Windows 10: Win 10 Pro : What VM Can I Safely Run Tax Prep Software In?

Discus and support Win 10 Pro : What VM Can I Safely Run Tax Prep Software In? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When I used to run Windows 7, I had Win XP running in a VM and that "sandbox" is where I would install my H&R Block tax software. (I had a lot of bad... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by M A Weiss, Feb 28, 2019.

1. M A Weiss Win User

Win 10 Pro : What VM Can I Safely Run Tax Prep Software In?

When I used to run Windows 7, I had Win XP running in a VM and that "sandbox" is where I would install my H&R Block tax software. (I had a lot of bad experiences with installing in in Windows and not properly cleaning up after itself and causing conflicts and erratic behavior, so I began using the 'sandbox' approach where I could just rest it after I was done with tax preparation.

But in Windows 10, I'm not sure how to do this. I see there's a way to install a copy of Windows 10 in Hypervisor, but I found out that is time limited and it will expire in about 10 days. I need to use the program til mid-April.

What options exist for running the software in a sandbox under Windows 10?

:)

M A Weiss, Feb 28, 2019

2. Win 10 running Winxp on VM

I am running Win 10 pro, I have installed WinXp on a Virtual machine, everything is running fine, but i can not instal software on my Winxp VM, i have tried dvd,cd discs& usb flash, i can not find any options to allow me to do this. i have read the help
    files and it says click options and select etc but i do not have the option for options??

paulDB1970, Feb 28, 2019
  3. Physical Machine Restore Image (Win 8.1) to New VM (on Win 10)

Hello everyone,

I made a Windows Image Backup of Windows 8.1 Pro on 7/29/15 before doing a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. Win 10 is up and running. I got Hyper-V running. i want to now have my old working everything installed version of Windows 8.1 pro running in a VM
    on the Win 10 machine.

I cannot seem to restore the backup image.

I have gotten close and it has taken forever to get there.

I tried installing a new Win 8.1 Pro VM and then restoring the image: Failed.

I tried an empty new VM with an empty drive, boot to 8.1 pro iso and then recover: Failed.

I get this a long error that ends with (0x80042412).

any suggestions?

Thanks.

Patrick Brewer

Edit #1: 7/31/15: No replies yet, I guess I am the only one.

Patrick A. Brewer, Feb 28, 2019
  4. Vee Insom Win User

Upgrade win 10 home to win 10 pro, keep win 10 home activation key for VM?

My current OS is Win 10 home, upgraded from win 8.1. It is an OEM installation.

I have the activation key saved in a safe place.

I also have a vmware vm running the same OS (win 10 home) with the same

activation key (yes, I know that won't work for the long term as the vm or

guest OS requires a new activation key).

I want to upgrade the host OS to win 10 pro (via the Settings/Update &

Security/Activation/Go to Store button, while still being able to use the

guest OS (win 10 home) and original activation key. Is this possible?

My fear is the original activation key for win 10 home will be nullified.

End result, win 10 pro as host OS, win 10 home as guest OS, TWO LEGAL keys.

Note: I already created a win 10 home ISO and USB drive using the

MediaCreationToolx64.

Thanks for your time.

Vee Insom, Feb 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Win 10 Pro : What VM Can I Safely Run Tax Prep Software In? - Similar Threads - Pro Safely Run

2. .HR Block tax software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .HR Block tax software: I can not open H&R Block Business program after update to windows11 from windows 10. Also wont work in compatibility mode for Windows 8. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hr-block-tax-software/6934a8b3-57ef-48f7-aaf1-6b05a6165e42
  3. .HR Block tax software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .HR Block tax software: I can not open H&R Block Business program after update to windows11 from windows 10. Also wont work in compatibility mode for Windows 8. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hr-block-tax-software/6934a8b3-57ef-48f7-aaf1-6b05a6165e42
  4. Tax software will not install

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tax software will not install: I am trying to install HR Block tax software. Each time, I am prompted to allow access to the drive I select Yes, and then nothing. I have turned off the antivirus Norton and firewall, no difference. I have disabled OneDrive, again nothing. Is there something in Windows...
  5. what is this? can I delete it safely?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    what is this? can I delete it safely?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/mozesty_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k19n5k/what_is_this_can_i_delete_it_safely/
  6. Turbo Tax will not run on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turbo Tax will not run on Windows 10: Turbo Tax installs correctly, but when trying to run it gives an error message that it cannot find the file. The path name is correct and the executable is there. Turbo Tax cannot solve this. I installed it on my laptop with window 7 and it runs. Does it have something...
  7. is it safe to run win 10 with encryption disabled

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    is it safe to run win 10 with encryption disabled: I purchased a WD 2 TB HD A moderator on this MS sight suggested I use a third-party utility to perform the backup (AOMEI) IT WAS DOING THE BACKUP BUT IT WAS BACKING UP THE ENTIRE DRIVE NOT JUST THE partitions in use. and when I did the follow-up incremental backups after a...
  8. Can tax software be run on Windows 10 S Mode?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can tax software be run on Windows 10 S Mode?: I like the idea of S Mode for safety and security, but can I use Turbo Tax or HR Block to file tax returns? Also, will S Mode allow the installation of printers if the setup file comes from HP?...
  9. Who else runs Win 10 in a VM?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Who else runs Win 10 in a VM?: I was turned on to the idea by swarfega from my Windows 10 Decrapifier post. I find it so funny as I have been in computers for a lot of years. Not to say that I've never ran VM's I have but just for testing things not to run another permanent OS. Anyway I downloaded VMware...
  10. Who else runs Win 10 in a VM?

in Windows 10 Support
    Who else runs Win 10 in a VM?: I was turned on to the idea by swarfega from my Windows 10 Decrapifier post. I find it so funny as I have been in computers for a lot of years. Not to say that I've never ran VM's I have but just for testing things not to run another permanent OS. Anyway I downloaded VMware...