Windows 10: Win 10 Pro - Built-in VPN Host/Server L2TP

Discus and support Win 10 Pro - Built-in VPN Host/Server L2TP in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Guys, I have a question about setting up VPN Host on my office machine running win 10 pro, as I want to connect from home to work through rdp.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by James D_792, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Win 10 Pro - Built-in VPN Host/Server L2TP

Hi Guys,

I have a question about setting up VPN Host on my office machine running win 10 pro, as I want to connect from home to work through rdp. When I asked this question on other forums, everyone rather than telling the pros/cons of win 10 built-in VPN pointed out either buy a gateway/router with built-in VPN, install DDWRT on router, use OPENVPN or Pfsense. My question is what's wrong with built-in win 10 VPN Host?

Other question is, if I decided to go with win 10 VPN, I saw few videos/tutorials they set the L2TP encryption on the client machine. I did not see the settings on the Host machine to accept on L2TP connection. Is this correct? Also, can I change the default port setting on the router to any other port for vpn connection, such as RDP port. I changed the default RPD port.

Thanks in advance.

:)

James D_792, Jan 22, 2020

2. VPN L2TP server

I have previously configured a Windows 10 pc to accept incoming VPN traffic via broadband using PPTP protocol, but now that Apple have discontinued PPTP support on IOS/OSX based devices in favour of other protocols e.g. L2TP/IPsec, I have no apparent
    way of accessing my private network via an Apple client and a Windows based VPN server. Is there is a way to do something similar via an Apple based client and a Windows 10 pc running an L2TP based server?

RichardAppleton, Jan 22, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Pro 1903 l2tp/ipsec psk vpn not working

Hello everyone,

after the upgrade to 1903, my vpn is not working anymore, the popup for user login is not showed and it remains in "connecting" state.

The vpn is an l2tp/ipsec with preshared key, using the built-in vpn client.

I don't see packets coming on vpn server side.

On both updated laptops the behavior is the same, on not updated computers the vpn is working fine.

Someone is having the same problem?

Someone has suggestions on how to solve it?

Thanks

Stefano B2K, Jan 22, 2020
  4. Win 10 Pro - Built-in VPN Host/Server L2TP

Error: 788, when connecting to L2TP VPN

Hi there, recently I got this error when connecting to "L2TP/IPSec with certificate" VPN. I'm not sure what cause this.

I have already follow some of this steps with no luck :

• Adding AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule
    • Restarting both IKE and IPSec services
    • Allowing both CHAP and MS-CHAP v2
    • Reset network connection
    • Connect to different provider
    • Re-adding VPN settings
    There also little bit information can be found in the event viewer :

CoId={AEE0E2A8-34DF-41BB-B5F0-0458EFD41751}: The user xxx\xxx has started dialing a VPN connection using a per-user connection profile named yes. The connection settings are:

Dial-in User = *\

VpnStrategy = L2TP

DataEncryption = Requested

PrerequisiteEntry =

AutoLogon = No

UseRasCredentials = Yes

Authentication Type = PAP

Ipv4DefaultGateway = Yes

Ipv4AddressAssignment = By Server

Ipv4DNSServerAssignment = By Server

Ipv6DefaultGateway = Yes

Ipv6AddressAssignment = By Server

Ipv6DNSServerAssignment = By Server

IpDnsFlags =

IpNBTEnabled = Yes

UseFlags = Private Connection

ConnectOnWinlogon = No

IPsec authentication for L2TP = Machine certificate.

CoId={AEE0E2A8-34DF-41BB-B5F0-0458EFD41751}: The user xxx\xxx is trying to establish a link to the Remote Access Server for the connection named yes using the following device:

Server address/Phone Number = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Device = WAN Miniport (L2TP)

Port = VPN3-1

MediaType = VPN.

CoId={AEE0E2A8-34DF-41BB-B5F0-0458EFD41751}: The user xxx\xxx dialed a connection named yes which has failed. The error code returned on failure is 788.

***Original title: VPN Error 788***

Syafii Azami, Jan 22, 2020
Thema:

Win 10 Pro - Built-in VPN Host/Server L2TP

1. Win 10 Pro - Built-in VPN Host/Server L2TP - Similar Threads - Pro Built VPN

2. VPN L2TP Broken.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VPN L2TP Broken.: With the Recent updates on Windows 11, Last 3 weeks, my L2tp connection is not able to connect. I use Preshared key, not certificates. But the attempts are not leaving from Computer. Below Error Appears : If you do suggested command, the output is also not helpful Does anyone...
  3. VPN L2TP Broken.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VPN L2TP Broken.: With the Recent updates on Windows 11, Last 3 weeks, my L2tp connection is not able to connect. I use Preshared key, not certificates. But the attempts are not leaving from Computer. Below Error Appears : If you do suggested command, the output is also not helpful Does anyone...
  4. VPN Server on Windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    VPN Server on Windows 10 pro: Hello, Would like to know to process to set up and configure VPN server on Windows 10 pro system. Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vpn-server-on-windows-10-pro/7e75c220-e5cc-4d23-80a5-198e956e891a
  5. L2TP VPN will not authenticate/communicate

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    L2TP VPN will not authenticate/communicate: I have a client using a VPN we established through a Unifi Security Gateway. This client is no longer able to connect to our VPN. I have checked that all the settings are correct as far as log in creds and the PSK. I have tried enabling MS CHAP v2 and it was already enabled....
  6. Windows 10 built-in VPN, server name?

Windows 10 built-in VPN, server name?: Hi, While in the COVID lockdown, I was navigating through Windows when I came across the Windows 10 built-in VPN fortuitously. The phrase "Built-in VPN" caught my attention, knowing that many offer VPN services for a premium and now Windows 10 is giving me access to a...
  7. Problem VPN L2TP/Ipsec Microsoft Win 10 PRO

Problem VPN L2TP/Ipsec Microsoft Win 10 PRO: Hello, I can't get a VPN connection. I am using standard windows 10 VPN. I am using L2TP / IPSEC with pre-shared key. Once the connection works and sometimes not. Where can I view the log? How to diagnose VPN connections. Please help Arek...
  8. Server Name for Windows 10 built in VPN

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Server Name for Windows 10 built in VPN: Hi Do i have to sign up for a VPN services to use the built in VPN in Windows 10? I read the instructions and can do everything to set up the VPN but i have no idea what the Server name is. How do you determine the server name or IP to plug in?...
  9. Multiple VPN connections to a hosted server

Multiple VPN connections to a hosted server: Hello All I had a strange one for you this morning, We have demo kits that use a 4g router to transmit data to a software system on a hosted server, my question is using a VPN could we connect multiple 4g routers to 1 hosted system? using the same VPN Client on each...
  10. L2TP VPN on Windows 10

L2TP VPN on Windows 10: Hello. I'm brand new to Windows 10. I've been living in OS X the past few year and just getting reacquainted with Windows. I'm trying to connect to my VPN server which I've been using (and continue to use) successfully with my Macs and iOS devices. L2TP over IPSEC. I cannot...