Windows 10: Win 10, setting default software or changing default software not possible.

Discus and support Win 10, setting default software or changing default software not possible. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I try to change the default video player under the "Default apps" setting page it just stays on the Windows Media player. It's not possible to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DS_88, Oct 26, 2018.

1. DS_88 Win User

Win 10, setting default software or changing default software not possible.

When I try to change the default video player under the "Default apps" setting page it just stays on the Windows Media player. It's not possible to change this. When I try open an unknown file format I get promted to select software to use with this file format. The "Always use this app to open .xxx files" is selected, but I get this promt every time again. This file extension also doesn't show up in the Default apps by file extension setting page.

Preventing the user to automatically use the software of his choice is unaccetable. This is such a basic functionality, bugs shouldn't occur here.

So how do I fix something that shouldn't be broken in the first place?

Win 10 Pro

Version 1803

build 17134.345

:)

DS_88, Oct 26, 2018

2. Changing Default program in Win 10 home

Hi Alan,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

• As you sure that this program is successfully installed on the PC?

If the default protocol that you wish to change is not available in the Settings app, you can use Control Panel to change the default programs in Windows 10.

Follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key + X to get the menu.
    • Click the ‘Control Panel’ and then click on ‘Default Programs’.
    • Click on the option saying ‘Set Your Default Programs’.
    Control Panel will find the installed apps and programs and display the list. You will see the list of installed program in the left pane and the right pane will contain a description of program, along with options that let you set the program as default
    for files/protocols it can handle

Select the program that you wish to set as default, and then click on ‘Set this Program as Default’. This will set the program as default for files and protocols it can handle.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Oct 26, 2018
  3. Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Have you tried the following? how to disable "recent places" in MS Word? - Super User

jaamulberry, Oct 26, 2018
  4. Win 10, setting default software or changing default software not possible.

Default browser settings

Hi Jodi,

Incorrect browser settings is one of the possible reason why you're getting a pop up message it is not set. Kindly follow these steps to set Firefox as your default browser:

• Go to Settings.
    • Select System.
    • Click Default apps.
    • Scroll down and look for Web browser. In this case, the icon will say either Microsoft Edge or Choose your default browser.
    • Choose an app screen, select Firefox to set it as the default browser.
    • Close the windows to save your changes.
    • Then restart your PC.

We would appreciate an update about how it went.

Marilou Ser, Oct 26, 2018
Thema:

Win 10, setting default software or changing default software not possible.

1. Win 10, setting default software or changing default software not possible. - Similar Threads - setting default software

2. Not Softwares Chrome, Photoshop,... but Windows Button and Other Default Softwares are...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not Softwares Chrome, Photoshop,... but Windows Button and Other Default Softwares are...: Not Softwares Chrome, Photoshop,... but Windows Button and Other Default Softwares Media Player, Windows Settings are super slow, After not regularly using since 1 year.My PC isAmd Ryzen 5 3600, MSI B450 Mortar Max, Thermaltake Semi Modular 500w, 480 gb nvme m.2 ssd.I didn't...
  3. Not Softwares Chrome, Photoshop,... but Windows Button and Other Default Softwares are...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not Softwares Chrome, Photoshop,... but Windows Button and Other Default Softwares are...: Not Softwares Chrome, Photoshop,... but Windows Button and Other Default Softwares Media Player, Windows Settings are super slow, After not regularly using since 1 year.My PC isAmd Ryzen 5 3600, MSI B450 Mortar Max, Thermaltake Semi Modular 500w, 480 gb nvme m.2 ssd.I didn't...
  4. Not Softwares Chrome, Photoshop,... but Windows Button and Other Default Softwares are...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Change default setting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default setting: How do I change the default setting on the weather tile please RayTJ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-setting/be9c01ab-63da-4000-96f3-d6bb0314bae5
  6. How to set the default open mode for the software

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to set the default open mode for the software: 例如,文件后缀:.yml 我在设置中找不到此后缀并修改默认的打开模式。 [ATTACH] [ATTACH] 没有.yml [ATTACH] 某些文件具有此选项,但是某些文件没有此选项。 win10 Home Chinese version 1903 18362.418...
  7. changing default setting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    changing default setting: I have set my laptop to open a .dav document with Widows Media Player. However, that can't do it so I now wish to change to another programme that will open it but can't work out how to....
  8. Win 10 changes printer settings if not a default printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 changes printer settings if not a default printer: I work in a large business where there are a mix of Windows 10 and Windows 7. With Windows 7, we can have our label printer and an HP LaserJet connected to one PC with updated drivers, driver settings to use printer settings, and correct printer settings for each application....
  9. Impossible to set VLC to default software for viewing photos

in Windows 10 Customization
    Impossible to set VLC to default software for viewing photos: Hi, I am in charge of some Windows machines where I have to use VLC. I use it for videos automatically, I've tuned it to a fine point where I can show videos in another screen professionally. I would like to set it also as the default app for images (png, jpg, etc). But...
  10. changing default settings

in Browsers and Email
    changing default settings: I have office 2013 and use outlook for my email. When I delete a message it goes into my trash folder and not my deleted folder. Plus the trash folder keeps only a few days of deleted emai9ls. How can I change outlook to send deleted items to the deleted folder and also keep...