Windows 10: WIN 10 - Recognizing portable drive connected to USB

Discus and support WIN 10 - Recognizing portable drive connected to USB in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I can't seem to get a new SATA drive to be recognized by windows 10. Connected to powered, Sabrent portable SATA holder and connected to the USB port... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jlbeek, Oct 2, 2018.

1. jlbeek Win User

WIN 10 - Recognizing portable drive connected to USB

I can't seem to get a new SATA drive to be recognized by windows 10.

Connected to powered, Sabrent portable SATA holder and connected to the USB port on a new Samsung laptop.

Looking in Device manager disk drives, there is no listing. Nothing in USB headers either.

Drive powers up and clicks through what sounds like normal initialization.

Windows 10 is fully up to date as well.

:)

jlbeek, Oct 2, 2018

2. portable usb drive is not recognized by windows 10

Issue:

Similar issue with a Samsung 500GB Flash and a (Win 8.1/upgraded
    Win 10) Toshiba tablet (both USB 2.0 & 3.0) not recognizing the drive giving me an error that the last USB device didn't work either.

Actual status indicators:

Went into device manager and noticed that I saw (under
    Disk Drives) theSamsung Portable SSD T1 SCSI Dish device which claimed it was working fine. After I deleted it twice, rebooted, and still no positive results, I noticed that the
    Universal Serial Bus Controller had a ?(!) on the Extensible Host Controller only when plugging in the Samsung.

Resolution:

So deleting both items and rebooting resolved my issue. (it replaced a corrupted extensible USB Host controller
    driver)

No guarantees, but good luck otherwise!

Skipper

SkipperHefel, Oct 2, 2018
  3. Hard drive not recognized Windows 10

Hi Curtis,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We understand your concern and we will provide the assistance you required to resolve the issue.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

1. Is the portable hard drive connected to your PC via USB cable?

2. Did you get any error message that the drive was not recognize by your PC?

For now, I would suggest that you check if the USB cable that connects the hard drive and the PC is not damaged. If not, then I would suggest that you connect your hard drive to another PC and check if the device is recognized in that particular computer.

If the device gets recognized, then I would suggest that you connect the external hard drive, open File Explorer and check if the drive has an assigned letter. If not, open Disk Management while the drive is connected to the system and follow the steps below.

1. Right click on the Start Menu and select Disk Management

2. Right click on the external drive>Select New Simple Volume and
    assign letter to the drive.

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Oct 2, 2018
  4. WIN 10 - Recognizing portable drive connected to USB

Portable drive recognisition

Hi Kenneth,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern that you are unable to connected the portable drive as it is not recognized after upgrade to Windows 10.

Please try the below and be informed us with the result:

• Have you tried to connect the drive to different ports and check?
    • Are you able to see if the drive is being detected by the device or not?
    • Have you connected this drive to any other computer and check?
    • Have you tried to connect different drive to this device to different ports and check?

Also, Please try to install all the Windows Updates on Windows 10 and check.

Steps:

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type Updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Microsoft Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install all the pending updates.

Please do the above to detect the issue is with the device or driver and updates us the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 2, 2018
Thema:

WIN 10 - Recognizing portable drive connected to USB

1. WIN 10 - Recognizing portable drive connected to USB - Similar Threads - Recognizing portable drive

2. USB drives no longer recognized by Win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB drives no longer recognized by Win 11: Hi all - It seems that somewhen in the last week or so my primary desktop has chosen to no longer recognize USB storage devices. Any of them. They all work just dandy on my Win10 laptop, but my Win11 desktop has just spontaneously decided that it doesn't like USB drives....
  3. USB drives no longer recognized by Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB drives no longer recognized by Win 11: Hi all - It seems that somewhen in the last week or so my primary desktop has chosen to no longer recognize USB storage devices. Any of them. They all work just dandy on my Win10 laptop, but my Win11 desktop has just spontaneously decided that it doesn't like USB drives....
  4. USB Portable Optical Drive not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Portable Optical Drive not working: Hi,I recently got a USB Portable Optical Drive, but it's not working.I plug it into my pc with a drive inside and an F drive pops up. I select it and it shows the Windows green loading bar for 5 mins, before the device's light turns off and it has to be unplugged and plugged...
  5. USB Portable Optical Drive not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Portable Optical Drive not working: Hi,I recently got a USB Portable Optical Drive, but it's not working.I plug it into my pc with a drive inside and an F drive pops up. I select it and it shows the Windows green loading bar for 5 mins, before the device's light turns off and it has to be unplugged and plugged...
  6. Portable devices are not being recognized when connected thru USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Portable devices are not being recognized when connected thru USB: Driver Provider: MicrosoftDriver Date: 6/21/2006Driver Version: 10.0.18362.900This device cannot start. Code 10{Access Denied}A process has requested access to an object, but has not been granted those access rights....
  7. portable hard drive to USB

portable hard drive to USB: I have a portable hard drive and I am using a USB sync and charge cable. It lights up and flashes but doesn't show in File Explorer. It shows in Devices and printers but can't access it. Tried each USB port and on 2 laptops. Any advice please...
  8. portable hard drives. removal of even recognizing

portable hard drives. removal of even recognizing: I kept all my info on my hard drives, suddenly when I needed info plugged the drive in nothing, neither of them, on either computer a 7 and this one a 10. They worked perfectly last time they were used, one a bluestork, and the other being a freecom. tried different leads but...
  9. usb portable diskette drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    usb portable diskette drive: I would like to know why I am not able to load the driver for the usb portable diskette drive. I have Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-portable-diskette-drive/3b187512-2e68-4bf3-82c3-3923fe7aa6bc"
  10. USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive

USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive: my computer tells me it is connected but It will not pull up the contents of the hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/usb-30-portable-hard-drive/6d81eff8-30de-4c8c-af1b-a320eff49697