Windows 10: Win 10 PC accessing a Win 10 Everyone share prompted for credentials

Discus and support Win 10 PC accessing a Win 10 Everyone share prompted for credentials in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a new Windows 10 Home computer and I've selected a folder and shared it. I've added Everyone to the Share Permissions list with Full Control.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Arsenal, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Arsenal Win User

Win 10 PC accessing a Win 10 Everyone share prompted for credentials

I have a new Windows 10 Home computer and I've selected a folder and shared it. I've added Everyone to the Share Permissions list with Full Control.

Win 10 PC accessing a Win 10 Everyone share prompted for credentials [​IMG]

I've selected "Turn off password protected sharing" in the Advance Sharing Center.

Win 10 PC accessing a Win 10 Everyone share prompted for credentials [​IMG]

When I try to access the share with a Windows 7 laptop in the home it connects right away without a prompt for credentials. When I try to access the share from another Windows 10 device (Surface) there is a prompt for credentials and I am unable to access the shared folder. There are no common account names between machines on my home network.

On the Windows 10 machine which is trying to connect I have run Net use * /DELETE and removed all Windows Credentials using the Credentials Manager then rebooted both machines a few times. Still though the Windows 7 machine can access the share with no credentials and the Windows 10 machine can't access it at all.

My goal is to get the share working for the Windows 10 machine as it works for the Windows 7. Full access, no prompt for credentials. I've workaround steps that will provide access so that type of information isn't needed.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and any help would be most appreciated.

:)

Arsenal, Sep 5, 2015
  2. trippap Win User

Network credentials?

I just upgraded a laptop that was running Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 Pro. The laptop connects to my LAN wirelessly and there are five other computers on the same LAN, several with wired connections and two with wireless connections. All computers get good LAN
    access and access to the Internet, so I do not believe I have a router problem.

Under Win 8.1 I had no trouble sharing files with a computer running Win 7 (browsing/opening files on the Win 7 computer on the Win 8.1 computer). After the upgrade to Win 10, I cannot connect to anything on the Win 7 computer, even though file sharing is
    enabled with no passwords required. I get a dialog box asking me to enter Network credentials, and nothing I enter works, including the domain\username and password of the Win 7 computer. Windows, of course, gives no hint to what "network credentials" it is
    looking for or where the demand for credentials originates. The shares I set up on the Win 7 machine give full control permission to "Everyone".

There have been discussions in the past about this sort of problem, but no definitive answers as to what causes it or what credentials are supposed to be entered to satisfy what piece of network security. I'd appreciate any ideas as to how to diagnose and
    fix this very annoying problem.

trippap, Sep 5, 2015
  3. jagman55 Win User
    How to connect Windows 10 to an existing network cwith Windows 7

My 2 older Win 7 PCs are on Homegroup, my own network, Desktop on WIRED to router, Laptop on wireless.

New Laptop, Lenovo Win 10.

In trying to share, have:

All have account names

All have same password

All wireless same network (home)

one on same router directly connected

ALL shared with security with EVERYONE

ALL PERMISSIONS checked

YET, any attempt to access, brings up a CREDENTIAL LOGON and nothing seems to be accepted. when entered"

\\name\pw

name\pw

etc

jagman55, Sep 5, 2015
  4. Arsenal Win User

I've got this working although I'm not entirely certain as to why. The Windows 10 machine that was trying to connect had been logged on to with a Microsoft account which was created on purchase. I created a new local account on that machine and then tried accessing the share with complete success. I'm sure there is some kind of reason for this behavior but I am unable to provided it.

Arsenal, Sep 5, 2015
  5. chrismine Win User
    I had the same problem. Solved by accident. When the Windows 10 ask for credentials use the Microsoft account and password you use to log on to the Windows 10 machine. Hope it works for you too.

chrismine, Sep 5, 2015
  6. Antonius Win User
    I have once laptop with the Microsoft account and login in as you said, however, the other machine is not logged in and I have no idea how to access it's public folders. No matter what I type in the network credentials i cannot access the shared folder or map a network drive.

LOL, i just added a username and password to my wife's laptop and when I try to connect on the network it does not accept the password. LOL this is seriously ludicrous.

