Windows 10: Win 10 recovery drive from laptop upgraded from Win 8.1

Discus and support Win 10 recovery drive from laptop upgraded from Win 8.1 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I did a free upgrade of my laptop to Win 10 Home from Win 8.1 3 years ago and would like to replace its HDD with a SSD. To do this, I used the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Chun P Yu, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Chun P Yu Win User

Win 10 recovery drive from laptop upgraded from Win 8.1

Hi,

I did a free upgrade of my laptop to Win 10 Home from Win 8.1 3 years ago and would like to replace its HDD with a SSD. To do this, I used the laptop to create a Recovery Drive on a USB stick so I can install Win 10 Home from the stick after installing the SSD.

However, the Recovery Drive USB that was created installed Win 8.1 instead of Win 10 Home on the SSD. How can I create a Recovery Drive USB that installs Win 10 Home?

Or are there other options to do a fresh install of Win 10 Home on the SSD that don't involve buying a new license of Win 10 Home?

Thanks.

:)

Chun P Yu, Jan 7, 2019
  2. Keith_O Win User

Upgrading from WIN 8 to Win 10

hello,

I have a desktop running Win 8

Can anyone provide a step by step upgrade path/instructions to delete Win 8 and load/run Win 10..

thanks

Keith_O, Jan 7, 2019
  3. mpelosi3 Win User
    BSOD: Which recovery drive to use for laptop upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10

My wife's ASUS laptop died yesterday as follows: unending message to the effect "repairing disk, please wait, etc" followed by BSOD with the "wait circle" icon on repeated startup attempts. The laptop was purchased with Win 8.1 and upgraded to Win 10 a month
    ago and worked perfectly until the end. She has no recovery drive.

My daughter has an identical laptop running Win 8.1, and I have a newer Dell laptop running running Win 10.

My question: will I be able to create a recovery drive from either of these 2 laptops to rescue the dead one? If so, which one should I use?

mpelosi3, Jan 7, 2019
  4. Mossey49 Win User

Win 8 to Win 10 on Toshiba Laptop

My Laptop came with pre installed win 8. My second laptop was running with a purchased licence for Win 8.1 WMC that second laptop crashed. So installed the 8.1 on the laptop that was running Win 8. I do not want to lose the option of switching the Win 8
    laptop back to it original licenced OEM licenced version and get the windows 10 upgrade but how is this possible. I have a NAS running Ubunto that I would like to switch to windows and could use the win 8.1 licence for that hardware and upgrade it to Win 10.

Mossey49, Jan 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Win 10 recovery drive from laptop upgraded from Win 8.1 - Similar Threads - recovery drive laptop

2. upgrade from win 8 to win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade from win 8 to win 10: hi can I upgrade my win 8 on a tablet samsung Ativ tab3 to win 10 thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-win-8-to-win-10/61700be7-585e-4c5c-8493-1a14befff78e
  3. Activating Windows 10 upgraded from Win 8 on a new laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Windows 10 upgraded from Win 8 on a new laptop: Hi, I can't activate a retail copy of Win 10 Home Single Language on a new laptop. My old device's CMD lists the Win 10 copy as 'Retail channel', bought in a reputable store where I purchased my old laptop, and it was upgraded from Win 8 for free in 2016. I have...
  4. Upgrading laptop from win 8 to 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading laptop from win 8 to 10: I did a clean reinstall for win 8 on my laptop, i want to upgrade it to win 10 , will i have to reinstall the drivers as well? Also, is the upgrade still free? submitted by /u/WifeStealer99 [link] [comments]...
  5. cant upgrade from win 8 to win 10

cant upgrade from win 8 to win 10: 1. I have bought a genuine key of wins 10 pro 2. I had downloaded windows upgrade assistant and it started its work and after downlaoding 100% it says windows needs your attention on this ……. the following app is not compatible with windows uninstall it manually but...
  6. Transfer Win 10 (free upgrade from win 8) to a new hard drive

Transfer Win 10 (free upgrade from win 8) to a new hard drive: I'm upgrading my brothers PC from a decently bad OEM computer, but as recompense, I'm taking his 1 tb drive, and I want to transfer everything to a 320gb drive. However, the windows 10 on his computer is from the free upgrade promotion a while back, the computer originally...
  7. Windows 10 upgrade from win 8 Stuck

Windows 10 upgrade from win 8 Stuck: You won't find this laptop in either of my specs and falls in the "sure I'll take a look at it" family category. My Nephew's Gateway NE56R48u was being upgraded to 10 when the upgrade hung in one of those moments that the machine needed to restart itself. The screen stayed...
  8. Can't Connect from Win 8 Laptop to Win 10 PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Connect from Win 8 Laptop to Win 10 PC: Hi . I have to devices at home - a laptop running Win 8 and a PC (with a local printer) that used to run Win 7 but which I recently upgraded to Win 10. I used to be able to connect my laptop to the PC to access the shared printer and files in a shared directory. Since I...
  9. Win 10 a "refresh" or an "upgrade" from Win 7 and Win 8?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 a "refresh" or an "upgrade" from Win 7 and Win 8?: I have been under the impression that Win 10 may be like an upgrade so you don't have to re-install all your desktop programs. If it is a "refresh" what a pain *Sad If it is an upgrade will it kill Windows Media Center or might it actually survive to run in Win 10? 5917
  10. Re-install Win 8 from Recovery MicroSD

Re-install Win 8 from Recovery MicroSD: Hi Everyone! I really tried to like Win 10, but the mail not syncing, the virtual keyboard resetting all the time, not having Cortana or offline map in my region, oh and of course all the various BSODs made me give up after a month. It has promise, it may become a great...