Windows 10: Win 10 Pro product key not accepted

Discus and support Win 10 Pro product key not accepted in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I purchased a new laptop with Win 10 Home digital license. At the same time I purchased a Win 10 Pro update disk. When I try to change product key... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by GregNeff1, Mar 21, 2020.

1. GregNeff1 Win User

Win 10 Pro product key not accepted

I purchased a new laptop with Win 10 Home digital license. At the same time I purchased a Win 10 Pro update disk. When I try to change product key under Activation, the product key is not accepted. "The product key you entered didn't work".

:)

GregNeff1, Mar 21, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

Why was I not asked for a product key when upgrading to Win 10?

According to your spec you have Win 10 Pro, but perhaps that doesn't reflect your PC.

You haven't stated which edition of Win 10 you have on this machine, nor what your Win 10 key is for.

For example, if you already have Win 10 Pro and your key is Win 10 Home, that would be a retrograde step.

For interest only:
    Change Product Key in Windows 10

More on product key if you search this list or look at 'Related Tutorials' in the above.
    Windows 10 Tutorial Index

dalchina, Mar 21, 2020
  3. Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade

Hi,

I did not realise I had been at all vague, my apologies.

Unfortunately my neighbour now has his laptop back as I got nowhere. I have suggested he wait until the windows 10 upgrade system makes it available through windows update (it is in the queue).

As stated, I have tried running from the media created by the media creation tool to a USB (this is what I used to successfully upgrade my laptop and surface Pro). I have also run the media creation tool and opted for it to upgrade directly rather than save the files.

The operating system is Win7 Home premium OEM version. The key is valid and I re-validated it to be sure with the MS online actvation system. The laptop is 64-bit.

On each occasion it goes through the initial install steps and then gets to the screen where it asks for the product key.

On this screen there is no skip option and as the product key is not accepted, the only option is to cancel the install.

For some reason the upgrade seems to be taking a different path on this machine and does not give the skip option.

Regards
    Mike

mikepaterson, Mar 21, 2020
  4. RobCoxXA Win User

Win 10 Pro upgrade using Win 8 Pro product key

I just bought a new computer running Win 10 Home. When I went to upgrade to Win 10 Pro using my Win 8 Pro product key from my old computer, the upgrade wouldn't activate.

Now I'm stuck with a bunch of error messages (mainly 0xC004C003) and am being told windows isn't activated. I can't seem to get my activated Win 10 Home back.

I don't have a product key for the Win 10 Home because it came pre-installed. There's no product code recorded on the packaging or labelling on the device.

So:

How do I either

• activate the Win Pro upgrade, or
    • Get my activated Win 10 home back?

RobCoxXA, Mar 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Win 10 Pro product key not accepted - Similar Threads - Pro product key

2. Win 10 Pro product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Pro product key: Hi,I have a pc where the motherboard died and a retail licence of Windows 10 Pro. I need to swap it to a new build pc. The retailer say they don’t sell Microsoft products any more but they never sent me a product key email. Spoke with licensing phone support who say contact...
  3. Win 10 Pro product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 Pro product key: Hi,I have a pc where the motherboard died and a retail licence of Windows 10 Pro. I need to swap it to a new build pc. The retailer say they don’t sell Microsoft products any more but they never sent me a product key email. Spoke with licensing phone support who say contact...
  4. Win 10 Pro product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Product Key Not Accepted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product Key Not Accepted: I am hoping to transfer a Windows 10 Pro product key from an old laptop to a new Surface Go currently running in S mode.I have copied the key from the old laptop, removed the product key from it, cleared its registry, and have removed the old laptop from my Microsoft...
  6. Product Key Not Accepted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Product Key Not Accepted: I am hoping to transfer a Windows 10 Pro product key from an old laptop to a new Surface Go currently running in S mode.I have copied the key from the old laptop, removed the product key from it, cleared its registry, and have removed the old laptop from my Microsoft...
  7. Product Key Not Accepted

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Win 10 Pro Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Pro Product Key: Hello, I bought a laptop with an OEM version, that I subsequently upgraded to a full version installed via download. How do I find my product key? I have run CMD as an Administrator and entered wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey, but I suspect...
  9. Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10

Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10: I started the upgrade from Win 7 Home Premium to 10. I entered the product key, but get the message "Product Key didn't work". I have repeated this several times - I have the original disk & label, checked the key is correct via Belarc Advisor, have a message from Microsoft...
  10. Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade

Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade: Having upgraded my laptop and Surface Pro to Win 10, my neighbour asked me to do the same for his laptop running its original OEM applied Win7.1 Home premium. Unlike my 2 machines, when the win10 upgrade gets to the Product Key entry screen, there is no "Skip" option and...