Windows 10: Win 10 stuck in diagnostic startup no login window

Discus and support Win 10 stuck in diagnostic startup no login window in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I set windows to do a diagnostic startup to try and chase down a problem but... It gets to what would be the login screen ( power, ease of access... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Dan79, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Dan79 Win User

Win 10 stuck in diagnostic startup no login window

Hi, I set windows to do a diagnostic startup to try and chase down a problem but... It gets to what would be the login screen ( power, ease of access etc in bottom right) but the login boxes are not there and every so often the screen brightens and try to do something but just stuck! I did have auto login set. Any ideas how to get back to normal boot?

:)

Dan79, Oct 3, 2016

2. Windows 10 stuck in diagnostic mode at startup

Hi,

Follow these steps to do a Clean Install.

If you do a Clean Install then it would be activated with the Digital Entitlement.

Start fresh with a clean installation of Windows 10

Start fresh with a clean installation of Windows 10

Clean Install Windows 10

Clean Install Windows 10

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Oct 3, 2016
  3. RyRy74 Win User
    Windows 10 stuck in diagnostic mode at startup

I will apologize in advance for this lenghty description, which is necessary because my issues are nearly impossible for me to explain and I'm going insane!!

I was recently attacked by the backdoor:Win32/Floxif(from infected CCleaner update), which was caught and quarantined by Malwarebytes and Defender and was successfully removed. Unfortunately, it had already wreaked havoc on my system. The more I troubleshot,
    the worse it got. Locked me out of control panel, and wouldn't even let me open file explorer! My system slowed down more and more with each attempt and restart. Eventually, it became a real challenge to even log in to my user account-- I had to type my password
    as fast as i could because it would flip back to lock screen. 4-7 attempts and my desktop would finally appear and take 5, 10, 20, 30 minutes, progressively, to load completely! At some point, during startup, I got the spinning wheel of diagnosing problems/Attempting
    repairs, ending up at the blue screen telling me there was a problem. I navigated to advanced settings, etc. on and on only to be stuck in the restart/diagnostic mode endless loop. I can no longer even get my desktop to load, luckily I have an iPad so I can
    get online to search for a solution!

Resetting--unsuccessful. Recovery--unsuccessful. My machine is a ASUS Vivo PC(Piece of Crap), but all I use it for is streaming video, backing up phone, pictures, music, etc. and all of the files stored on it are backed up on other devices, wiping it clean
    is fine with me. I'm thinking that startup in safe mode w/networking and downloading/clean install of Windows 10 is the answer-- but can't even get that accomplished because I can't even get past the ever-spinning wheel of "Attempting repairs!"

HELP ME PLEASE!! I'm seriously ready to use my Glock to "fix" it permanently

RyRy74, Oct 3, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

If you power off the machine, and then hold down the shift key while it starts booting, you should be able to enter your alternate boot key to bring up the Windows 10 boot menu. If you can boot into Windows that way, you can boot into a Command Prompt and run SFC /Scannow and/or DISM /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth at the command line. This will tell you if you have problems in need of fixing before resuming normal activity. You might also want to run chkdsk /f on your boot drive as well to see if you have disk issues, too. Please try this, and report back with your results (or lack thereof).

For more info, check out this PCWorld article: How to enter Windows 10's Safe Mode | PCWorld. It shows how to access the Win10 boot menu in a variety of ways, and may shed more light on this subject. If you search the Tutorials here at TenForums with a string like "Boot Windows 10 into command prompt" you'll also find lots of useful stuff, too.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 3, 2016
  5. Dan79 Win User
    Holding shift at startup didn't do anything just boots to the login splash screen without the username or password boxes. Can't get task manager or run prompt

Dan79, Oct 3, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Can you get into the BIOS at all? You may need to disable Fast Startup (or whatever your mfgr calls it). Surprised that Shift key isn't helping, though... You should probably go ahead and fill out your system specs in more detail, so I can start looking for sources of focused help to get you into BIOS. After that, we can have you boot to alternate media and attempt repairs that way, if necessary.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 3, 2016
  7. Dan79 Win User
    Fast boot is disabled in bios but still not getting any menu/options,. K/b is ps2 and working! Is there a way to change the msconfig from diagnostic start to normal via dos?

Dan79, Oct 3, 2016
  8. Dan79 Win User

I've got into the recovery options via a win 10 usb drive made with the media creation tool, would doing a system restore reset the msconfig boot setting?

Dan79, Oct 3, 2016
  9. Dan79 Win User
    Can't do system restore from usb media says I have to choose what windows installation to repair but no options! Also when I boot usb media win 10 it say...
    Looks as though you started an upgrade and booted from installation media to continue with upgrade remove media and click yes to perform a clean install click no.

Mine is a win 7 to 10 upgrade, problems have started since i got the anniversary update. Think I'm going to have to do a fresh install :-(

Dan79, Oct 3, 2016
  10. Dan79 Win User
    Thanks for your help but I've managed to save my important stuff with linux. Now I'm reinstalling

Dan79, Oct 3, 2016
  11. EdTittel Win User
    You had to resort to a more extreme fix than I'd hoped you would, but it sounds like you are well on the way to solving your problems. Thanks for keeping at it: enough perseverance will you past most Windows problems. Good job!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 stuck in diagnostic startup no login window - Similar Threads - stuck diagnostic startup

2. Stuck in diagnostics startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck in diagnostics startup: I was trying to troubleshoot by using Diagnostic Startup to rule out if software was interfering with my computer, so I used msconfig to chooseDiagnostic Startup so only system services would run, and now I"m stuck in it. At the lock screen, it says "Something happened with...
  3. Stuck in diagnostics startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck in diagnostics startup: I was trying to troubleshoot by using Diagnostic Startup to rule out if software was interfering with my computer, so I used msconfig to chooseDiagnostic Startup so only system services would run, and now I"m stuck in it. At the lock screen, it says "Something happened with...
  4. Stuck in diagnostics startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Stuck in diagnostics startup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Stuck in login screen after enabling diagnostic startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck in login screen after enabling diagnostic startup: I was having issues with freezing games so I enabled diagnostic startup, that was a HUGE mistake.I’m now stuck at the login screen, it says “Something happened and your PIN isn’t available. Click to setup your PIN again.”-Clicking to setup PIN does nothing.-Every password I...
  7. Stuck in login screen after enabling diagnostic startup

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Stuck in login screen after enabling diagnostic startup: I was having issues with freezing games so I enabled diagnostic startup, that was a HUGE mistake.I’m now stuck at the login screen, it says “Something happened and your PIN isn’t available. Click to setup your PIN again.”-Clicking to setup PIN does nothing.-Every password I...
  8. Stuck in login screen after enabling diagnostic startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. (SOLVED) Stuck in Diagnostic Startup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    (SOLVED) Stuck in Diagnostic Startup: After hours and HOURS of searching online, I found a loophole for using the Command Prompt at my lockscreen, which I used to make my other account an admin and run msconfig and return it to Normal Startup. Thanks for your help guys! :) ---- I was trying to troubleshoot...
  10. Stuck In Diagnostic Startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck In Diagnostic Startup: I messed up my computer and need some real expert help to straighten this one out. Any assistance / suggestions would be appreciated. Details are below: MY SYSTEM: Dell E6400 Upgraded from Win 7 to Win10 Pro (so directories after c prompt show old folders and Win10...