Windows 10: Win 10 Pro Creators update taskbar clock anomaly - any suggestions?

Discus and support Win 10 Pro Creators update taskbar clock anomaly - any suggestions? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Ahoy! I've upgraded Windows 10 Pro 64 bit to the Windows 10 Creators Edition, and the taskbar clock shows the correct time but ought to have a :... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Pirate77, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Pirate77 Win User

Win 10 Pro Creators update taskbar clock anomaly - any suggestions?

Ahoy!

I've upgraded Windows 10 Pro 64 bit to the Windows 10 Creators Edition, and the taskbar clock shows the correct time but ought to have a : separator, but instead it now has a square  shape separator. It wasn't like this prior to the installation of the Creators Edition and I've checked all my clock, region, time zone and language settings and they're all correctly set-up. So, has anyone else noticed this anomaly and/or know how to correct or fix the anomaly?

TIA.

:)

Pirate77, Apr 22, 2017

2. clock in taskbar (tray?) with box symbol separator

Hi Michael = Did you use a tweaking suite to change Type fonts, as this is reported as a cause for the anomaly here, which also gives the fix for that? Win 10 Pro Creators update taskbar clock anomaly - any suggestions? Solved - Windows 10 Forums
    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I'll keep working with you until this is resolved.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Apr 22, 2017
  3. Clock missing from taskbar

Just updated surface pro 3 to anniversary edition of win 10 1067, and now the clock is missing in the taskbar. There's a space where the clock should be, and clicking there brings up the clock/calendar. If I dock taskbar to top or bottom, the clock shows.
    Docked left or right, it doesn't show, regardless of the width of the taskbar. It was working previous to this update.

//edit: problem resolved by changing theme.

Bill_Down_Under, Apr 22, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I would try going to settings, personalization, themes. Try applying/re-applying one of the Windows themes.

NavyLCDR, Apr 22, 2017
  5. Edwin New Member
    Did you mess around with System Fonts as I just did?

Win 10 Pro Creators update taskbar clock anomaly - any suggestions? [​IMG]

Edwin, Apr 22, 2017
  6. Pirate77 Win User
    Ahoy!

Thx for the suggestion which I've tried, but to no avail. I also turned off/on system icons but that changed nothing. I appreciate it's a minute detail, but like anything, you know it's there and it becomes irritating, but your input is appreciated.

Pirate77, Apr 22, 2017
  7. Todd Win User
    I had exactly the same problem after messing with the system fonts via Winaero Tweaker.

Anyway, I simply did a reinstall of Creators Update and that fixed it. No Clean Install just a simple Update or Upgrade and keep original programs, etc. and that fixed it.

8. Pirate77 Win User

Ahoy!

Thanks for the suggestion which I'll try. With respect to my previous posts and for the suggestions other contributors have made, I've reset W10 CE font back to default and followed several suggestions from others who have had a similar issue, and after rebooting, there is no change and the clock on the taskbar still has a square instead of a colon separator, but Winaero and Ultimate Windows Tweaker didn't correct the anomaly. I'll update the thread with my findings in due course.

Pirate77, Apr 24, 2017
  9. Todd Win User
    Yes, it was a weird problem and I searched Google in vain for a solution. So I decided to just reinstall the Win 10 CU, as I said, and that fixed it.

The great lesson of it, I guess, is not to change any of the default fonts in CU but restrict yourself to just changing their sizes.

Re-doing the install only takes about 40 minutes and then all will be well again.

I'm sure this work for you! *Smile

10. midgo Win User
    I had this issue with Win 10 Pro Creators as well after I changed the system font to Arial using winaero tweaker.
    I just went back there and restored that page to the default font which is Segoe UI and the clock went back to normal.
    All the other changes I made in the advanced appearance section all worked and I am please with the appearance on Win 10 Pro CE now.
    Hope this helps...

midgo, May 5, 2017
  11. Found a fix if you want to use custom system font. Go to the registry to:

HKCU\ControlPanel\International

Double click on "sShortTime"

Open up Character Map, switch to unicode and search for "colon"

Pick the last one that shows up (U+A789: Modifier Letter Colon)

Copy that and replace the colon in the sShortTime string.

