Windows 10: Win 10 sometimes freezes at logon screen

Discus and support Win 10 sometimes freezes at logon screen in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I've a problem which is driving me crazy, hope a genius out there can help me. I normally shutdown my PC over night. Sometimes but not always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by cybermcm, Jan 29, 2017.

1. cybermcm Win User

Win 10 sometimes freezes at logon screen

Hi,

I've a problem which is driving me crazy, hope a genius out there can help me.
    I normally shutdown my PC over night. Sometimes but not always when I reboot the next time, Windows loads until the lock screen and then totally freezes (keyboard, mouse, network not working). If I reboot then everything works like a charm.
    No freezes during working or gaming, no overclocking...
    There is no single event entry for the faulty boot process (it seems that the PC freezes before the Event Log service starts)
    There is however a difference in the event log if the PC freezes.
    I'm missing two entries which are normally there:
    These two entries are missing during the shutdown event. If these two are missing the next boot freezes.

It never happens on reboot

What I tried so far:
    • Updated all drivers from vendor pages (chipset, LAN, sound, graphic,...)
    • OS (Win10 x64) patched
    • Reset BIOS to default settings
    • uninstalled AV solution
    • "Fast startup" is disabled

Code: ASRock H170A-X1/3.1 Intel Core i5-6500 EKL Alpenföhn Ben Nevis 2x Kingston ValueRAM DIMM 16GB, DDR4-2133 MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8G Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX PCIe SB1570 Samsung SSD 850 Evo 500GB Toshiba X300 High-Performance 6TB be quiet! Straight Power 10-CM 500W ATX 2.4 Nanoxia Deep Silence 3 Logitech G9x Laser Mouse Logitech G15[/quote] Log File: Attachment 119349

:)

cybermcm, Jan 29, 2017
  2. THINK_HKG Win User

Windows 10 Professional - Local policy setting for default Lock Screen picture and Login screen picture for all users

How can I change the logon UI to change the logon screen image picture on Win 10? Thanks.

THINK_HKG, Jan 29, 2017
  3. Tom Stur Win User
    Microsoft Live logon requirement

When I start Win 10 I am forced to go through the MS Live logon screen. I have figured out how to automatically logon but I still have to wait over 15 seconds for the automatic logon to occur. How do I bypass the logon screen and logon entirely? I
    never use MS Live so this is just a waste of time.

It's strange that when I first installed W 10 the logon screen did not appear at startup. But after the first W 10 updates were automatically downloaded and installed a week or so later, I suddenly encountered the MS Live logon screen.

Tom Stur, Jan 29, 2017
  4. lifetec Win User

Please use the BSOD posting instruction to provide the Dumpfile BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums
    And fill in your System Specs.

First thing i thought about is BIOS version. Do you have the latest biosversion installed?

lifetec, Jan 30, 2017
  5. cybermcm Win User
    Bios is up2date.
    DumpFile contains a lot of sensitive information which info do you need?

cybermcm, Jan 30, 2017
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Everything contained in the zip file created by dm_log_collector is needed as we never know what information is needed. As far as I know, there is no sensitive info in any of the collected files. What in particular are you concerned about?

Ztruker, Jan 31, 2017
  7. cybermcm Win User
    Files contains user name, machine name, IP addresses, domain, maybe other things which can be sensitive in my point of view.
    But never mind you need it for diagnose operations, I will attach it to the first post

cybermcm, Jan 31, 2017
  8. Ztruker Win User

No dumps in the zip file and the event log (as you said) shows no problems. There is really nothing to look at for clues.
    I do see some old drivers but can't tell if they have anything to do with your problem.

Code: Description Link Date Path ====================== ====================== ================================================ SiSRaid2 2008/09/24 20:28:20 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\SiSRaid2.sys SiSRaid4 2008/10/01 23:56:04 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\sisraid4.sys Intel RAID Controller 2011/04/11 20:48:16 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\iaStorV.sys stexstor 2012/11/27 01:02:51 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\stexstor.sys amdsbs 2012/12/11 22:21:44 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\amdsbs.sys AsrDrv101 2013/01/15 07:25:51 \??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Drivers\AsrDrv101.sys VIA StorX Storage RAID 2013/01/21 20:00:28 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\vstxraid.sys LSI_SSS 2013/03/16 00:39:38 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\lsi_sss.sys HpSAMD 2013/03/26 22:36:54 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\HpSAMD.sys Logitech Gaming KMDF H 2013/05/30 17:16:33 C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\LGSHidFilt.Sys megasr 2013/06/04 00:02:39 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\megasr.sys AFXfilt 2013/06/04 05:04:44 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\AFXfilt.sys semav6msr64 2014/01/24 20:22:40 \??\C:\Windows\system32\drivers\semav6msr64.sys bcmfn2 Service 2014/03/16 11:07:36 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\bcmfn2.sys nvraid 2014/04/21 20:28:42 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nvraid.sys nvstor 2014/04/21 20:34:03 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nvstor.sys vsmraid 2014/04/22 21:21:41 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\vsmraid.sys mvumis 2014/05/23 22:39:04 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mvumis.sys[/quote] Are you sure Fast Startup is off?

What do the voltages look like in BIOS Setup? Are they stable? Close to the specified values?
    What else is connected to the PC besides mouse, keyboard, display?

