Windows 10: Win 10 refuses to see XP machine

Discus and support Win 10 refuses to see XP machine in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just hooked up a new windows 10 computer. I have a bunch of stuff stored on my XP computer that also shares the parallel printer with a Windows 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SlickRCBD, Oct 15, 2018.

1. SlickRCBD Win User

Win 10 refuses to see XP machine

I just hooked up a new windows 10 computer.

I have a bunch of stuff stored on my XP computer that also shares the parallel printer with a Windows 7 computer and I planned to share it with the Windows 10 computer.

The XP computer is called slickswintel and has a static IP of 192.168.1.98 (easy to remember since it is a Windows 98SE/XP dual boot computer and I assigned it that when it was just a Windows 98SE computer).

There is a Windows 7 computer called slicksgateway on the network. It has a static IP of 192.168.1.09 and I can access it just fine by typing in \\slicksgateway into the run box or search box.

However, when I enter \\slickswintel, I get the following dialog box:

"Windows Cannot access \\slickswintel

Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose."

I've tried searching, and tried enabling NetBIOS over TCP on the wired Ethernet. I've tried enabling SMB1.0 in the optional features. Neither worked.

I can ping 192.168.1.98, and it even showed some of the shares accessed that way, but failed to show the printer.

Windows 7 has no issues, and two old XP laptops people have donated to me have had no issues if I plug them into the Ethernet network with an extra cable.

What else can I try besides the SMB and NetBIOS? I'd like to be able to print from my Windows 10 computer, but that isn't possible if I can't get at my file/print server (a Windows XP computer sharing a printer and a file share since some idiots will think I'm running Windows Server based on past experience here if I don't spell it out.)

:)

SlickRCBD, Oct 15, 2018
  2. Seafrog Win User

Workgroup Windows 10 and XP machines no longer see each other

My 4 machine workgroup network, 2 XP and 2 Win 10 machines, was functioning fairly well until the recent "Creator" upgrade. Now the XP machines can no longer see the 10 machines and the 10 machines can't see the XP machines. The machines of the other OS are not listed. Would like to get the workgroup functional again. Have done multiple reboots and have run the suggested troubleshooters with no results. Have any ideas?

Seafrog, Oct 15, 2018
  3. Mounting Windows 10 machine's disk on an XP machine via network share

So it's still not working: I still can't access my laptop (Win 10) drive from my desktop machine (Win XP). But I can access the my desktop (Win XP) machine's drive from my Win 10 Laptop. It used to work both ways before I "upgraded" the laptop to Win 10.

Here is what I have tried since then.

(1) Made sure that the sharing permissions on my laptop give "full control" to members of group Administrators.

(2) My account on both machines is a member of group Administrators with the same username and password.

(3) Followed Arun B J.'s steps (above) to activate the Administrator account.

Please note that my desktop can mount the laptop's drive (i.e. assign it a drive letter), I just get an "Access Denied" error message when I try to list or access its files.

UPDATE: Referring to step (1) above: If I change the permissions to give "full control" to Everyone, then my desktop can access it OK. It is only when I restrict access to group Administrators that I get "Access Denied." My username and
    password are the same on both machines, and my account on both has Administrator privileges; why doesn't Windows 10 acknowledge that I am, in fact, an Administrator?

Rich Pasco, Oct 15, 2018
  4. Win 10 refuses to see XP machine

XP machines and Win 10 machines in a workgroup can no longer see each other

Until the last "Creator" update I had a Windows Workgroup which was quite functional involving both Windows 10 and XP machines. Since that update the Win 10 machines can see each other but not the XP machines. The XP machines can see each other but no
    the Win 10 machines. Everybody can see the network printers and the internet. How do I get the Workgroup functional again? I've tried the troubleshooters and multiple reboots with no results.

Bernard Corrigan, Oct 15, 2018
Thema:

Win 10 refuses to see XP machine

1. Win 10 refuses to see XP machine - Similar Threads - refuses machine

2. OneDrive refuses to sync and save properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive refuses to sync and save properly: A couple of weeks ago, OneDrive worked fine for me. Auto-save worked great for all new files, and the subfolders I had set up didnt' seem to confuse the software. Now, suddenly, it's a complete mess. I save PPT and Word docs into folders on OneDrive and Autosave isn't enabled...
  3. OneDrive refuses to sync and save properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive refuses to sync and save properly: A couple of weeks ago, OneDrive worked fine for me. Auto-save worked great for all new files, and the subfolders I had set up didnt' seem to confuse the software. Now, suddenly, it's a complete mess. I save PPT and Word docs into folders on OneDrive and Autosave isn't enabled...
  4. No connection could be made because the Target Machine actively refused it

in Windows 10 News
    No connection could be made because the Target Machine actively refused it: [IMG]When a computer or network device attempts to connect with another device, but the target device refuses the connection, users get No connection could be made because the Target Machine actively refused it. In this article, we will learn how to resolve this issue with...
  5. No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.: dial tcp [::1]:5000: connectex: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.I've tried troubleshotting. Disabling firewall etc - no joy. The following article sugggest it's an SQL error with the followonh HOT FIX code - KB2482977 - FIX: 10061...
  6. No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.: dial tcp [::1]:5000: connectex: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.I've tried troubleshotting. Disabling firewall etc - no joy. The following article sugggest it's an SQL error with the followonh HOT FIX code - KB2482977 - FIX: 10061...
  7. File Manager straight up refuses to work. Fixed ONLY if the machine is rebooted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Manager straight up refuses to work. Fixed ONLY if the machine is rebooted: File Manager currently looks like this. When opening any directories, the loading bar keeps going as long as the machine likes to.Restarting File Manager allows me to access files, but the problem still remains.I assume it's OneDrive or my External SD Card doing this work,...
  8. File Manager straight up refuses to work. Fixed ONLY if the machine is rebooted

File Manager straight up refuses to work. Fixed ONLY if the machine is rebooted: File Manager currently looks like this. When opening any directories, the loading bar keeps going as long as the machine likes to.Restarting File Manager allows me to access files, but the problem still remains.I assume it's OneDrive or my External SD Card doing this work,...
  9. machine keeps refusing to open pdf files

in Windows 10 Support
    machine keeps refusing to open pdf files: Thsi has nit been happening for a few weeks. PDF files opening nornally from Outlook and Explorer. The this stops and nothing happens until I restart the machien which usually resolves the issue. I ahev been unable to find any information about this. Does anyone have any...
  10. Bitlocker Looping with Kmode Exception Not Handled error: Machine refuses to start in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker Looping with Kmode Exception Not Handled error: Machine refuses to start in Safe Mode: The following is a sequence of events that I have run through many times in the past 24 hours I switch on, I input my Bitlocker password Machine detects there is a problem and "Prepare to Auto Repair" itself and presumably tries to do a repair BSOD : Your PC Ran Into A...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Win 10 refuses to see XP machine microsoft