Windows 10: Win 10 photos : "we can't open this file"

Discus and support Win 10 photos : "we can't open this file" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a strange issue with a particular animated gif file. Windows photo can play other animated gifs just fine, but for some reason, it cannot play... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Question2009th, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Win 10 photos : "we can't open this file"

I have a strange issue with a particular animated gif file. Windows photo can play other animated gifs just fine, but for some reason, it cannot play this one.

The file is NOT corrupt, i can open it just fine if i use firefox or another browser for example. But for some reason, windows photo cannot open it properly. When i try, the image appears for a split second in windows photos and then is replaced by the error message : "we can't open this file". There is no explanation as to why.

The weirder thing is that this is the same file that I was able to open with windows photos before i lost my SSD and had to redownload it from the net.

I have tried repairing/resetting windows photos but it makes no difference. Also tried redownloading the file, but it made no difference. Windows photos won't open it properly.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get windows photos to open the file properly?

I can upload the animated gif here but it might be considered NSFW.

:)

Question2009th, Jul 28, 2020

2. unable to open jpg in windows 10 "we can't open this file"

Hello,

There are several ways to open an image file in Windows 10. If a photo cannot be viewed using the
    Photo App, we suggest opening it using a different app. The steps below will help you
    set Photo Viewer as your default image viewer:

• Press Windows Key + S and enter default programs. Select
      Default Programs
      from the list.
    • Select Set your default programs.
    • Select Windows Photo Viewer and click the Set this program as default.
    • Click OK to save changes.

After setting Photo Viewer as your default image viewer, open those
    .JPG files and see if the issue still occurs.

Should you have further questions, feel free to post them on this thread.

Jefferson Ore, Jul 28, 2020
  3. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Jul 28, 2020
  4. RomanF Win User

Win 10 photos : "we can't open this file"

"We can't open this file" on JPG photos Windows 10

When I try to open with Photos, it says "IMG_xxxxxxx.jpg We can't open this file."
    When I try to open with Windows photo viewer it says "Windows photos viewer can't open this picture because either Photo Viewer doesn't support this file format, or you don't have the latest updates to windows photo viewer"

Help pls.

RomanF, Jul 28, 2020
Thema:

Win 10 photos : "we can't open this file"

1. Win 10 photos : "we can't open this file" - Similar Threads - photos can't open

2. Microsoft Photos Error We can't open this file For iPhone Photos with .HEIC file format

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Photos Error We can't open this file For iPhone Photos with .HEIC file format: Hi Microsoft Community, I am unable to open iPhone photos with .HEIC extension using Microsoft Photos. I have HEIF Image Extensions installed, however the error remains the same. My Windows version is as under: Edition Windows 10 Home Version 20H2 Installed on...
  3. Win 10 photos : "we can't open this file"

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 photos : "we can't open this file": I have a strange issue with a particular animated gif file. Windows photo can play other animated gifs just fine, but for some reason, it cannot play this one. The file is NOT corrupt, i can open it just fine if i use firefox or another browser for example. But for some...
  4. Windows 10 'We can't open this file' on most .jpg files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 'We can't open this file' on most .jpg files: I have a number of .jpg files that I cannot open in either Photos or File Viewer Plus. These files were all scanned and saved. There are several identical files that will open, however most of them will not. I have attempted a repair/reset of Photos, as well as a couple of...
  5. HEIC We can't open this file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HEIC We can't open this file.: To get the HEIF Image Extensions I went to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/heif-image-extensions/9pmmsr1cgpwg?activetab=pivot:overviewtab > Get. Afterwards it said "This Product is Installed". When I clicked on an HEIC file it launched Photos, but gave the message,...
  6. Microsoft Photo : We can't open this file

Microsoft Photo : We can't open this file: Hello, I am hoping that someone might have experienced this issue and have a resolve for it. In Windows 10 I use the Microsoft photos to view and edit pictures, today I got this message " We can't open this file" it is jpg file …I've been using it for a couple of years now...
  7. problem not opening photos .. telling we cant open this file

problem not opening photos .. telling we cant open this file: when i clicked on my personal photos it is lauching the photos app as i know but the photo is not showing instead that it is telling that ''we can open this file''...
  8. Can't open some JPGs with Windows Photos app "We can't open this file"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't open some JPGs with Windows Photos app "We can't open this file": One have one client who can't open JPGs with Windows Photos, in certain circumstances. Her Windows/program/files are OK because I can transfer the same JPGs to my PC and they open I can open the same JPGs if I navigate/open from within the Photos app I can open the same...
  9. "We can't open this file" message in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    "We can't open this file" message in File Explorer: This morning I attempted to view a few jpg's in File Explorer and found it generated this message: "We can't open this file"... I can't open any image any longer... It worked beautifully last night... I want to be able to continue to use File Explorer... I searched the net...
  10. "We can't open this file" on JPG photos Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    "We can't open this file" on JPG photos Windows 10: I'm in a bit of a panic. I can't open 90% of my JPG photos. I have changed my default program to Photos, and downloaded a Reg Fix that seems to have helped others with the same issue. Still no change. When I go into the properties of a photo that cannot be displayed, all the...