Windows 10: Win 10 permissions and take ownership

Discus and support Win 10 permissions and take ownership in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a user who can take ownership of a folder when i have expressly denied the user and administrator/s all permissions including take ownership... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by johnst99, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:22 PM.

1. johnst99 Win User

Win 10 permissions and take ownership

I have a user who can take ownership of a folder when i have expressly denied the user and administrator/s all permissions including take ownership

Users on a single Win 10 PC and as I am not just the only one who uses the PC I want to lock a folder down to stop anyone else accessing the folder who may use the PC.

Below are examples account names but demonstrate the problem

*** Email address is removed for privacy *** me

*** Email address is removed for privacy *** another user on the PC

all other accounts are disabled

Using the advanced folder permissions I have disabled inheritance on the folder and denied all permissions for administrator account which is disabled and the other user on the PC *** Email address is removed for privacy *** both users *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and *** Email address is removed for privacy *** have microsoft accounts and are linked for login on the PC.

I am trying to ensure that the user account on the PC *** Email address is removed for privacy *** or any other new account or administrator who uses the PC, cannot access my personal folder or get access by taking ownership.

Strangely even though the "effective access" for the user *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and administrator states the user/s are denied all permissions have tried both not allowing and denying, the user *** Email address is removed for privacy *** can still "take ownership". I can stop the administrator taking access but I cannot stop the other user *** Email address is removed for privacy *** who is an administrator. taking access !

The only factor that may be relevant is that the user *** Email address is removed for privacy *** was the first user created when i installed windows and the fact that the account names are similar. I dont think they are in the same family they were once but this wont make a difference ?

Please advise as this is incredibly frustrating

:)

2. Ownership Issues

that will not hurt taking ownership, but I would also then look in the list of users on the ownership page and make sure your user account name is there with full permissions. Probably not.

even though you take ownership of an item, you may not be in the list of users with permissions.

first select disable inheritance, then select "ADD" in the list of users, and add your user account the same way you took ownership and select full permissions.

Then administrators may only have select permissions in the list. so after you disable inheritance, delete admins user. then select add again and select admins in the list and select full permissions

restart pc

3. slance310 Win User
    Cannot take ownership of external HDD(permissions complications)

Hi,

When you take\change Ownership, the is a box to check right under where the Owner is listed to apply to folders and subfolders...

You may have missed that step... I will include the steps I use for this...

Use at your own risk...

Change Ownership and add OwnerName as a USER

Select Security Tab and then ADVANCED at the bottom.

Here you can edit the permissions for existing users and\or add another..

Click "CHANGE" next to Owner at the top of the window...

Select...

1) Advanced

2) Find Now

3) Select User from list...Your user name, or any you want to add.

4) check the box "Replace Owner On Subcontainers and Objects"

5) Hit "Apply"

Close out of all of the open windows and start over with the Advanced button...

1) select "ADD" near the bottom

2) select "Select A Principal" at the top...

3) Advanced

4) Find Now

5) Select User from list...Your user name, or any you want to add.

6) Give the new user\owner full permissions...

7) Do Not check the box "Include Inheritable Permissions From This Object's Parent""

8) Select "Apply"...

4. Bree Win User

Permission issue

Presumably because TrustedInstaller is the owner (hence you need its permission), suggesting that img3.jpg was installed by Windows at some time.

Presumably that also means it can be uninstalled. How did you get it in the first place? Where is it located?

If you really want to delete it yourself, then taking ownership would seem a logical first step.

Thema:

1. Win 10 permissions and take ownership - Similar Threads - permissions ownership

2. System lowering other sounds without permission during Skype calls.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System lowering other sounds without permission during Skype calls.: Good evening. I used Skype everyday on Windows 8 and Ubuntu, and I was used to configure the system to not do nothing with sound volume while on a Skype call. However a month ago I bought a new Dell laptop which has Windows 10 installed. As usual, I went in sound...
  3. Admin Account "Incomplete" Permissions with Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Admin Account "Incomplete" Permissions with Task Scheduler: I have a bizarre problem, and here are some basic facts: Computer: HP laptop, originally purchased with 64-bit Windows 10 Home Current OS: 64-bit Windows 10 Pro - upgraded after the initial purchase upgrade, not a fresh install I am the administrator on the computer, and...
  4. Privacy Settings - App permissions, why two settings for basically the same?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Privacy Settings - App permissions, why two settings for basically the same?: Hello everybody, in the Privacy Settings under App permissions there are basically three settings for every sub-item: Allow access to xyz on this device. Allow apps to access xyz and choose which apps can access xyz. What's the difference between the first two? With...
  5. Trouble running programs from search, possibly related to permissions/taking ownership

Trouble running programs from search, possibly related to permissions/taking ownership: Recently, I upgraded my computer motherboard and all, reactivated Windows on my old hard drive, then put in a new SSD and installed Windows fresh on that. When I tried to transfer my files over from my old hard drive, I found that the my user directory Users/Owner/ didn't...
  6. Can't Reset PC - Permissions - Lost Ownership?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't Reset PC - Permissions - Lost Ownership?: Hi. I was messing around with the "permissions" under the properties, security, permissions area. I seem to have lost access to everything on my computer, even on my administrative accounts. When I try to click "change owner" it freezes now. When I try to reset my PC, it...
  7. Impossible to change permissions or take ownership over file.

Impossible to change permissions or take ownership over file.: Windows 10 64-bit I have a file that AVG Antivirus Free has detected as a Trojan-gen with the name "DBcHMDC" this file is located in the "C:\ProgramData" folder. When i ask AVG to solve the issue, it isn't able to do anything. So i went to check on the file myself, it turns...
  8. Error messages when taking ownership or changing permissions in C:\

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Error messages when taking ownership or changing permissions in C:\: I created a Guest account in Windows 10 and I wanted to restrict its access to my other drives/partitions. I managed to do it for my other drives via security/permission settings, but I'm encountering a bunch of error messages such as "failed to enumerate objects" or "file in...
  9. Take ownership(my permission hell)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Take ownership(my permission hell): I've been using take ownership since maybe my win7 days even vista but M$ has done something to the process as take ownership no longer applies to everything in a folder. It's been hell trying to restore my older profiles every time I am forced to reinstall the OS(10th time...
  10. Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders...

in Windows 10 Support
    Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders...: running out of ideas, just can't seem to gain full control of folders or files in the windowsapps folder, i can delete files and folders but i can't rename files or folders or edit file content... for example when i try to edit a file name i get: "you require permission...