Windows 10: Win 10 Restore Points keep fluctuating

Discus and support Win 10 Restore Points keep fluctuating in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; hi guys, I noticed that my restore points keep fluctuating, for example i set max size to 2GB, and at any given point in time i check them, they will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by gabgab, Mar 4, 2021.

1. gabgab Win User

Win 10 Restore Points keep fluctuating

hi guys,

I noticed that my restore points keep fluctuating, for example i set max size to 2GB, and at any given point in time i check them, they will range from 20mb up to the max range, which could be OK.

But without installing many things, i understand when you do a major Win10 upgrade for which it will wipe out "old" files, etc, but in a normal day situation, why do they keep fluctuating so much?

Again, without installing or uninstalling much?

Also, i would create a restore point when say my system is "stable" and then that will be wiped out too at some point. It's not daily, sometimes bi-daily sometimes 3 days etc

Someone pointed out that it's not a good way to do a backup, but still shouldn't be a good way to have an emergency point to go back to in time, should you need to? so why do manual restore points keep being deleted?

It could be that i didn't notice and this happened when i put a major win10 update but for the sake of argument if someone can explain in a few words, that would be great.

so in summary

1. why do manual restore point get deleted
    2. why size of restore points fluctuates so much without major installs?

many thanks,
    Gabrio

:)

gabgab, Mar 4, 2021
  2. jellyroll Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CWin 10 Restore Points keep fluctuating :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CWin 10 Restore Points keep fluctuating :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, Mar 4, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Automatically Create System Restore Point at Startup in Windows 10  

Hello ma3ino, Win 10 Restore Points keep fluctuating :)

Please double check using the screenshots under step 11 to verify if the restore point is listed there.

Brink, Mar 4, 2021
  4. R.Zim Win User

Windows 10 - Restore Points are being deleted

Win 10 restore points are vanishing from my PC, too.

On 04/01/17 after tweaking file backup schedules, I checked Win 10 System Restore for the first time since upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 in 2016.
    Discovered no restore points at all, even though system protection for C: was configured “on.”
    I changed the max usage slider from lowest setting (~1%, 10.0 GB) to 10% (68.83 GB) to ensure plenty of space.
    Then I created a restore point manually & verified it appeared (by itself) in the restore point list, with proper date/time, my description & type = manual.

On 04/02/17 in AM I opened Task Scheduler & found no triggers for task SR, even though the last run time was listed as 03/31/17.
    I created a trigger for SR execution daily at 1:00 AM.
    Then I opened System Restore & found no restore points!
    The point I created manually on 04/01 had vanished.
    Later on 04/02 I opened System Restore again & it showed 1 restore point created on 04/02 06:57:30 PM with description & type = Windows Update.

On 04/03/17 in AM I opened System Restore & the Win Update point dated 04/02 was still listed.
    However, there was no point corresponding to task SR, even though Task Scheduler reported that SR had “completed successfully” earlier on 04/03.

On 04/04/17 in AM I opened System Restore & found no restore points!
    Like my manual point on 04/01, the Win Update point on 04/02 had vanished, and still no point was listed for task SR, even though Task Scheduler reported that SR had “completed successfully” on 04/03 & on 4/04.
    I created another manual restore point & verified that it appeared by itself in the list.
    Later on 04/04 I looked again. My latest manual point had vanished, but a Win Update restore point created in PM on 04/04 was listed.
    As of 04/04/17 09:48PM, it’s still there, but I expect it to vanish by 04/05.

I have read all the posts on “Windows 10 – Restore Points are being deleted” ranging from 11/16/15 to 02/09/17.
    If there’s a solution for my problem, I haven’t found it yet.
    To reiterate, System Protection is configured “on” for C:, 68.83 GB of disk space is allowed, current usage (from 04/04 Win Update restore point) is only 86.17 MB, C: has 491 GB free out of 688 GB capacity.
    I can create a restore point manually, and points are being created by Win Update, but System Restore never lists more than one point, and that point vanishes by the next day, even if no additional point has yet been created.

What else can I do to keep at least one restore point available at all times?

R.Zim, Mar 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Win 10 Restore Points keep fluctuating - Similar Threads - Restore Points keep

2. System Restore Point Keeps Growing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore Point Keeps Growing: Hi to all. I posted this question quite a while back and never really got a clear answer as I recall. My SSD is 256GB. It contains the operating system and all of my files. Not even half of the drive is being used. My question is more of interest rather than causing a...
  3. Where are restore points saved - Win 10 Pro ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Where are restore points saved - Win 10 Pro ?: When creating restore points where are they located on the dik? Can I back them up to a removable drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-are-restore-points-saved-win-10-pro/a4a727bf-abd9-4491-82c8-8e755bad4ae7
  4. Win 10 Restore Points keep fluctuating

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 Restore Points keep fluctuating: hi guys, I noticed that my restore points keep fluctuating, for example i set max size to 2GB, and at any given point in time i check them, they will range from 20mb up to the max range, which could be OK. But without installing many things, i understand when you do a major...
  5. Restore Points Win 10 Pro.

Restore Points Win 10 Pro.: My fairly high spec PC was updated to Win 10 Pro last Fe and has performed really well. However a few days ago it started running slowly and lagging/freezing quite badly. It seemed to follow a Windows 10 update so I rolled back to the middle of Dec around about 20th which...
  6. Windows 10 keeps deleting all restore points

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 keeps deleting all restore points: I noticed it when my laptop failed to start windows so I tried to restore it to an earlier point but to my surprise there was none even tho I created it manual and there were automatic restore points because system protection is turned on. So i was forced to do a clean...
  7. How to Keep or Save a Restore Point in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Keep or Save a Restore Point in Windows 10: Hello there, Restore Points in Windows 10: There is an automatic restore point in system restore. Those restore points are deleted automatically, and new ones are created. How can I keep one of those points before it is deleted? Is there a way to save the restore point?...
  8. Restore Points keep disappearing

Restore Points keep disappearing: Hello Everyone, I've read some other threads here about system restore points missing or being deleted - but I haven't noticed an accepted solution or possible troubleshooting tips that have helped. I have a new Dell Inspiron (see specs under avatar) that I purchased 3...
  9. Win 10: Can't create system restore point.

Win 10: Can't create system restore point.: I ran into this problem sometime back. I eventually had to re-set win 10. Finally got it the way I wanted it. This time I think the error report might be a different number. Same problem. Please try to run system restore again (0x81000203)-please close property page. I ran...
  10. Be careful about Win 10 Restore Point.

Be careful about Win 10 Restore Point.: After I clean installed Win 10, and then installed many programs that I normally use. And when the computer worked just the way I wanted - I decided to set the Restore Point right then. ---------------------- Then I started (doing foolish things) fixing problems trying to...