Windows 10: Win 10 sharing with no "workgroup"

Discus and support Win 10 sharing with no "workgroup" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, have two machines, running Win 10 Home, both I think are called 32 bit. One machine I use for myself, writing, personally created music,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JustB1, Nov 16, 2019.

1. JustB1 Win User

Win 10 sharing with no "workgroup"

Hello,

have two machines, running Win 10 Home, both I think are called 32 bit. One machine I use for myself, writing, personally created music, financial etc, the other is used by us both for e-mails, and other information. I had a kind of partial sharing between machines including (partial) sharing of the printers installed on each machine under the "work-group" setup. (Not sure How is got it to work but it did on the drives and files I accessed the most. I could go from say machine "A" and get/edit/store/retrieve files but only limited access the other way. I could print from Machine A to the printer on Machine A, and also on the printer attached to machine B. However, from machine "B" I could only access the printer attached to machine B. Now that Microsoft has eliminated "work-group", the two machines will not show up on each others "network" and I cannot see the printer on the other machine. I have a hard wired network thru a router, connected to a Direct TV (wireless?) modem.

I have clicked, checked, unchecked everything I can find over time and cannot make the two machines talk/share with each other. Don't really know what all I did, open, closed, tweaked but nothing has worked to date. I don't use the cloud thing, Microsoft edge or whatever, or the "one file or one drive thing" What do I need to click on to allow me to access my files on either machine? The transfer of files via CD or flash drive then physically feed it into the other machine is not acceptable nor is continually swapping my external hard-drive from one machine to the other just to transfer information.

Help appreciated.

thank you

b

:)

JustB1, Nov 16, 2019
  2. jdraw Win User

Unable to Access XP Workgroup Shared Printer from Win 10 Home 1709

Thanks John. But I'm trying to share a printer that is physically attached to a desktop running XP SP3 with a Lenovo laptop running Win 10. Both machines are on a workgroup named WORKGROUP. The printer is identified a shared and it shows up as shared on
    the XP machine.

So the question is if you have a workgroup consisting of an XP machine, a VISTA machine and a Win 10 machine, how can you share the printer that is attached to the XP machine.

Each machine spec shows it is part of the WORKGROUP workgroup. This worked consistently for the past few years. I believe the issue has something to do with the latest release/update of WIN 10 --but I don't know that for certain. I am not a network person.

jdraw, Nov 16, 2019
  3. cmilstead Win User
    Can't See Shared Win10 Machine/Seeker in workgroup but shows in domain

I have scoured the Networking and Sharing portion of this Win 10 Forum for an answer to my issue but have not found anything that works.

We have a peer to peer network, with one Win 10 machine (acting as server - which we call server) which shares several hard drives for everyone in the office to access. It has network discovery on, file and printer sharing on, turn off password protected sharing off. It has all the drives named and shared properly so everyone has full access. All the other Win 7, and Win 8 machines have complete access as designed. Another Win 10 machine has complete access as designed. All machines are part of the same workgroup Engineer. My machine is a Lenovo laptop which was upgraded from Win 8 to Win 10. When I try to access the Win 10 machine (which is acting as server), I get the Enter Network credentials pop-up asking for Username and Password which we do not use nor have ever set up on the Win 10 machine or any other. I know that there are several posts that have the Enter Network credentials popping up, but the difference is that their screenshot showed them as part of a workgroup. See the following:

Win 10 sharing with no "workgroup" [​IMG]

When I get the same pop-up on my Lenovo Laptop It looks like the following:

My System Properties information:

Notice that the example above which is part of the workgroup has no reference to a domain. My pop-up on the Laptop shows reference to a domain, and whats interesting is that the domain is the computer name of the laptop itself. There are no domains set up on any machine of our peer to peer network. I think what needs to be done is the Laptop needs to be convinced it is not part of a domain but part of a workgroup called Engineer, and that might be one step in solving the problem. I wouldn't doubt that after solving that issue that a lot of the others listed in other threads will rear their ugly heads afterwords, but who knows, knowing how to resolve that might solve all my problems. Any ideas community?

Thanks in advance for your help.

cmilstead, Nov 16, 2019
  4. jdraw Win User

Unable to Access XP Workgroup Shared Printer from Win 10 Home 1709

Thanks Gianni1962. I am looking for print sharing specifically not file sharing. I looked at some of your posts and had them translated but did not see anything specific WIN 10 sharing a printer that's on XP but in same Workgroup.

jdraw, Nov 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Win 10 sharing with no "workgroup" - Similar Threads - sharing workgroup

2. Access file share on a workgroup server from a domain PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access file share on a workgroup server from a domain PC: Hi, I have problem to access a file share with the local user credential from a domain joined PC. I map the file share through network drive and select different user the login prompt shows up but the credential never get pass. Is it anything wrong that I do?...
  3. Access file share on a workgroup server from a domain PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access file share on a workgroup server from a domain PC: Hi, I have problem to access a file share with the local user credential from a domain joined PC. I map the file share through network drive and select different user the login prompt shows up but the credential never get pass. Is it anything wrong that I do?...
  4. Unable to connect to shared printer in workgroup environment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect to shared printer in workgroup environment: Dear team, I am trying to connect to the printer from windows 11 which is shared from windows 10 machine. During which i am frequently encountering "windows couldn't connect to the printer check the printer name and try again " i tried each and every step present over...
  5. Unable to connect to shared printer in workgroup environment

Unable to connect to shared printer in workgroup environment: Dear team, I am trying to connect to the printer from windows 11 which is shared from windows 10 machine. During which i am frequently encountering "windows couldn't connect to the printer check the printer name and try again " i tried each and every step present over...
  6. One PC in the same workgroup can't connect to a share on the other.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One PC in the same workgroup can't connect to a share on the other.: 1 PC one is connecting wirelessly to a TP-Link access point.2 The TP-Link is wired to an ethernet switch3 PC two is wired to the same ethernet switch4 PC one is running Windows 11 Pro5 PC two is running Windows 10 Pro6 PC one has an IP Address like 192.160.1.107 PC two has an...
  7. One PC in the same workgroup can't connect to a share on the other.

One PC in the same workgroup can't connect to a share on the other.: 1 PC one is connecting wirelessly to a TP-Link access point.2 The TP-Link is wired to an ethernet switch3 PC two is wired to the same ethernet switch4 PC one is running Windows 11 Pro5 PC two is running Windows 10 Pro6 PC one has an IP Address like 192.160.1.107 PC two has an...
  8. Windows 2019 Workgroup - granting shared folder permission from network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 2019 Workgroup - granting shared folder permission from network: I have a workgroup server and shared a folder. Granted a user A to have full permission. This was done at the server.From network, when A access the folder and try to grant permission for user B by clicking the Find Now, A cannot view any users that created in this workgroup...
  9. Windows 2019 Workgroup - granting shared folder permission from network

Windows 2019 Workgroup - granting shared folder permission from network: I have a workgroup server and shared a folder. Granted a user A to have full permission. This was done at the server.From network, when A access the folder and try to grant permission for user B by clicking the Find Now, A cannot view any users that created in this workgroup...
  10. Windows 2019 Workgroup - granting shared folder permission from network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing