Windows 10: Win 10 Registry setting to change/swap F keys function to standard F key behavior & not...

Discus and support Win 10 Registry setting to change/swap F keys function to standard F key behavior & not... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi all I have a brand new Acer Aspire one running Windows 10 Home V1909 which I know is a legacy machine now but it is for my children do use for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Event2020, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Event2020 Win User

Win 10 Registry setting to change/swap F keys function to standard F key behavior & not...

Hi all

I have a brand new Acer Aspire one running Windows 10 Home V1909 which I know is a legacy machine now but it is for my children do use for School Work during the Covid lockdown.

I have searched this forum, and else where google and I have thus far been unable to find anything that is helpful.

I have posted in Acers own forum link below and it seems they can not help me.

I wonder if there is a Registry edit or setting that can help me I am comfortable in editing the registry.

My post in Acer's forum

The issue is the function buttons which which Acer has set to default to Acers utilitys like screen brightness, sound volume and, the real issue, flight mode. If you want to use the Function buttons F1 - F12 you have to hold down the Fn key.

My children are 8 & 10 and explaining to them that they have to hold down the Fn key each time they need to use a function key every time is impossible.

On all of my other machines, my work laptop and my home PC you have to hold down the Fn button to access the extra features like this and without the Fn button being held down the F1 - F12 buttons act normally.

My children are finding that they are constantly using F2 to access features within the programs they use for school work but as they are not used to having to remember to hold down the Fn button they are turning off the laptops internet connection which is causing BIG issues and some arguments.

I have done it myself and it is beyond annoying.

I do not understand why Acer have done things this way around but is there a registry setting that can swap the F keys back to normal?

I have tried checking the BIOS V1.21 and nothing there suggests it can be done so I wonder if it would perhaps be a registry setting. I have been told in the Acer forum that my BIOS is unable to change these settings.

For the sake of my sanity and family harmony any suggests would be gratefully received.

:)

Event2020, Jul 14, 2020
  2. mypigjava Win User

f function keys

My f keys are also the volume and playback keys. It used to be that I could just hit the volume key to change volume, but now I have to hold the fn key to do so. Not a huge deal, just an inconvenience and I want it back to the way it was. I have tried getting
    to the startup menu by pressing I think F10 when I turn my computer on and I changed the F key function in there but it didn't change it at all. Tried googling it and asking someone I know who works with technology for a living, but with no fix.

I have a Toshiba L875 with windows 10 64-bit

mypigjava, Jul 14, 2020
  3. F function Keys

I upgraded my computer to windows 10 and on my surface and now my F (function) keys only brings up

SuzannaBriggs, Jul 14, 2020
  4. Ajaaw Win User

Win 10 Registry setting to change/swap F keys function to standard F key behavior & not...

"F" Keys

My keyboard doesn't have an "F-Lock" key, and whenever I press one of the F keys it always does the other function, example the volume up, down, and mute buttons are F1, F2, and F3, so I have to hold down the FN key to activate the F Keys. I want to know
    if there's a toggle for it in settings, or a keyboard shortcut to disable the other functions like volume and screen brightness.

Info

OS Build: 16299.726

HP Pavilion 590-p0050 Desktop Computer

Running Windows 10, 64bit

Ajaaw, Jul 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Win 10 Registry setting to change/swap F keys function to standard F key behavior & not... - Similar Threads - Registry setting change

2. the F keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the F keys: I have a hp windows 11 laptop i play minecraft but the F keys don't work in the game and they work on the laptop itself this is an annoying problem please can someone tell me how to fix this problem...
  3. the F keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the F keys: I have a hp windows 11 laptop i play minecraft but the F keys don't work in the game and they work on the laptop itself this is an annoying problem please can someone tell me how to fix this problem...
  4. THE F KEYS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    THE F KEYS: whenever I try to use F2,F3,F7 and F8 keys to increase or decrease the brightness and sounds, my laptop lags but when I try use the taskbar to increase the sound and brightness it doesn't happens. So, I think the four keys are having problem and it's very difficult for me...
  5. THE F KEYS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    THE F KEYS: whenever I try to use F2,F3,F7 and F8 keys to increase or decrease the brightness and sounds, my laptop lags but when I try use the taskbar to increase the sound and brightness it doesn't happens. So, I think the four keys are having problem and it's very difficult for me...
  6. F key functions

in Windows 10 Customization
    F key functions: I've been using COREL DRAW from the first addition. "ZOOM" in and out functions were controlled by using the F2, F3 & F4 buttons while in the program. Lightening destroyed my old Windows 7 and 10 computers. The new ones.... F keys open internet or advertising or puts the...
  7. Aspire One - Registry setting to change/swap F keys function to standard F key behavior &...

Aspire One - Registry setting to change/swap F keys function to standard F key behavior &...: Hi all I have a brand new Acer Aspire one running Windows 10 Home V1909 which I know is a legacy machine now but it is for my children do use for School Work during the Covid lockdown. I have searched this forum, and else where google and I have thus far been unable to...
  8. F Keys

F Keys: Hello, I have had this laptop for a few weeks now and no problems have occured. However, after I played a game Subnaudica on Steam, I discovered that all my F keys had been flipped. Before, I just pushed F1-F3 to change volume. Now, I have to hold the fn key. What did I do...
  9. F keys

F keys: My function keays double as volume changing keys and brightness keys etc. how can I lock the function use setting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/f-keys/9be42aae-3b06-46b4-acf2-035b821280c8
  10. switching f# keys function

switching f# keys function: so I'm using a Microsoft surface 3 and i need to switch the functions of the f1, f2, f3, etc. buttons and I've tried BIOS, the mobility center and the keyboard control panel, to no avail. any suggestions? i never use these keys except in cases of gaming, and i cant because...