Windows 10: win 10 reboots for update, gets stuck, have to revert back

Discus and support win 10 reboots for update, gets stuck, have to revert back in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Mom's got legit Win10 Pro license. Has been having issues with a windows 10 update that keeps happening almost daily. When the update process starts,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Cajundweeb, Jan 22, 2023.

1. win 10 reboots for update, gets stuck, have to revert back

Mom's got legit Win10 Pro license. Has been having issues with a windows 10 update that keeps happening almost daily. When the update process starts, we get the circle of Death, and it stays this way indefinitely, until we shut down the machine, then attempt a repair of the OS. That fails, so Windows undoes the update. What could be causing it?

submitted by /u/Cajundweeb
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Cajundweeb, Jan 22, 2023

2. Win 10 Anniversary Update Stuck on Reboot

I have the exact same problem on my desktop. Computer installs the updates, and on its final reboot, it gets stuck on the black splash screen with the small white dots spinning in a circle. It will stay like this for several days. There is absolutely zero
    disk activity. I do a hard reset, and it tries to reboot again with the same result, except this time the message "attempting to recover your installation" appears for a few seconds and then goes away. Again, absolutely zero disk activity. So I do another
    hard reset, and this time, it goes "restoring your previous version of Windows", and a few minutes later, it reboots back to the previous Windows image.

I have tried this a dozen times. I tried it after

• sfc /scannow,
    • then after the manual "update now" at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10,
    • then after changing various settings & uninstalling some suspected programs & removing all of my extra hardware (basically stripping my computer hardware down to the essentials), per suggestions from other forums,
    • then after adding that regedit that was posted here (the WindowsUpdate\UX and the UX\Settings),
    • and I even tried the Media Creation Tool from another computer and tried installing the update via USB flash drive.
    And every single time, it's been the exact same result. Computer just gets stuck on its final reboot. I don't understand. The installation went smoothly on both my laptops, and yet somehow my desktop just keeps hanging up no matter what I do. Any ideas that
    I haven't already tried would be greatly appreciated.

FlyGuy2480, Jan 22, 2023
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    Windows 10 reverting update stuck.

Hi Louis,

This can be caused by a corrupted or damaged system file. You can refer to this
    article for troubleshooting steps in recovering Windows 10. You can skip the system restore section as it was already
    done and you got stuck reverting back.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Anne Ros, Jan 22, 2023
  4. Darrel N Win User

win 10 reboots for update, gets stuck, have to revert back

I upgraded to WIN 10, but when I rebooted the next day, it reverted to WIN 7

I upgraded to WIN 10, but when I rebooted the next day, it reverted to WIN 7

Darrel N, Jan 22, 2023
Thema:

win 10 reboots for update, gets stuck, have to revert back

1. win 10 reboots for update, gets stuck, have to revert back - Similar Threads - reboots update gets

2. Reverting back to Win 10 from Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reverting back to Win 10 from Win 11: So 2-3 days ago, i have installed windows 11 because windows 10 didnt want to update anything else, exept to windows 11. So i have updated. Now i want to revert to win10 because win10 ist more stable for me at the moment, and it i press on rollback, and i click my way through...
  3. Reverting back to Win 10 from Win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reverting back to Win 10 from Win 11: So 2-3 days ago, i have installed windows 11 because windows 10 didnt want to update anything else, exept to windows 11. So i have updated. Now i want to revert to win10 because win10 ist more stable for me at the moment, and it i press on rollback, and i click my way through...
  4. How to revert back to WIN 10 - WIN 11 Bad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to revert back to WIN 10 - WIN 11 Bad: Hello,I have upgraded my OS to WIN 11 from WIN 10. There are many issues and concerns regarding the device performance and UX for example1- The sound icon in the taskbar show sound muted however it is not2- The new taskbar missing many options such as right-click to show the...
  5. How to revert back to WIN 10 - WIN 11 Bad

How to revert back to WIN 10 - WIN 11 Bad: Hello,I have upgraded my OS to WIN 11 from WIN 10. There are many issues and concerns regarding the device performance and UX for example1- The sound icon in the taskbar show sound muted however it is not2- The new taskbar missing many options such as right-click to show the...
  6. Can I get Win 10 Back again after reverting to Win 7 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I get Win 10 Back again after reverting to Win 7 Pro: Gteetings: A crack developed in my Win 7 Pro disc rendering it useless. I am in the process of trying to salvage my wife's Dimensions E521 and part of it is to have that Win 7 Pro disc. So, can I do this: My desktop is an Inspiron 546 which has Win 10 Pro O/S by virtue of...
  7. Can I get Win 10 Back again after reverting to Win 7 Pro

Can I get Win 10 Back again after reverting to Win 7 Pro: Gteetings: A crack developed in my Win 7 Pro disc rendering it useless. I am in the process of trying to salvage my wife's Dimensions E521 and part of it is to have that Win 7 Pro disc. So, can I do this: My desktop is an Inspiron 546 which has Win 10 Pro O/S by virtue of...
  8. Windows 10 Update Getting reverting Back

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update Getting reverting Back: My windows Windows 10 Laptop, if use the option Update and restart, As a part of update process computer does couple of restarts after that computer get shutdown by itselfall the lights - power etc. stop glowing. Even if we wait for long time it wont restart by itself,...
  9. win 8.1 to Win 10 upgrades gets stuck at getting updates

win 8.1 to Win 10 upgrades gets stuck at getting updates: My Dad gave me his lenovo g50-30 - it wouldn't boot (stuck at the circles !) - He reckoned he had windows 10 running on it very slowly and thing like wifi weren't reliable. Anyway I did a lenovo factory reset to win 8.1 - and then tried to upgrade to win 10 via the media...
  10. Revert back to Win 7

Revert back to Win 7: I had reloaded Win 7 just prior to my upgrade to WIN10. Dont normally like to do an upgradebut I was pretty sure it was still clean. So on 2/14/16 id did the upgrade so I'm in the 30 day timeframe if that makes any difference. I just don't really like WIN 10. I did a...