Windows 10: Win 10 registering mouse clicks on its own

Discus and support Win 10 registering mouse clicks on its own in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently downloaded update 1909 on my Asus laptop and began noticing issues with the mouse afterwards both the touchpad and a USB mouse. The issues... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Orontech, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Orontech Win User

Win 10 registering mouse clicks on its own

I recently downloaded update 1909 on my Asus laptop and began noticing issues with the mouse afterwards both the touchpad and a USB mouse. The issues have gotten progressively worse over time.

1. First noticeable issue was when I was browsing webpages I noticed that occasionally it would act as though I had clicked the mouse wheel on my USB mouse causing the pages to scroll horizontally or vertically with mouse movement.
    2. Second noticeable issue was left clicking to select a different browser tab edge, firefox, and chrome would close the tab similar to a mouse wheel click.
    3. Third noticeable issue spread beyond browsers into regular navigation of the OS. Mouse clicks would be recognized on the desktop but not work on any windows or the taskbar. I could move the cursor around on a window and where the cursor was would highlight, indicating that the location was being registered, but when clicking nothing would happen.
    4. Finally the OS has started registering clicks that are not occurring where ever the cursor is pointing.

Troubleshooting that I have already attempted based upon searches online:

• Tested multiple browsers issues 1 and 2, including edge, firefox, and chrome.
    • Uninstalled, reinstalled, and updated the mouse and touchpad drivers
    • Disabled the touchpad with the manufacturer's keyboard function
    • Disabled the touchpad with device manager
    • Disabled the USB mouse with device manager
    • Disabled both the touchpad and the USB mouse with device manager note: this seems to resolve issues, but obviously limits me to navigation by keyboard only
    • Disconnected the USB mouse note: this resolves if the touchpad is disabled in device manager as well, but again limits navigation to keyboard only
    • Gone back to the previous version
    • Clean boot
    • Safe boot
    • Disabled all non-Microsoft services and startup apps in msconfig and task manager
    • Disabled all Microsoft services and startup apps in msconfig and task manager
    • Attempted to reset both with and without keeping personal files in recovery options both fail instantly, leading me to believe that the restore points are now corrupted as well
    • Verified click lock is not enabled in settings
    • Created a new administrator user account note: somehow the new account has even worse issues and is unable to access the start menu at all
    • Disconnected from the internet and verified remote desktop is disabled

My household has 2 of the exact same laptops Asus FX-53VD and the 2nd one has also started the progression of issues after installing the update currently at issue 1.

I'm open to any suggestions or other troubleshooting tips. Thanks in advance.

:)

Orontech, Apr 6, 2020

2. Mouse not registering all clicks and sensitivity dropping

Hi,

This issue likely occurs if the driver needs to be updated. Since you recently purchased and installed a new mouse, it's possible that the necessary driver for it is not yet installed, or the driver might be incompatible or corrupted. We'd like to know the
    following so we can better assist you.

• What's the make and model of your mouse?
    • Is the issue the same with a different mouse?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue when connecting the mouse on a different device?

Meanwhile, to troubleshoot your mouse issue, we suggest running the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter. It will try to identify and resolve the issue automatically. To do so, please refer to these steps:

• From the Start menu, type troubleshooting and press
      Enter.
    • Under Hardware and Sound, click Configure a device and then click
      Next. Wait for the scan to be completed.

Afterwards, if the issue persists, we recommend updating the mouse driver.
    If Windows doesn't find a new driver, you can try checking for one on your device manufacturer's website.

Get back to us with the result.

Lov Dollente, Apr 6, 2020
  3. Mouse click

Hi,

I suggest you try below method and check if it helps.

Hardware and devices troubleshooter

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your mouse.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Divya Murugan, Apr 6, 2020
  4. Win 10 registering mouse clicks on its own

Left click not registering

I suggest you start the trouble-shooting effort with simple left-click actions, e.g. like so:

• Single click any desktop item. This should highlight the item.
    • Double-click any desktop item. This should open it.
    • Drag any desktop item do a different place, using your mouse. Can you move it?
    Could it be that your mouse buttons are reversed?

Frederik Long, Apr 6, 2020
Thema:

Win 10 registering mouse clicks on its own

1. Win 10 registering mouse clicks on its own - Similar Threads - registering mouse clicks

2. Mouse moving on its own

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse moving on its own: Hello everyone. So my mouse is moving on its own and at first i thought it was the mouse itself or my mousepad but have concluded that they aren't the problem because normally when i turn on my pc it'll be fine and the mouse works like normal but sometimes out of nowhere it...
  3. Mouse moving on its own

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse moving on its own: Hello everyone. So my mouse is moving on its own and at first i thought it was the mouse itself or my mousepad but have concluded that they aren't the problem because normally when i turn on my pc it'll be fine and the mouse works like normal but sometimes out of nowhere it...
  4. Windows 10 - Mouse clicks not registering

Windows 10 - Mouse clicks not registering: Hello Microsoft Support Team,I want to report an issue that has been reported many times in the past but has never been solved.The issue is that Windows 10 will, under unknown circumstances or causes, stop detecting mouse clicks left-click or right-click.I have validated that...
  5. mouse clicks right on its own sometimes

mouse clicks right on its own sometimes: The mouse clicks on right by itself sometimes ------- need a fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-clicks-right-on-its-own-sometimes/547e9f30-b865-447e-80ab-0c42e5b8ae29
  6. Mouse click registering issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse click registering issues: So I woke up today and went to use my asus windows 10 pc but noticed my mouse clicks are not registering half the time neither are they maintaining (if i hold click, half the time it counts as just a click). I tried resetting it and using it in different ports: nothing...
  7. Left mouse clicks not registering

Left mouse clicks not registering: Hi I have been having the issue where my mouse clicks on windows 10 specifically left click will not register and it seems to be getting worse, beforehand every 1 in 4 clicks didn't register, now it seems to be more like every 3 in 4 clicks. I changed my mouse and which...
  8. Mouse Clicks and Hovering not registering.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse Clicks and Hovering not registering.: Don't really know how else to describe it, but ever since I played the Master Chief Collection on steam about an hour ago, my mouse has been basically nonfunctional. It would work on some windows, but almost all windows processes, including the Taskbar and desktop, nothing...
  9. Windows 10 - Mouse clicking and opening applications in the taskbar on its own

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 - Mouse clicking and opening applications in the taskbar on its own: My mouse clicks down on applications pinned in the taskbar or either that are there because the application is open. Before I know it, it has taken over my computer and opened several windows. I can only stop it by trying to quickly close everything, which is difficult, or...
  10. Mouse moving on its own

Mouse moving on its own: I was looking on chrome for Minecraft skins and then out of no where my mouse stopped working properly, This started after an update icon appeared on my tray at the bottom right corner, It does not move when I lock the touch pad, It may be my computer but I have done nothing...