Windows 10: Win 10 S Mode Questions

Discus and support Win 10 S Mode Questions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all and if you observe, happy Easter or Passover. Next week, a friend is getting an HP laptop that'll be using Windows 10 in S Mode. I'm somewhat... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Crizal, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Crizal Win User

Win 10 S Mode Questions

Hello all and if you observe, happy Easter or Passover. Next week, a friend is getting an HP laptop that'll be using Windows 10 in S Mode. I'm somewhat familiar with what can and cannot be done but there are a few questions.

As there are restrictions in what can be downloaded and installed in S Mode, does anyone know if tools like Geek Uninstaller portable and CCleaner portable (on USB sticks) would work or will she be limited to the built-in Windows tools?

She's using an HP LaserJet Pro M15W printer on her network and to add that to the new laptop, drivers cannot be downloaded from the HP website. It was suggested we go to the Microsoft Store and get the HP Smart app and try using that to get the printer on the new machine. If that doesn't work, we can easily uninstall the app. HP's listing for S Mode compatible printers is grossly outdated and doesn't mention the printer (which is a reasonably new model) one way or the other.

The goal is to keep the laptop as clean as possible so any insight would be appreciated.

:)

Crizal, Apr 19, 2019

2. Screen flickering in Windows 10 safe mode

I haven't made any changes on my device. This screen flickering is only happening in Safe Mode.

AdhipBanerjee, Apr 19, 2019
  3. New FF - passwords

Hi:

If that setting is already enabled, then I suggest as the next troubleshooting step might be Mozilla Safe Mode (not to be confused with Windows Safe Mode)):

Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode | Firefox Help

• Please report back and let us know the outcome, as it will dictate the next steps.
    • Also: please tell us what AV/AM/firewall programs are you running on this system?

Thanks,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Apr 19, 2019
  4. AeroGEL Win User

Win 10 S Mode Questions

Win 10 Backups & Sleep Mode

Hi Ruth,

I should clarify the reason the backup was cancelled.

The actual message was... "Backup was cancelled by User", and I am quite sure that it was because the PC entered Sleep Mode.

The Win 10 backup is being stored on an external 2Tb USB drive.

So to put my questions again...

• If I schedule a weekly backup, and the PC is in Sleep mode at the appointed time, will the PC wake up to allow the backup to run?
    • Can Sleep Mode be prevented whilst a Backup is running?
    TIA

AeroGEL, Apr 19, 2019
Thema:

Win 10 S Mode Questions

1. Win 10 S Mode Questions - Similar Threads - Mode Questions

2. Where is my question regarding “S Mode?”

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where is my question regarding “S Mode?”: I took the time to write a serious question regarding why I no longer have access to my laptop or my apps and I dont even see the question. I guess questions are censored. Wanted to know how in one day after update I can't use my laptop? Any help on this? Truly disappointing!...
  3. Where is my question regarding “S Mode?”

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where is my question regarding “S Mode?”: I took the time to write a serious question regarding why I no longer have access to my laptop or my apps and I dont even see the question. I guess questions are censored. Wanted to know how in one day after update I can't use my laptop? Any help on this? Truly disappointing!...
  4. Where is my question regarding “S Mode?”

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Where is my question regarding “S Mode?”: I took the time to write a serious question regarding why I no longer have access to my computer or my apps and I dont even see the question. I guess questions are censored. Wanted to know how in one day after update I can't use my laptop? Any help on this? Truly...
  5. Question about Microsoft Family Mode

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Question about Microsoft Family Mode: I have a question about Microsoft Family mode. If the child is using a website, will the parent be able to see what they’re doing on the website or just the website itself? Ex:if a child is using discord, will the parents be able to see the servers they are on?...
  6. Sorry, I have a quick question, I hope you can help me here. My laptop was in sleep mode in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sorry, I have a quick question, I hope you can help me here. My laptop was in sleep mode in...: Sorry, I have a quick question, I hope you can help me here. My laptop was in sleep mode in my bag for 4 hours and I didn't notice if it would damage it...
  7. Sorry, I have a quick question, I hope you can help me here. My laptop was in sleep mode in...

Sorry, I have a quick question, I hope you can help me here. My laptop was in sleep mode in...: Sorry, I have a quick question, I hope you can help me here. My laptop was in sleep mode in my bag for 4 hours and I didn't notice if it would damage it...
  8. Windows 11 S mode - antivirus question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 11 S mode - antivirus question: Just got a PC with Windows 11 S mode. I understand its running security in the background. However, I have a hard drive to plug in and I want to scan it. Any way to do a quick scan or doesn't it work like that? Just want to make sure the hard drive is virus free....
  9. Questions on S Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Questions on S Mode: Hi all,I have one of my devices running on S Mode, my question is does this protect your device like the active/real-time protection you receive from a non-Microsoft antivirus program? Also, if I wanted to run a scan manually will I be able to do this, I could not find any...
  10. Questions on S Mode

Questions on S Mode: Hi all,I have one of my devices running on S Mode, my question is does this protect your device like the active/real-time protection you receive from a non-Microsoft antivirus program? Also, if I wanted to run a scan manually will I be able to do this, I could not find any...