Windows 10: Win 10 Snap Assist - Inconsistent results between screens

Discus and support Win 10 Snap Assist - Inconsistent results between screens in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a strange issue with Windows 10's snap assist. It's going to seem really pedantic but it's affecting a required workflow which I wont go into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dankini, Aug 14, 2019.

1. dankini Win User

Win 10 Snap Assist - Inconsistent results between screens

I have a strange issue with Windows 10's snap assist. It's going to seem really pedantic but it's affecting a required workflow which I wont go into here.

I have 2 screens each with screen res 3840 x 2160.

The workflow requires 2 browser screens open and I use win 10's snap assist to place side-by-side.

On screen 2 snap assist results in two side-by-side browser windows each with a width of 767px which is just perfect for my purpose. The unmentioned websites render perfectly and are fully usable.

On screen 1 snap assist results in two side by side browser windows each with a width of 766px and this prevents the websites being fully usable.

To illustrate see attached screenshots from both screens where I have used Firefox's web dev tools and screen ruler to show what I mean. I'm just using google start page for illustration.

Images a & b - showing screens 1 and 2 in single window full screen browser mode - each with identical 1536px width

Image c - screen 2 operating correctly and as required in spilt screen mode using snap assist - 767px window widths each

Image d - screen 1 with snap assist 'discrepency' - 766px window widths each, small 2px between snapped windows

How can I get screen 1 to snap correctly to 767px widths eachand not lose 2 pixels?

To reiterate - this is not pedantic as it seems for my use case.
    For anyone who hasn't lost the will to live reading this and might be able to advise me I'd be most grateful.

:)

dankini, Aug 14, 2019
  2. Eric Ber Win User

Snap Assist

Hi Cory,

The Snap Assist allows you to juggle apps, arrange open windows, resize windows by simply dragging and dropping them to the edges of the screen. If you don't want to get a quarter screen snap, you can change the settings of Snap Assist by follow the steps below:

• Open the Settings app
    • Click System.
    • Click Multitasking.
    • You can turn off some of the option of Snap Assist on this window.

If you want to disable Snap Assist, you can turn off Arrange windows automatically by dragging them to the sides or corners of the screen.

Should you have further queries, feel free to post it.

Eric Ber, Aug 14, 2019
  3. Question Help About Snap assist

Hi Cendrid,

To better assist you, do let us know how exactly you are trying to use the snap features.

I would suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps:

-To snap a desktop window, left-click the window's title bar

- Hold your mouse down, and then drag it to either the left or right edges of your screen. -Release your mouse button to snap the window there.

- Repeat the same for the other windows.

Let us know the result, we will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Wungraileng Vashi, Aug 14, 2019
  4. gatorback Win User

Snap Assist: Putty Window behavior

Windows 10 Snap-Assist does not manipulate a Putty window as expected. The normal sequence starting from full-screen is:

1. Full Screen
    2. Win + ←: Half screen
    3. Win + ↑: quarter screen

Instead, with Putty:

1. Full Screen
    2. Win + ← changes to 3/4 screen and toggles from one side to another
    3. Win + ↓ hides the 3/4 screen

Is there a setting that configures the Putty windows to behave more like its peers? I tried to Google this but was not successful. I would think that this has already been done.

gatorback, Aug 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Win 10 Snap Assist - Inconsistent results between screens - Similar Threads - Snap Assist Inconsistent

2. Change Snap Assist threshold

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Snap Assist threshold: I have to basically be going the speed of light to break through the snap assist and move a window to my second monitor and there doesn't appear to be an option to fix this from what I have seen so is there any method tofix it. given I don't see the option in the multitasking...
  3. Inconsistent results between machines with Microsoft Print to PDF

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Inconsistent results between machines with Microsoft Print to PDF: I have a Surface Book laptop and an HP desktop. Both are running Windows 10 and I make a lot of use of the Microsoft Print to PDF driver. I also make a lot of use with OneDrive to provide me consistent access to the latest versions of all my files wherever I am, in the...
  4. Snap Assist error

Snap Assist error: I've had this this problem for months. Using Snap assist to put a window onto the right third requires me to place it in specific places outside of the box, and even then, the window will occupy (just shy of) half of the screen instead of the intended third, as shown in the...
  5. Inconsistency results of MRT scanning

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Inconsistency results of MRT scanning: Hi All, I ran MRT (Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool) from \Windows\System32 directly and performed a full scan. I left it working for many days. Before finishing the scan I took a screenshot: [ATTACH] As you can see at that point there were 29 files infected....
  6. Snap Assist not working correctly

Snap Assist not working correctly: Whenever I use Snap Assist I always get *this*, I've tried shutting down Dell PremierColor using Task Manager and turn the Snap Assist feature off and on. If I want to set it halfway, I have to set my cursor at very specific spots for it to work. [ATTACH] Moved from:...
  7. Snap Assist not working correctly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Snap Assist not working correctly: Whenever I use Snap Assist I always get *this*, I've tried shutting down Dell PremierColor using Task Manager and turn the Snap Assist feature off and on. If I want to set it halfway, I have to set my cursor at very specific spots for it to work. [ATTACH]...
  8. Snap Assist In Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Snap Assist In Windows 10: [ATTACH] Snap Assist is a feature in Windows 10, that is not noticed by many. Though this feature is enabled by default in every Windows 10 PC, only a very few users are using it. In this post, we will learn [...] This post How to use Snap Assist In Windows 10 is from...
  9. On-screen keyboard is inconsistent between different machines

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    On-screen keyboard is inconsistent between different machines: I've gone into the little gear icon on the on-screen keyboard, and I've downloaded language packs to avail. The matter is, the on-screen keyboard is different on all my machines. Also, opening the keyboard directly from Control Panel yields a different on-screen keyboard than...
  10. Snap / Snap Assist isues

in Windows 10 Support
    Snap / Snap Assist isues: I am not at all sure Snap & Snap Assist are working as they should. I find it rather confusing to sort out what to expect, having read some articles about it (here and elswhere.) The most obvious sign is that there is no transparent overlay. I have never seen this...