Windows 10: Win 10 Optimize Drives say I have SSD when in fact it is a HDD

Discus and support Win 10 Optimize Drives say I have SSD when in fact it is a HDD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I was curious to see if my C: drive needed defragmenting so I opened Optimize Drives to find that my C: and partition D: all part of the same HDD are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by scopio, Nov 10, 2015.

1. scopio Win User

Win 10 Optimize Drives say I have SSD when in fact it is a HDD

I was curious to see if my C: drive needed defragmenting so I opened Optimize Drives to find that my C: and partition D: all part of the same HDD are labeled as Solid State Drive but I do not have any *Shock. As can be seen from the screenshot The Analyze and Optimize buttons are greyed out. So my question is, is my C: drive being optimized automatically? Why does Optimize Drives says that my C: and D: drives are SSD when in fact they are HDD? *Think

Win 10 Optimize Drives say I have SSD when in fact it is a HDD [​IMG]

:)

scopio, Nov 10, 2015
  2. GlenFa Win User

Win 10 SSD "Needs Optimizing" How is this handled in Win 10?

I have had Windows 10 installed for 2 weeks

It seems impossible to get any info on how Windows 10 handles SSD drives. I have 2 SSD and 2 HDD. The 2 HDD were optimized automatically and quickly without any action from me. Since the upgrade to Win 10 the SSD are sitting there all dumb like the C: Solid
    State Drive (Last Run (Optimization)) "Never run", "Needs Optimization". A few days ago I run "just the Analyze" on the other SSD, which had the same status as the C: SSD, and now it says that it's ok. I have to assume that Windows 10 is using TRIM on the
    SSD.....? Do we have to Analyze the drives before it optimizes? Is it a timing thing?

My setting for automatic scheduled optimization is set at weekly. It's been 2 weeks and still not optimized.

Why is it so had to get info on this or am I asking the wrong questions??

Frustrating.

Thanks for any help.

GlenFa, Nov 10, 2015
  3. stgreg Win User
    Win 10 Disk Optimization program doesn't work.

After the Anniversary upgrade, Disk Optimization does not optimize per it's schedule. My C Drive is an SSD, my Data D: Drive is an HDD. the HDD optimizes automatically, as per the schedule. The C: Drive does not. It just says "OK" and the date it last
    optimized. Also, "Analyze" is greyed out for the SSD, so I can't analyze. It is not greyed out for the D: HDD.

Can someone explain what is happening?

stgreg, Nov 10, 2015
  4. Word Man Win User

Hi, scopio. Have you gone into your BIOS and seen how BIOS identifies the disk? Does it correctly identify it?

ALSO: Give this a try from an elevated (admin) command prompt: winsat formal

This may reset how Windows assesses that disk.

Word Man, Nov 10, 2015
  5. scopio Win User
    The BIOS did identify the disks as HDD.
    I seem to have solved my problem with Optimize Drives by setting the Optimize Drives Service to start automatically and it now reports my drives as HDD rather than SSD! Nevertheless I did run winsat formal in elevated (admin) command prompt as you suggested report attached plus screenshots. Drive (H) shown on one of the screenshots is a card reader connected to upload the BIOS picture.

Thanks for your help. *Thumbs

scopio, Nov 10, 2015
  6. Word Man Win User
    You're welcome, scopio. Glad it's sorted!

Word Man, Nov 10, 2015
  7. acarde Win User
    What do you mean "Optimize Drives Service to start automatically? I'm still having this issue and I don't even know what winsat is, but it crashes when I attempt to run it.

acarde, Jul 12, 2016
  8. derek10 Win User

Search "services" in Cortana
    Open it
    Find Optimize drives right click on it and properties
    On startup type, change to automatically

Here it's set as manual (presumably default value) and isn't even running and no issues, it detects my SSD and my other 3 HDDs properly. Besides you can optimize (trim) a SSD, the button isn't greyed out *Smile

derek10, Jul 12, 2016
  9. scopio Win User
    Have a look at these two pages that explain what winsat is;
    winsat formal
    Using WinSAT (Windows)

scopio, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 Optimize Drives say I have SSD when in fact it is a HDD - Similar Threads - Optimize Drives SSD

2. Win10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer: I heard that defragmenting an SSD is a bad thing, as there is no benifit to it and it just stresses the Flash. but as it seems the drive optimizer doesn't defrag an SSD, which would be good if it would actually correctly detect an SSD. my System has technically 1 SSD. the...
  3. cant optimize the ssd drive windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    cant optimize the ssd drive windows 10: cant optimize the ssd drive in windows 10 it goes through the motions but then still says this 152716
  4. Windows 10, RAID 1, Optimize Shows HDD, not SSD

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10, RAID 1, Optimize Shows HDD, not SSD: In my new Windows 10 desktop computer, RAID 1, Two SSD's, I see Optimize shows "Hard Disk Drive", NOT "SSD", and I want to be sure defragmentation is not applied to these drives, instead of the proper TRIM utility. What need I do? I found a reply for this regarding Windows...
  5. Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help: I have a new HP laptop with Windows 10 1803. It has a 1 TB SATA disk configured for AHCI, no RAID. Intel RST is running with Optane enabled. Component services recognizes it as a hard disk, but Windows optimize says it is a solid state drive. Device manager and RST think it...
  6. Optimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD

Optimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD: As a result it won't let me optimize the drive. If this helps I'm running fall creators update (1709) and the hard drive from device manager is specifically "Intel Optane+931GBHDD". 118761
  7. Optimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Optimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD: As a result it won't let me optimize the drive. If this helps I'm running fall creators update (1709) and the hard drive from device manager is specifically "Intel Optane+931GBHDD". 118761
  8. Win 10 on both HDD and SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 on both HDD and SSD?: I will buy a SSD for my Acer desktop and install Win 10 on it and other programs I have on my computer. If I do a clean install of Win 10 on my SSD, do I have to delte Win 10 on the HDD first? I guess it is not allowed having two Windows 10 on the same computer (both...
  9. Is Windows 10 Optimizing My SSD Drive

Is Windows 10 Optimizing My SSD Drive: I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I was looking around and noticed that Windows 10 optimize drives, is schedule to optimize (defragment) my solid state drive. I have always been under the impression that defragmenting a solid state drive, is not advised. Has this...
  10. Ssd win 10 drive + hdd program and file drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Ssd win 10 drive + hdd program and file drive: I have read many articles on setting up my SSD drive as my boot drive, and using my HDD for file and programs I don't need the speed for. I have read everything from moving users, files, and changing default locations using the registry, to just creating D:/program files...