Windows 10: WIN 10 recovery drive cannot find system image on second internal PC SSD

Discus and support WIN 10 recovery drive cannot find system image on second internal PC SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I create a system image each night of the C: drive and store it on a 1TB secondary internal DL: drive in the PC. If I boot to a USB recover drive it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PatrickMcGinnis1, Feb 10, 2021.

1. WIN 10 recovery drive cannot find system image on second internal PC SSD

I create a system image each night of the C: drive and store it on a 1TB secondary internal DL: drive in the PC.

If I boot to a USB recover drive it cannot find the system image on the 1TB D drive to recover back to the C drive.

What should I do?

:)

PatrickMcGinnis1, Feb 10, 2021

2. System Recovery to a New Drive in Windows 10 using a stored system image.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

From the description, we understand that, using the recovery disk and selecting recovery using the system image, it will not restore and you get error message saying
    original SSD drive is locked.

We suspect that the issue is due to the firmware is not updated. Hence we suggest you to follow the steps and check.

Step 1: Perform clean install of Windows 10.

How to: Do a clean install of Windows 10

Refer the article from the link:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08

Step 2: Update the SSD firmware

Every Solid State Drive (SSD) manufacturer pushes out firmware update to address technical issues, bugs, and improve SSD performance.

Step 3: Try to restore from the recovery image and check if the issue persists.

Hope this information helps, Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Feb 10, 2021
  3. Windows no longer recognizes second internal hard drive

Why is it both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 no longer recognize a second internal hard drive?

Previously in both my Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 PC’s, I had an internal second drive connected in each PC and both worked quite well. In the case of the Windows 8.1 PC, I used to use the second internal drive to do system image backups and the second
    internal hard drive in the Windows 10 PC as a File History drive.

But now, in both PC’s, the internal second drives are no longer being recognized. Both File History and System Image backup now only work when drives are connected externally.

If the second hard drives are connected internally, this error message comes up : "Operating system not found" on the Windows 8.1 PC and "no usable hard drives found" for File History on the Windows 10 PC.

Surely that should not be the case? What could be the cause?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

graham2014, Feb 10, 2021
  4. WIN 10 recovery drive cannot find system image on second internal PC SSD

Failed System Image Recovery Windows 10 SSD

Hi,

It seems that the system image back is not created properly or might be the system hard drive is corrupted.

As an initial steps, I suggest you to disconnect all the external device expect mouse and key board and then try performing system back and check if it helps.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to run check disk on the hard drive to see if there are any corruptions.
    Follow the below steps:

1.Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).

2.Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

For more information, refer to the below link:

Recovery options in Windows 10

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Feb 10, 2021
Thema:

WIN 10 recovery drive cannot find system image on second internal PC SSD

1. WIN 10 recovery drive cannot find system image on second internal PC SSD - Similar Threads - recovery drive cannot

2. Windows cannot find my system image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows cannot find my system image: Hello,I have a Surface Laptop 3 which is about 3-4 years old. It has recently refused to move beyond the black and white windows logo screen on switching on.I fouond a set of instructions which required my Serial No - typed this in and got a set of instructions for creating a...
  3. Win 10 Installation fails to find HDD. Cannot perform a system recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Installation fails to find HDD. Cannot perform a system recovery: I recently bought a new laptop and decided to upgrade my older laptop Win7 to Win10. I have the complete Win10 USB as I had installed it on the Win7 machine several years ago, but went back to Win 7. Now I decided to re-upgrade the Win7 Pavilion to Win 10. During the install...
  4. Cannot backup system image to internal HD

Cannot backup system image to internal HD: Hi, I am trying to save a "system image" to my "E" drive but Windows does not detect it in the process. Can someone help me? You will find below screenshots that be may help diagnose the problem. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Thanks in advance,...
  5. "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer"

"Windows cannot find a system image on this computer": [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]how to fix my laptop anybody help me please * Original title: How can i fix it help me [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-cannot-find-a-system-image-on-this/81ee505c-99c8-419f-bddc-22db92167dd5
  6. Windows cannot find a system image on this computer

in Windows 10 News
    Windows cannot find a system image on this computer: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you are using a System Image that has been created by Windows Backup and Restore Tool, and using it restore your computer and you receive an error message – Windows cannot find a system image on this computer, then [...] This post Windows cannot find a...
  7. Can't find system image on recovery drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can't find system image on recovery drive: One of the 1st things I do with a new PC is create & test a recovery drive. This is the 3rd Windows 10 PC I've worked on-all Toshiba Satellites by coincidence. This one seems to have a problem, possibly creating the recovery drive and if not that then certainly using it. Or...
  8. System image or recovery flash drive?

System image or recovery flash drive?: Of the above which is the better solution to backup or do I need both? Also, I have a desktop and a laptop both running Windows 10 fall creator version. I have created a recovery flash drive with system files included for the desktop. Will that one also work for the laptop?...
  9. System cannot find hard drive to put system image on

System cannot find hard drive to put system image on: Greetings, I have a new rig. I want to make a backup system image to another drive (3Gb SATA). It works well (gaming drive). And is "seen" by Win 10 in File Explorer and otherwise works. But the system backup windows cannot find it. I hit the refresh option and it does...
  10. Cannot Backup or system image, Win 10

Cannot Backup or system image, Win 10: I've recently upgraded 8.1 to 10. Things seemed somewhat okay but before I try to do anything with programs, etc., I want to back up and also make a system image to an external drive. This will not happen, I get error codes, 0x807800c5 and 0x80780081. I do not want to resort...