Windows 10: Win 10 slow boot - disbale HDD until need / windows fully loaded

Discus and support Win 10 slow boot - disbale HDD until need / windows fully loaded in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, Issue description: Win 10 boot time is slow about 35-40 sec when additional HDDs are connected Win loading splash screen until login. Booting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Georg99, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Georg99 Win User

Win 10 slow boot - disbale HDD until need / windows fully loaded

Hi,

Issue description:

Win 10 boot time is slow about 35-40 sec when additional HDDs are connected Win loading splash screen until login.

Booting with only the OS SSD takes about 5 seconds splash screen until login. So clearly the HDDs are slowing down the boot process.

When booting, as soon as hitting the win 10 splash loading screen, i clearly hear the HDD spindles starting up. Not sure why windows needs the HDDs during boot.

The same HDDs + SSD with the same setup worked fine without boot issues on another client pc, i just moved them to new hardware.

Setup:

1x SSD M2. NVMe - OS the only active volume

1x 4TB SATA HDD

2x 2TB SATA HDD Mirrowed

Windows 10 Ent. Edt. 64bit 2020H2 fresh install, no additional software beside, drivers/chipset

Configurations / trial an error:

- removed all other boot devices from BIOS boot options

- BIOS fast boot option enabled

- BIOS update

- fresh Win 10 installation installed while all drives were connected, no programs on any of the HDDs

- tried different SATA ports

- performed chkdisk /F /R on all HDDs

- disabled "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed" for all HDDs

- ensured nothing from the HDDs is in the indexed "Indexing Options" + rebuild index

- checked with diskpart that there are no other active volumes

- checked Power Settings

- checked msconfig boot & services config. nothing really there on a fresh installation

- checked devmgmt.msc no issues there but i noticed that the 4TB is also listed under "Portable Devices" which is weird

- checked diskmgmt.msc, all looks good here as well.

- checked eventvwr for any issues / errors during startup system / application log clean shutdown and boot

- ensured HDDs sources are not part of any Quick access in explorer

- same behavior for shutdown -> boot, or restart.

- some hours of googling and reading...

So here i am, running out of ideas.

Is there any way to prevent the HDDs from spinning up until windows is fully loaded?

Or having some kind of default sleep mode and only wake up whenever they are needed the first time? Because once windows is loaded, the HDDs are definitly not in sleep mode as they are instantaneously available not just the thumbprint / index, but actually reading writing works without spinn up.

Any other ideas?

:)

Georg99, Jan 22, 2021
  2. Jborg Win User

windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

10 Tips for SSD Optimization in Windows 7 - Part 1

Looks to be similar to this: SSD Optimization for your Windows Gaming PC and Tips and Tricks

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Jan 22, 2021
  3. scevism Win User
    windows 10 slow boot

Just done a fresh install of windows 10. Still got the same problem.
    Turn pc on from cold or a restart. Hangs on the win boot logo for a minute or so then boots in to the desktop
    cant work it out why its so slow to boot up? any ideas*Mad Win 10 slow boot - disbale HDD until need / windows fully loaded :mad:

scevism, Jan 22, 2021
  4. rtwjunkie Win User

windows 10 slow boot

To add to what @Drone said, W10 still does not seem to like power-saving features in BIOS, and doesn't seem to like the "fast start" option in Windows, which ironically makes it faster without that option.

rtwjunkie, Jan 22, 2021
Thema:

1. Win 10 slow boot - disbale HDD until need / windows fully loaded - Similar Threads - slow boot disbale

2. New PC build - Slow to load into Windows 10 and toolbar won't load until I click on it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New PC build - Slow to load into Windows 10 and toolbar won't load until I click on it: Slow to load in once I get to login screen. Takes about 30 seconds after I put my pin in. Taskbar will not load icons until I click on taskbar. Until it loads mousewheel is spinning which I have to click on taskbar to load as well. What I've done. chkdsk, sch/scannow, windows...
  3. New PC build - Slow to load into Windows 10 and toolbar won't load until I click on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New PC build - Slow to load into Windows 10 and toolbar won't load until I click on it: Slow to load in once I get to login screen. Takes about 30 seconds after I put my pin in. Taskbar will not load icons until I click on taskbar. Until it loads mousewheel is spinning which I have to click on taskbar to load as well. What I've done. chkdsk, sch/scannow, windows...
  4. New PC build - Slow to load into Windows 10 and toolbar won't load until I click on it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Slow boot up in win 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow boot up in win 10: My laptop is Inspiron 5559, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD running on win 10 Version 20H2. My laptop is very slow to boot up I know HDD is slow but is this still normal? I already tried the steps I can find online like running chkdsk, sfc, cleanboot, fast start-up. So I searched more to...
  6. Network Adapter Problem: Websites will not load fully and is slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Adapter Problem: Websites will not load fully and is slow: I have been having this issue for a while now. I have contacted my Internet provider, and they say my connection and modem look okay. But the connection to my homepage on Microsoft Edge is slow to load and it won't load my homepage or websites all the way. I troubleshooted...
  7. Laptop not booting fully when external HDD plugged in.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop not booting fully when external HDD plugged in.: My Surface Book doesn't boot 100% through when I have a HDD plugged in via USB. It's "waiting" past the login screen. Only when I unplug the HDD it's loading all the services and programs. This is only on a cold boot also. There is no external programm on the HDD just files...
  8. boot time loading slow.

boot time loading slow.: I am facing the following problems while using my Dell laptop for the past few weeks : 1 The boot time loading of the laptop has become very slow due to unknown causes. 2 The opening of files,folders, and softwares also takes a considerable amount of time during...
  9. Windows 10 slows until it freezes.

Windows 10 slows until it freezes.: Lately I've been having serious processing problem with my computer. My computer will be lightning fast for awhile, but then it will slow down to programs taking 10 minutes to load when 5 minutes ago it would take less than 10 seconds. I've noticed that this will typically...
  10. Desktop with Windows 10, sometimes loads fully but then slows to minutes to load programs....

Desktop with Windows 10, sometimes loads fully but then slows to minutes to load programs....: As above problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/desktop-with-windows-10-sometimes-loads-fully-but/de05337d-ece4-4163-8ccb-0c28b2ac995d