Windows 10: Win 10 on SSD - Data on 2nd drive

Discus and support Win 10 on SSD - Data on 2nd drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi All I know there have been variants on this topic and a few Q's and A's answered within threads, but I was just wondering how many people have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Intrepid, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Intrepid Win User

Win 10 on SSD - Data on 2nd drive

Hi All

I know there have been variants on this topic and a few Q's and A's answered within threads, but I was just wondering how many people have recently used an affordable SSD (256GB-ish) with a large spinny HD for storage. All I want to do is keep the OS and progs on the SSD (CWin 10 on SSD - Data on 2nd drive :) and use the HD (EWin 10 on SSD - Data on 2nd drive :) for data (Office docs, pictures etc).

I have tried this already and used the Win 10 "Change where content is saved" method where I've selected E: for Documents, Music, Photos + vids, and left Apps, Films +TV and Offline maps on C:

However, I ended up with a Program FIles folder and a WindowsApps folder on E: I have tried this twice from a fresh install on the SSD and re-formatted the data drive so as to start from fresh. All I want on E: is what I ask for (not these two system folders).

Does anyone know how I can simply make my data drive just for my data and not have any system related nonsense on it? I would even entertain a 3rd party program if it made life easy, as long as it was reliable. Alternatively, has anyone found this issue so insurmountable that they've found a policy method or used a script or something. I ask this as I can see other people having issues along these lines elsewhere. Cheers all.

:)

Intrepid, Jan 27, 2020
  2. crownele Win User

Hard drives listed as SSD drives

Upgraded to Win 10 Pro from Win 7 Pro.

Have 2 Hard drives in Raid 1 set up.

Win 10 lists these drives as SSD drives in System Properties.

How do I change the listing of these drives to HD so I can optimize them?

crownele, Jan 27, 2020
  3. tengeezer Win User
    How to view 2nd drive?

Nope, not listed.

About half an hour ago I checked to see whether it's faulty, so ran it as a primary drive in AHCI mode. Win10 installed perfectly, in just a few minutes. So drive is fine.

tengeezer, Jan 27, 2020
  4. Law K Win User

Can windowsold.wim save a corrupt Windows 10 SSD Drive?

Q: What is the exact steps to take a corrupted Win 10 machine and reverting it back to Win 7 using the Windowsold.wim data manually?

I recently upgraded my Win 7 Ultimate, 64-bit computer to win 10. After just a few days, the computer crashed. All attempts to repair, restore or go back to Win 7 have failed. Here are the details.

The OS was installed on a Intel SSDSA, 100gb drive. Most of the data is on a separate terabyte drive. Win 10 wanted more space than what was available so I installed another SSD drive and let Win 10 use this drive (more later).

After just a few days, Win 10 did some updates. That's when the SSD drive holding the system files crashed.

I created a windows 10 disk using the media creation tool. Using the Win 10 disk, I went into every advanced repair tool, but was unable to get any positive results.

Going into the command prompt, I used the following commands:

echo list volume | diskpart

The SSD drive is now RAW. Chkdsk does not work as it cannot recognize the drive. The OS cannot be found when using this command:

bcdedit | find /i "OSDEVICE"

sfc /scannow, also does not work.

I tried several other commands they likewise did not work.

I tested the RAM and Cables as well.

Placing the SSD into another Win 10 machine was something I did early. This Win 10 machine said the SSD needed to be formatted.

I have come to the opinion that my SSD drive holding the system files is corrupt beyond repair. There is not much else to try.

I mentioned that I tried to revert back to win 7, but the win 10 repair tools could not find the files to use.

MANUALLY REVERTING BACK TO PREVIOUS WINDOW QUESTION:

As mentioned, Win 10 did not have enough space to install and prompted me to provide it. I installed another SSD hoping Win 10 would install there. Win 10 only placed temp files there.

On this second SSD, I can see the following folder:

$windows.~tmp

In a sub-folder, I see:

Windowsold.wim.

According to what I read, it is possible to use these files to restore my win 7 system files. It is just a matter of renaming and copying them over to a working HD. Everything I read shows how to do it for win versions less than 10. Please see:

Windows.old folder - Restore into a new installation - Windows 7 Help Forums

Q: What is the exact steps to take a corrupted Win 10 machine and reverting it back to Win 7 using the Windowsold.wim data manually?

Thank you very much.

Law K, Jan 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Win 10 on SSD - Data on 2nd drive - Similar Threads - SSD Data 2nd

2. Win 10 New SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 New SSD Drive: Reinstalled Win 10, Installed new SSD Drive to computer. Temporarly disconnected existing Harddrive. Set Bios to new SDD drive for start/Boot. Reconnected harddrive. My question is that I have duplicate files in Partitions/Drives. Can I now delete/format the Harddrive now?...
  3. Win 10 New SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 New SSD Drive: Reinstalled Win 10, Installed new SSD Drive to computer. Temporarly disconnected existing Harddrive. Set Bios to new SDD drive for start/Boot. Reconnected harddrive. My question is that I have duplicate files in Partitions/Drives. Can I now delete/format the Harddrive now?...
  4. Win 10 New SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win 10 New SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. 2nd Hard Drive locked in Data Pool Windows10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    2nd Hard Drive locked in Data Pool Windows10: I have a Windows-10 64 bit Desktop with the latest updates installed. It boots from a 750GB HDD SATA. I added a 2nd HDD: a WD black 2TB HDD, SATA. In Bios my computer will see the 2nd HDD. Once I boot into Windows tho it's invisible. When I check storage spaces: it shows that...
  7. Installation Apps and Data on 2nd Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installation Apps and Data on 2nd Drive: I have Dell XPS8940 machine with two drives SSD ( C:) and HDD ( D:) with SATA operation and configured in BIOS for RAID mode. My OS is Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.685 ). I wish all new apps and folders: downloads, documents, music, pictures, videos be installed on D: drive...
  8. 2nd hard drive not showing win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2nd hard drive not showing win 10: I'm trying to take a sata hard drive (with existing data) from an older win 10 machine and add it as a second drive on newer win 10 machine (also sata). First time I've done it. I've watched YT videos on how to configure the 2nd drive but it's based on the 2nd drive showing...
  9. Added SSD with dual boot Win & Linux. Help remove Win 7 from 2nd drive

Added SSD with dual boot Win & Linux. Help remove Win 7 from 2nd drive: My PC had a single drive running Win7. I disconnected it, added a SSD, then installed a Win10 and Linux dual boot. Now I want the Terabyte of space and files on the former single drive. My understand is if I power-up with 2 bootable Win drives, bad things can happen. I'm...
  10. Reinstalling Win 10 to a SSD drive

Reinstalling Win 10 to a SSD drive: I have a desktop that I built myself I bought and installed Win 7 as it was the latest OS at the time. Eventually I did the free upgrade to Win 10. My question is I bought a new SSD drive and would like to do a clean install of Windows 10 on it . Since I only have the win 7...