Windows 10: Win 10: Services stuck on starting/stopping, programs not starting

Discus and support Win 10: Services stuck on starting/stopping, programs not starting in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all! I'm facing this issue that is really annoying since I can't find out what is the cause. It started about one week ago, I notices some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by HellFire90, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Win 10: Services stuck on starting/stopping, programs not starting

Hi all! I'm facing this issue that is really annoying since I can't find out what is the cause.
    It started about one week ago, I notices some programs were not starting at windows start (ex: Coretemp, Malwarebytes).
    Moreover, the pc always got stuck on the reboot or shutdown screen, saying the system is restarting /shutting down, with the animated icon rotating but without actually rebooting or shutting down.
    Looking on the services list, I've noticed that many services are stuck on starting or terminating, without the ability to terminate or restart them.
    I then proceeded to format. Things were working good then, today, this problem emerged again. Malwarebytes anti malware service is stuck on starting, other services are stuck on terminating. I'm attaching a screen.
    (it's in Italian, "avvio in corso" means it's starting, "arresto in corso" means it is terminating).

Win 10: Services stuck on starting/stopping, programs not starting [​IMG]

After 30 minutes they're still stuck.
    Programs such as Coretemp (not service) won't even start.
    I really don't know what could be causing all this. Can you help me please?

:)

HellFire90, Feb 24, 2017

2. STUCK ON STARTING DOWNLOAD win 10

I have a question about the following statement:

"Activating after reinstalling Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10

How you activate Windows 10 after reinstalling it depends on how Windows 10 was originally installed on your device. If you activated a free upgrade to Windows 10 or bought and activated Windows 10 from the Windows Store, you have a digital entitlement for
    your device. This means you can reinstall the same edition of Windows 10 that your device has a digital entitlement for without entering a product key. During reinstallation, if you’re asked to enter a product key, select Skip. Windows 10 will automatically
    activate online after the installation is complete."

Because I am upgrading from a Windows 7 factory installation, I have no product key. I am, however (much like johnnygoodman) re-upgrading from Windows 10 because I had not uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials and Spybot Search & Destroy before
    upgrading and consequently could not turn on Windows Defender because it was in a jealous snit. Does the above statement apply to my situation?

Michael J. Wolter, Feb 24, 2017
  3. STUCK ON STARTING DOWNLOAD win 10

The troubleshooter found and fixed problems with installing recent updates and with some kind of setting; however, the problem continues. Though I appreciate the efforts of Andre
    Da Costa
    and J W Stuart to
    provide instructions, it looks like I need to take a few weeks off of work to work through and apply them. Though I would like to be the first person to mark their suggestions as helpful, I'll have to get back with you.

Michael J. Wolter, Feb 24, 2017
  4. Win 10: Services stuck on starting/stopping, programs not starting

Caledon Ken, Feb 25, 2017
  5. Hi, thanks very much for your welcome and your help. I've followed the tutorial and I've found out that the service that kept the other stuck was the Malwarebytes Anti malware one. Should I uninstall it?

HellFire90, Feb 26, 2017
  6. TairikuOkami, Feb 26, 2017
  7. Hi HellFire90

I've notice that with the new MBAM as TairikuOkami stated conflicts are indeed happening.

If @TairikuOkami solution does not work I would determine what AV you want to have and uninstall or disable rest. In one instance I disabled real time protection for MBAM as my client wanted to use McAfee. She kept MBAM as a second set of eyes when she wanted to run alternate scan. This was also a good approach as the real time protection is disable by product after 14 days so we just made it happen early. That said, McAffee was set to real time.

If MABM is to be your main AV, I would also find malwarebytes uninstall tool, from Malwarebytes, I would completely uninstall MBAM, reboot and re-install. I would do this to ensure I didn't have any remnants from an earlier version(s).

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Win 10: Services stuck on starting/stopping, programs not starting

1. Win 10: Services stuck on starting/stopping, programs not starting - Similar Threads - Services stuck starting

2. Windows Update Service stuck in starting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update Service stuck in starting: Hello,after a fresh install, completely naked via Media creation tool and an USB drive, the Windows Update Service keeps being stuck at "Starting...".This happened after every reinstallation of Windows. I tried a fresh install 4 times now - every time with windows update not...
  3. Windows Update Service stuck in starting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update Service stuck in starting: Hello,after a fresh install, completely naked via Media creation tool and an USB drive, the Windows Update Service keeps being stuck at "Starting...".This happened after every reinstallation of Windows. I tried a fresh install 4 times now - every time with windows update not...
  4. The Diagnostic Policy Service starts and then stops, cannot be started.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The Diagnostic Policy Service starts and then stops, cannot be started.: The Diagnostic Policy Service DPS is set to automatic, but it won't run. It starts and immediately stops. When I try to start the service manually, I get the message that "The Diagnostic Policy Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped. The windows network...
  5. Service starts and then stops immediately.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Service starts and then stops immediately.: Hi, I have a program that needs a service running to work. The service won't start automatically as it should and when I start it manually it starts and then stops immediately. Error message says some services stop when not being used. How do I overcome this. my program...
  6. wuauserv service stuck on starting?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    wuauserv service stuck on starting?: Trying to update the computer so I can use the Xbox pass for 1 dollar for 3 months to try out outer worlds. Using the update assistant always blue screens when it restarts with Driver PNP watchdog. Not sure what to do. Been trying a lot of stuff. Anyone had this problem?...
  7. Win 10 Update Service could not be started

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Update Service could not be started: Win 10 Update Service could not be started: System error 1114 a DLL initialization routine has failed. No malware/virus found SFC good Registry Repair run tried dozens of fixes from online sites ran MajorGeeks tweaking.com windows repair which shutdown BITS, I was able to...
  8. Win 10 Update Service could not be started

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 Update Service could not be started: Win 10 Update Service could not be started: System error 1114 a DLL initialization routine has failed. No malware/virus found SFC good Registry Repair run tried dozens of fixes from online sites ran MajorGeeks tweaking.com windows repair which shutdown BITS, I was able to...
  9. Where are Win 10 Start Menu Program Properties (like "Start in")?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where are Win 10 Start Menu Program Properties (like "Start in")?: Guys, I was just forced at work to change my beloved Win 7 box to Win 10 spyware as a service. One aspect of Win 10 that I cannot figure out is how I can access Properties for the programs that I have added to the Start Menu. In Win 7, if I left click on the Start Menu,...
  10. Start, Stop, and Disable Services in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Start, Stop, and Disable Services in Windows 10: How to: Start, Stop, and Disable Services in Windows 10 How to Start, Stop, Restart, Enable, and Disable Services in Windows 10 [img] Information A service is an application type that runs in the system background without a user interface and is similar to a UNIX...