Windows 10: Win 10 start menu cannot move icon

Discus and support Win 10 start menu cannot move icon in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi i get this problem can someone help me. i run in win 10 enterprise [img] 47745 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hendry83s, Apr 18, 2016.

1. hendry83s Win User

Win 10 start menu cannot move icon

Hi i get this problem can someone help me. i run in win 10 enterprise

Win 10 start menu cannot move icon [​IMG]

:)

hendry83s, Apr 18, 2016
  2. mdesia Win User

icons

I cannot understand the desktop in Windows 10.

I open Win 10 and I have regular icons then I click the start and get square icons for apps, then I click on list and get more square icons.

Where is the logic in this.

I prefer the start menu as in Win XP or Win 7 everything is in one place. Now the destktop can be used for frequently used programs, not all that mess Window s 10 has.

How can I get my desktop arranged so that I have icons not apps?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

mdesia, Apr 18, 2016
  3. racmck Win User
    How do I move the shortcuts on desk top to new start menu having upgraded to win 10?

I recently upgraded to win 10. I still have a number of icons on my desktop, how do I move some of these to the new win 10 start menu?

racmck, Apr 18, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi please see:
    Cannot move start menu tiles - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums

It's worth searching the forum...

Please also check in
    Settings, Privacy, General
    you don't have
    Some settings are managed by your organisation

If the fix doesn't work, do an in-place upgrade repair install

Fix:
    "One thing a while back that could fix strange oddities like this was to temporarily enable Tablet Mode

Open the Action Centre
    Turn on Tablet Mode (should all now go full screen)
    Try moving the tiles now and see if they stick
    Open Action Centre and turn off Tablet Mode
    Should look normal again, see if it makes any difference now"

======================
    An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)

This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform this major repair procedure, do create a disk image.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper (free) + their boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Apr 18, 2016
Thema:

1. Win 10 start menu cannot move icon - Similar Threads - start menu cannot

2. Win 10 Start Menu icons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win 10 Start Menu icons: Where can i find the path of the file explorer icon that is displayed in the windows start menu? I already extracted every icon possible with programs like iconsext but had no luck. This is the only one i couldn't find, at least that i am aware of. I hope someone can...
  3. Win 10 Start Menu icons not updating

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 10 Start Menu icons not updating: Hello, I have a stupid problem. Yesterday I uninstalled office 2013 and installed Office 2019. I have the new icons on my desktop and on the start menu. but not when I search using the windows button. I am trying to update the icon in the search result when I press the...
  4. Cannot move random start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move random start menu tiles: I have certain start menu tiles, regardless of size, that can be displaced by other tiles, but if you try to move them anywhere on their own, they just snap back into their original position. This condition has existed for me I would say years now. As in the past, the only...
  5. Win 10 Start Menu icons not updating

Win 10 Start Menu icons not updating: Hi, I've changed icons of Office 2019 applications to the new ones and they show correctly on the list of programs on the left site of the menu. However, when I 'pin to start' an application (e.g. Word or Excel) the icons of the tiles on the right hand side are shown as...
  6. Icon/tile size on start menu in Win 10

Icon/tile size on start menu in Win 10: Win 10 gives two 'Resize' options for icons/tiles on the start menu when you add something via 'Pin to Start'. These sizes are 'Small' and 'Medium'. Does anyone know if there is a very small option at all? 62749
  7. Cannot move start menu tiles

Cannot move start menu tiles: I cannot move the tiles on the start menu. As soon as I try to click and drag one it immediately disapears, only to reappear in the original location when I reboot. Everything else seems to work with them, I can pin new apps (although I haven't worked out how to get them in...
  8. Cannot move or pin items to start menu. (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move or pin items to start menu. (Windows 10): I have had windows 10 for over a year now, and I have recently discovered I am unable to move around any tiles or pin new ones. I have tried "TileCreator" from the windows store, and that also doesn't work. I cannot even unpin current tiles. Here is an image below of what...
  9. Cannot move start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move start menu tiles: I cannot move/rearrange start menu tiles. when I click to select a tile, it immediately opens the application and closes the menu. I am running Win 10 v1703 93199
  10. Can't move icons in Windows 10 Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't move icons in Windows 10 Start Menu: I just started having a weird issue where when I'm trying to rearrange my start menu pins, as soon as the icons all go dim when I'm dragging one, the icon I'm dragging disappears and I lose the ability to move anything. The whole start menu is still responsive - I can click...