Windows 10: Win 10 purchase (not upgrade) and Key# activation, from USB

Discus and support Win 10 purchase (not upgrade) and Key# activation, from USB in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Son wants to purchase w10, but can get the CD version $30 cheaper than the USB. Can he use the media creation tool on another PC for installation , and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mrpumpkin, Jul 14, 2016.

1. mrpumpkin Win User

Win 10 purchase (not upgrade) and Key# activation, from USB

Son wants to purchase w10, but can get the CD version $30 cheaper than the USB. Can he use the media creation tool on another PC for installation , and then use the key# from his CD to boot and activate?

Does an Official retail w10 CD have a visible key# that would work with the media creation tool?

Can an ISO be created from the retail CD? (No DRM problems)

This is a new build, and I have only upgraded PC's.

What's the best approach?

:)

mrpumpkin, Jul 14, 2016
  2. Time Lady Win User

Product Key issues

You cannot do a clean install of Win 10 unless it has been activated previously by going through the upgrade process from a previous version of Windows, using the media creation tool to burn Win 10 to a DVD or USB should give you the option to upgrade as
    well as clean install.

Now you'll either have to reinstall Win 8.1, activate it then upgrade to 10 or purchase a Win 10 key for your version (home or Pro).

Time Lady, Jul 14, 2016
  3. boii_799 Win User
    I am unable to upgrade Win 10 Home to Pro - error 0xc004f050

I purchased a new computer that came with Win 10 Home ("Activation - Windows is activated with a digital license").

I also purchased Win 10 Pro on Amazon - usb stick + activation key.

The stick didn't work for me at all so I downloaded a copy of Win 10 using the Windows Media Creator tool.

I successfully installed Win 10 Home on my machine.

Edition: Windows 10 Home

Version: 1709

OS Build: 16299.248

When I try to upgrade my computer from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro entering the Win 10 Pro activation key (5x5 key), I get the following message:

"The product key you enter didn't work. Check the product key and try again, or enter a different one. (0xc004f050)"

There is a plenty of posts online about this and I I have researched the issue but didn't get anywhere as I am still stuck with the same issue.

So to summarize, I have a fresh and activated copy of Win 10 Home installed on my computer and I am unable to upgrade to Win 10 Pro with the key that I purchased.

Is there something that I am missing?

boii_799, Jul 14, 2016
  4. Porthos Win User

The CD version is OEM and locked to the first computer it is installed to.
    The USB is retail and can be moved when Motherboard dies.

That's the $30 difference.

• Windows 10 OEM is a full version of the operating system not an upgrade. The OEM operating system is not supported by Microsoft. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product. Microsoft recommends all files and programs be backed-up prior to installation.
    • Windows 10 OEM is intended for pre-installation on a new PC and cannot be transferred to another computer once installed. Product ships in a white envelope.

Porthos, Jul 14, 2016
  5. Edwin New Member
    How much does the Electronic Software Download, (ISO), cost?
    They email your key.
    You could use PowerISO to create an iso file from the dvd.

Edwin, Jul 14, 2016
  6. mrpumpkin Win User
    He is fine with the OEM, just want's to get it installed, but has no optical drive on a new build

mrpumpkin, Jul 14, 2016
  7. Porthos Win User
    You can use the media creation tool. Code will work.

Porthos, Jul 14, 2016
  8. mrpumpkin Win User

I think he is ordering a physical copy.

mrpumpkin, Jul 14, 2016
  9. mrpumpkin Win User
    thx

mrpumpkin, Jul 14, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    It is illegal for him to purchase, install and use OEM Windows 10 on a personal computer that he intends to keep and use himself. Just so you are aware.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 purchase (not upgrade) and Key# activation, from USB - Similar Threads - purchase upgrade Key#

2. Windows 10 Purchase - Activation Key?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows 10 Purchase - Activation Key?: I have installed Windows 10 Pro on a desktop that previously ran Win 7 then Ubuntu. I need a key to activate so I went on the MS store and bought Win 10/11 and got confirmation e-mail for my $199 purchase, but it doesn't mention the key or how my purchase is going to be...
  3. Windows 10 Purchase - Activation Key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Purchase - Activation Key?: I have installed Windows 10 Pro on a desktop that previously ran Win 7 then Ubuntu. I need a key to activate so I went on the MS store and bought Win 10/11 and got confirmation e-mail for my $199 purchase, but it doesn't mention the key or how my purchase is going to be...
  4. Windows 10 Purchase - Activation Key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win 10 not activated after upgrading from activated Win 8.1

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 not activated after upgrading from activated Win 8.1: Hi. I've taken my laptop to a local PC shop to get it upgraded from Win 8.1 as it was extremely buggy. They upgraded to Win 10 Pro, but over time I started getting pop up messages asking to activate windows. Windows 8.1 was activated, as it came directly from the...
  6. Upgrading from Win 8.1 to Win 10 - Trouble with my Activation Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from Win 8.1 to Win 10 - Trouble with my Activation Key: Hi everyone. I'm trying to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 I'm running Windows 8.1 at the moment, On the Computer Property screen I checked if my WIindows is activated. It says it isn't even tho Windows is clearly is working. I entered the activation key that I...
  7. Didn't receive an activation key after purchasing an upgrade

Didn't receive an activation key after purchasing an upgrade: I purchased a laptop with pre-installed Win 10 Home. Then I purchased an upgrade to Win 10 Pro from MS Store. After the purchase, I installed the upgrade and received an email with the receipt. My credit card was charged, but I never received an email with the activation key...
  8. Purchased win 10 pro upgrade, now not activated

Purchased win 10 pro upgrade, now not activated: I purchased a new HP laptop 4 days ago with win 10 home. Yesterday I purchased win 10 pro upgrade from win store. when i rebooted today system says not activated. Troubleshooter error is 0x803F7001. Trouble shooter can't fix, please help. Michael...
  9. Win 10 Activation Key

Win 10 Activation Key: I have dell Inspiron win 7 was preinstalled in 2015 I took the free update to WIN 10 created a iso on a new dvd the original drive crashed in a few months I lost the recovery data from the original disk however DELL service center installed WIN 7 on the new drive and using...
  10. Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 not active ..requires product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 not active ..requires product key: GDay Win 10 users, Well I have successfully installed the Win 10 upgrade on 2 computers but failed on the third. I installed Win 10 from my Win 7 update (upgrade not clean install). During the process it asked for my Win 7 product key which I inputted and it was...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. key activator win 10 versi 1709 OS Build 16299.248