct 2, 2015
  8. joebilly Win User

Ok thanks.

Maybe I'll go for a clean install of Win 10 on the SSD then. I was thinking of using the HDD for backup and storage purposes anyway.

joebilly, Oct 2, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    While I admire your desire to comply with the EULA 100% - nobody, including Microsoft (and probably not even a court or jury) is going to convict you for having two copies of the same Windows 10 for the time it takes to establish the new install before deleting the old one.

A clean install of Windows 10 to the SSD will likely cause you less technical problems than cloning, so if you don't mind re-installing everything, that's the way I would go. If it were me, this is what I would do:

1. Install SSD and leave the old hard drive disconnected.
    2. Clean install Windows 10 to it by booting from Windows 10 install media (with the exact same version of Windows 10 you had installed previously), install it to the blank SSD, "skip" or "do this later" when it asks for a product key.
    3. Make sure the new Windows 10 on the SSD is fully activated.
    4. Install Macrium Reflect Free and MiniTool Partition Wizard Free.
    5. Connect the old HDD.
    6. Use partition wizard to shrink the operating system partition on the old HDD to as small as possible.
    7. Create a new partition on the old HDD that is at least a little larger than the used space on the operating system partition that you just shrunk and format it to NTFS. (this is assuming that you had over 50% available free space on the old HDD).
    8. Use Macrium Reflect Free to image the operating system partition on the HDD to a single file image saved to the new partition you created in step 7.
    9. Using Partition Wizard, delete all the partitions on the old HDD except for the new one containing the image file. Expand that one remaining partition to fill all the empty space created.

Walah! Now you have your backup drive with an image available to pull any data that you might have left behind and want to retrieve later and it is an image file backup of your old Windows 10 installation and not a second installed copy.

NavyLCDR, Oct 2, 2015
  10. joebilly Win User
    NavyLCDR

Ok, thanks for your help, and I'll see what I can do.

And you can guarrantee that the police will not knock on my door in coming weeks? *Smile

joebilly, Oct 2, 2015
  11. CountMike New Member
    NSA, CIA or FBI maybe depending what you do for living but no police for sure.

CountMike, Oct 2, 2015
  12. spapakons Win User
    Sounds like a lot of trouble. I would just clone HDD to SSD. If activation cannot be done automatically, you can do it by phone and tell that your disk failed and you reinstalled Windows in a new disk. They will give you the activation key. After you make sure SSD works OK and has all your applications and data, you can just delete all partitions in the old disk and use it for data storage or backup. If it has at least 50% free space, you can shrink the Windows partition to the minimum and use the rest space. So you also have a backup in case something happens to the SSD. But then it is not a good idea to have it permanently connected to the PC just in case something happens to that as well. I would buy an external USB enclosure and make it a portable USB disk that is connected to the PC only when needed.

spapakons, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 on both HDD and SSD? - Similar Threads - both HDD SSD

2. updating windows both on SSD and HDD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    updating windows both on SSD and HDD.: i recently transfered my windows form HDD to SSD and using the HDD as a storage device without formatting so i have the windows installed on my HDD. In any case my SSD get crashed, i can restore it from my HDD. Now how do i keep my HDD updated along with my SSD so i can...
  3. updating windows both on SSD and HDD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    updating windows both on SSD and HDD.: i recently transfered my windows form HDD to SSD and using the HDD as a storage device without formatting so i have the windows installed on my HDD. In any case my SSD get crashed, i can restore it from my HDD. Now how do i keep my HDD updated along with my SSD so i can...
  4. updating windows both on SSD and HDD.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. SSD and HDD both not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD and HDD both not responding: I have one ssd and one hdd in my laptop. The hdd was given with the laptop and the ssd I have installed myself. Suddenly from today evening, both the Drive C SSD & Drive D HDD not responding, though they are showing in the file explorer. How to resolve my problem?...
  6. SSD and HDD both not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD and HDD both not responding: I have one ssd and one hdd in my laptop. The hdd was given with the laptop and the ssd I have installed myself. Suddenly from today evening, both the Drive C SSD & Drive D HDD not responding, though they are showing in the file explorer. How to resolve my problem?...
  7. Using a Windows 10 PC with both HDD and SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using a Windows 10 PC with both HDD and SSD: Hi folks,I had a disaster with my new Windows 10 PC with SSD + HDD and I am trying to find out what I did wrong.Out of the box, the PC was fine but I wanted to install a different Windows version on the HDD. The installation completed successfully BUT the SSD seemed to...
  8. OneDrive - working with both SSD and HDD

in Windows 10 Customization
    OneDrive - working with both SSD and HDD: Hi! I have recently purchased a new PC... first time with both SDD and HDD, and struggling to find how to set things up properly.....All my documents etc, I've put onto the HDD D:... of course the OneDrive backup only looks at Documents library pointing at the SSD C:. Try as...
  9. SSD with Win 10, HDD with Win 7 - Can I connect them both in anyway and copy the HDD data...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD with Win 10, HDD with Win 7 - Can I connect them both in anyway and copy the HDD data...: Title is title submitted by /u/6_or_9 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kx2grj/ssd_with_win_10_hdd_with_win_7_can_i_connect_them/
  10. Transfer Win 10 from SSD - HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Win 10 from SSD - HDD: I bought a laptop from a pawn shop ( old one was dying ). The "new" machine has very small SSD ( 110gb ) and I want to replace it with an HDD ( 1TB ) I recently purchased? The following image is the output from a Powershell command I found here on the forums. It's a retail...