Ztruker, Feb 1, 2017
  9. cybermcm Win User
    Drivers: I only installed drivers fresh from vendor sites, so drivers are as new as possible (and nevertheless some are really old)
    Fast startup: I double checked it. Today I tried to set it to on again, saved and then turned it off again. I'll check maybe this helps.
    BIOS: is up2date, voltages look fine, close to the desired values
    Connected: headphones (not USB), mouse, keyboard
    USB hub: USB cam (built into monitor), 2 external USB hard drives (they are off) and a glowing mouse pad (just a gimmick)
    Two displays (DVI and HDMI)

cybermcm, Feb 1, 2017
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Have you ever done a clean install of Windows 10 or is your setup an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1?

If nothing else helps that is something to think about. Just make sure you have a good backup, preferably a image backup using a program like Macrium reflect, to an external hard drive.

Follow this tutorial: Windows 10 - Clean Install

Ztruker, Feb 2, 2017
  11. cybermcm Win User
    My setup is a complete clean install of Windows 10 in native UEFI mode.
    One last thing I will try. Normally I cut the power to my PC after shutting down (PC is connected to a power strip). I'll try and leave the power strip on over night maybe this makes a difference.

cybermcm, Feb 2, 2017
  12. Ztruker Win User
    I don't see why it would matter but who knows. Worth a try.

Ztruker, Feb 3, 2017
  13. cybermcm Win User

short update: ever since I left the power strip on I didn't experienced a freeze. Maybe just luck but I'll continue to monitor...

cybermcm, Feb 3, 2017
  14. cybermcm Win User
    Solution *Party (worked hard to get to the bottom)
    It is a HW issue. My USB hub is causing these random freezes at boot time. It seems that the USB hub power adapter is not working correctly any more because it is not providing enough power (only about 0.8 Ampere instead of 3).
    Ordered a new one today...

cybermcm, Feb 8, 2017
  15. Ztruker Win User
    Good detective work, glad you found a fix.

Ztruker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 sometimes freezes at logon screen - Similar Threads - sometimes freezes logon

2. My computer sometimes blue screen and sometimes it just freezes. In addition, it sometimes...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My computer sometimes blue screen and sometimes it just freezes. In addition, it sometimes...: I sometimes get a blue screen error on my computer. In addition to that, my computer started freezing without giving me a blue screen error. Everything, including the mouse, sound, and keyboard, would freeze. I have formatted my computer a few times, but the problem persists....
  3. My computer sometimes blue screen and sometimes it just freezes. In addition, it sometimes...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer sometimes blue screen and sometimes it just freezes. In addition, it sometimes...: I sometimes get a blue screen error on my computer. In addition to that, my computer started freezing without giving me a blue screen error. Everything, including the mouse, sound, and keyboard, would freeze. I have formatted my computer a few times, but the problem persists....
  4. Help, sometimes blue screen, sometimes freezing 0.5-3sec

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help, sometimes blue screen, sometimes freezing 0.5-3sec: Hello,please help to recognize what process cause problem. Sometimes blue screen, sometimes freezing 0.5-3sec.Here is a link to a dump file 090122-6562-01https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah0VRne0wLVdh1RVOMInzqQ2L-Nk...
  5. Roblox's screen flickers and sometimes freezes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Roblox's screen flickers and sometimes freezes.: I got a new computer, it's really good and runs Roblox with 200fps+ easily, I have downloaded the latest driver for my RX6600. But my screen flickers and sometimes freezes but I can still move my mouse, I have tried other games such as Minecraft and COD but it doesn't happen...
  6. Roblox's screen flickers and sometimes freezes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Roblox's screen flickers and sometimes freezes.: I got a new computer, it's really good and runs Roblox with 200fps+ easily, I have downloaded the latest driver for my RX6600. But my screen flickers and sometimes freezes but I can still move my mouse, I have tried other games such as Minecraft and COD but it doesn't happen...
  7. Black Screen On Boot or Freezing at Logon Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen On Boot or Freezing at Logon Screen: I just performed a complete, clean installation of Windows 10 x64 on my upgraded PC. I have a strange issue where my PC now freezes up at the logon screen. I have an MSI MPG Gaming Edge motherboard and so when I boot up my PC, the EDGE logo comes up, and then the blue squares...
  8. After Win 10 Pro upgrade, No Logon Screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After Win 10 Pro upgrade, No Logon Screen: Win 10 Pro Dell OptiPlex 755 updated to latest version of Win 10 Pro and upon reboot, the logon screen only displays for a milli-second. Can't log on at all. Help!...
  9. Events 4672 & 4624 Win 10 Freezes - special LOGON ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Events 4672 & 4624 Win 10 Freezes - special LOGON ?: My window 10 machine continues to freeze for 5-30 seconds intermittently. [ATTACH] I am running with an boot drive on an M2 SSD, which seems to be a common thread of most people having this issue. I have already done the SFC scan, and the reset/validation of all...
  10. Win 10 Logon screen flashing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Logon screen flashing: Hey, I really need some support! I am trying to fix my pc however I really cant seem to fix it. It was working great then I turned it off and moved it and tried to reboot and thats when the error started, the problem. when you have booted you reach the login screen which...