Hit "OK" and wait for the clock to change to the next minute. Blam! Colon *Smile

threevolve, May 18, 2017
  12. Pirate77 Win User
    Ahoy there mateys!

After much faffing about, I've finally sorted it. The bottom line was that the default Segoe UI font package wasn't installed, so no wonder there was a Win 10 Pro CE 64 Bit OS update SNAFU. From memory, I searched online for as many Segoe UI fonts and associated Segoe UI fonts I could find either as separates or as a single package and downloaded them. By double-clicking the font it installed into the Fonts folder of Windows 10.

I then shut down Windows and re-booted. I then opened the Winaero Tweaker utility and scrolled to the Change System Font icon, selected Segoe UI and then closed down Windows 10 again and rebooted so the change can be applied. Once the OS has been loaded, the square clock separator was replaced with the colon : as it should be, and (touch wood) it's been fine ever since.

What a chore, but if others have had the same or similar issues, then do try the method that worked for me, and I'm no techno-geek, so anyone can do it *Nerd

Pirate77, May 19, 2017
  13. Edwin New Member

Found another 'fix' for those who like to mess with System Fonts:

In the Settings, use a semi-colon: h;mm

instead of a colon: h:mm

(Depends on the font use choose though!)

Edwin, May 23, 2017
  14. Great Post - Fixed problem here!

camperdicks, Jun 10, 2017
  15. Pirate77 Win User
    Ahoy!

As an experiment, I tried your method and I can confirm it does exactly what it says on the tin! Excellent info, and if a dufus like me can follow the guide, then anyone can *Nerd

Pirate77, Jun 10, 2017
Thema:

1. Win 10 Pro Creators update taskbar clock anomaly - any suggestions? - Similar Threads - Pro Creators update

2. Taskbar Clock

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar Clock: When I click on the taskbar clock, it shows notifications and calendar. Is there any way to customize this so that when I click it, long time shows up with the notifications and calendar hh:mm:ss. It used to have the feature but then it updated and went away. Thanks!...
  3. My taskbar keeps glitching. Any suggestions?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My taskbar keeps glitching. Any suggestions?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MegaZoneEX [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i762s9/my_taskbar_keeps_glitching_any_suggestions/
  4. suggestion for game creators

in Windows 10 Gaming
    suggestion for game creators: Is it possible to create an algorithm to identify if someone finishes aMicrosoft Solitaire Collection Event in less than a reasonable time? Advertisements considered Obviously there are many complaints from people including myself, who're using this game to fill a gap in...
  5. Clock on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Clock on Taskbar: Since the update that took me from 1903 to 1909, the separator between the hours and minutes on my taskbar clock appears as a tiny blank square instead of a colon. I can't seem to change it, no matter what I do in settings. I can change the formats on the time and date to...
  6. taskbar clock

in Windows 10 Customization
    taskbar clock: how to enlarge the taskbar clock https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/taskbar-clock/b2e8347c-c1da-4307-8cd0-a9587716cbb0
  7. Win 10 Creators Update Not Happening

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Creators Update Not Happening: My wife and I both have Dell Inspiron 5558 laptops, identically configured. When the Creators Update was scheduled to be released, I set both of them to metered connection to hold off on the update while I waited to see if there were going to be any major issues reported....
  8. Win 10 Creators update and Slow Wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 Creators update and Slow Wifi: Hello everyone, Upon much Google'ing... there seems to be an issue after updating to the creators update and wifi connections. Let it be known that I was not intentionally tyring to update to Win 10 Creators update. I merely wanted to install the a regular version of Win 10...
  9. Win 10 after creators update installed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 after creators update installed: After creators update installed I have gotten pages Windows services running. My machine is running at about 50% CPU. At idle it's usually around 15 to 2%. I've never seen so many services running at 1 time sine Win NT!! See Screen captures 1 & 2 90542
  10. Other Suggested Win 10 Pro Optimizations?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Other Suggested Win 10 Pro Optimizations?: Now that build 10586 has gone public I've finally switched my main desktop PC over to 10 Pro from Windows 7. I took the safe route and did an upgrade install first, then a reset, and I'm starting to apply tweaks to get the most from it. My OS drive is an SSD, so I've...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 time in taskbar has square instead of colon

2. windows 7 system clock anomaly