Antonius, Nov 29, 2015
  7. ddelo Win User
    I had the same problem.
    I setup a shared folder in a laptop running Windows 10 Pro, with NO homegroup and the password protected sharing set to OFF.

A second laptop with Windows 10 Home, which was trying to access the shared folder, had logged in with a MS account.
    When asked for UserName/Password, as chrismine mentioned, I typed the MS account credentials used to login to this second laptop…. and bingo!!!...everything worked.

I presume that there would be no credentials request, if the second laptop had logged in with a local account, but I haven’t tried it.

Hope that helps someone else, although KUDOS go to chrismine, for his “accidental” solution.

ddelo, Dec 19, 2015
  8. Win 10 PC accessing a Win 10 Everyone share prompted for credentials

Here is the solution for this issue :

1 Right click on the folder that you want to share
    2. Go to Properties
    3. Go to Security Tab then click Edit on group and usernames
    4. Click Add and on the user and group window click advance
    5. Click Find Now and look for Everyone on the Search results, Click OK to close the window and OK again
    6. Give the control you need for Everyone and click "OK"

That should make that folder accessible without prompting for windows credentials *Smile

jeremygoce, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 PC accessing a Win 10 Everyone share prompted for credentials - Similar Threads - accessing Everyone share

2. Share and Remote win 10 pro PC's won't work, credentials fail

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Share and Remote win 10 pro PC's won't work, credentials fail: I have 3 Win 10 Pro PC's that I cannot get to share or work with remote desktop. Always comes back with credentials failed and I have changed my Windows account password multiple times. This did work until I got an additional PC with windows Pro for my security cameras. All...
  3. Credentials i win 10

Credentials i win 10: I have had a media player connected (lan ) for some time now. My isp had to change out the router under a repair, but now, to access the media player i get the message below coming up. What are they after; what username and password. Don't recall entering them before....
  4. Credentials i win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Credentials i win 10: I have had a media player connected (lan ) for some time now. My isp had to change out the router under a repair, but now, to access the media player i get the message below coming up. What are they after; what username and password. Don't recall entering them before....
  5. Credential Manager Prompt after Login Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    Credential Manager Prompt after Login Win 10 Pro: After logging in with my user account, I'm prompted to insert a smart card via Credential Manager. I then have to cancel out of the pop up about 5 times before it goes away for good. This happens every time after I login. I do need to use my smart card, but it's only when...
  6. Sharing - Win 7 Share - Win 10 access

Sharing - Win 7 Share - Win 10 access: Just added a new Win 10 Pro desktop to the network. It needs to access a Win 7 desktop shared folder. I get the error message Windows cannot access \\NAComp1-PC Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a network problem. 0x80070035 The network path...
  7. Win 10 not accessing shares on the network

Win 10 not accessing shares on the network: I have a problem that Win 10 Is not accessing any share on the network. Shared folders, File server drives are also not accessible. just error 0x80070035. I have tried almost every thing on the internet but unable to solve the problem.....please any suggestions are highly...
  8. Transfer Win 10 Credentials

in Browsers and Email
    Transfer Win 10 Credentials: A month ago a friend ("Cookie" -- and the name fits!) gave me a nice older machine with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 (2.33GHz), 3GB RAM (expandable to 8GB), 485GB hard drive (most of it free space), and a Windows 10 install that was upgraded from Vista last year. It is now...
  9. Cannot access Win 10 shared drive from Win 7 PC - SOLVED.

Cannot access Win 10 shared drive from Win 7 PC - SOLVED.: I have been fighting with this problem for about a week, but finally fixed it and for what it is worth would like to share (no pun intended) with other members. I have one Win 10 Laptop, one Win 7 Laptop and a Win 7 Desktop. My main machine is the Win 10 laptop which has...
  10. Preserving credentials when sharing folder under Win 10 for Win XP.

Preserving credentials when sharing folder under Win 10 for Win XP.: I would like to share a folder under Windows 10 Professional and access it under venerable Windows XP Home. I have no problems with sharing protected by passoword, but after any shut down/restart of Win XP it looses this credentials. How could I store this credentials...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. new laptop at home trying to access network share prompted for credentials

2. windows 10 no prompted for credential access in network share