Windows 10: Win 10 Symbolic link to SSD from HDD speed

Discus and support Win 10 Symbolic link to SSD from HDD speed in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; ***The post was written in English by the original poster therefore it will be directed to the appropriate forum by the moderator*** Hello, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by hoyeonjigi, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Win 10 Symbolic link to SSD from HDD speed

***The post was written in English by the original poster therefore it will be directed to the appropriate forum by the moderator***

Hello,

I recently installed an SSD to my computer and installed Windows 10 on this disk.

I also have a HDD.

I found many people from the internet saying that symbolic-linking directories (and files) from HDD to SSD will do the same effect as they are originally stored in the SSD, which can boost the speed in accessing those files, even though they are 'really' stored in HDD.

Does it really work? I think I don't believe this because they are actually stored in HDD, not in SSD.

I continuously tried to find some official or detailed explanation of how it works, but I couldn't yet find any comparing data (HDD-to-SSD symbolic link vs. just HDD) that shows performance increase in statistics or charts, you know.

A technical description from an authenticated expert of Microsoft will be VERY appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

:)

hoyeonjigi, Sep 29, 2019

2. Post your HDD and SSD Speeds!

Wonderful idea. Sort of had this idea myself while updating the list.

Will apply this update now!

UPDATE APPLIED!

List is now in order of fastest to slowest, as it was, but is now split into 4 different sections! SSD's, SSD's in RAID, HDD's, HDD's in RAID! *Smile Win 10 Symbolic link to SSD from HDD speed :)

satindemon4u, Sep 29, 2019
  3. Post your HDD and SSD Speeds!

Updating list, NICE speed JA!

Doing math with those tests sucks.
    Add them alllll up, divide. Ew.

EDIT: will edit the list again with your third HDD lol. Boot time with your SSD's?

satindemon4u, Sep 29, 2019
  4. Win 10 Symbolic link to SSD from HDD speed

Symbolic links & Disk Usage

Hello - thank you for taking the time to look at this post.

I was working with symbolic links - I successfully symbolic linked a couple folders/directories from my SSD C: drive to my HDD D: drive (confirmed
    in both in the Windows GUI and on the CMD - running "as a administrator")

However, I noticed that the usage on the SSD C: drive was still the same, even after the links were
    successfully established. Is their anyway,
    or program, that will report the true space used?

**** I am VERY worried that Windows will say the SSD is full at some point, even when most of the files are truly on the HDD ****

Jules Hersh, Sep 29, 2019
Thema:

Win 10 Symbolic link to SSD from HDD speed

1. Win 10 Symbolic link to SSD from HDD speed - Similar Threads - Symbolic link SSD

2. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD: My PC has a WD 1 T HDD as the primary drive with Win 10 installed. There is also an 2nd older WD HDD for data storage purposes if ever needed - unlikely.I recently bought a new 500 GB SSD drive. I would like to install my WIN 10 on the new SSD using it as the primary drive.To...
  3. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD: My PC has a WD 1 T HDD as the primary drive with Win 10 installed. There is also an 2nd older WD HDD for data storage purposes if ever needed - unlikely.I recently bought a new 500 GB SSD drive. I would like to install my WIN 10 on the new SSD using it as the primary drive.To...
  4. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. SSD upgrade while preserving Symbolic Links??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD upgrade while preserving Symbolic Links??: Hello everyone! I have two SSD slots in my laptop. I have two ssds in them, both 256 gb. The primary drive has about 100 gb used while the secondary drive is almost full. I have many symbolic links for many different music production related programs and files that pretty...
  6. Are there drawbacks if I move my win 10 from a HDD to an SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Are there drawbacks if I move my win 10 from a HDD to an SSD?: Title pretty self explanatory, I got an SSD, wondering if migrating my windows 10 somehow to my SSD instead of reinstalling everything is okay? Does it have some drawbacks/cons that Im unaware of? submitted by /u/ForemanBlackjack [link] [comments]...
  7. Moving Boot from HDD to new SSD in Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Boot from HDD to new SSD in Win 10: My old computer went "bad" (I suspect that Windows updates became increasingly incompatible with my seven year-old hardware), so I decided to upgrade my motherboard, CPU and add a new SSD NVMe drive. I would like to boot from my SSD and run Adobe Photoshop 6.0 on it, but all...
  8. Transfer Win 10 from SSD - HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Win 10 from SSD - HDD: I bought a laptop from a pawn shop ( old one was dying ). The "new" machine has very small SSD ( 110gb ) and I want to replace it with an HDD ( 1TB ) I recently purchased? The following image is the output from a Powershell command I found here on the forums. It's a retail...
  9. Win 10 on both HDD and SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 on both HDD and SSD?: I will buy a SSD for my Acer desktop and install Win 10 on it and other programs I have on my computer. If I do a clean install of Win 10 on my SSD, do I have to delte Win 10 on the HDD first? I guess it is not allowed having two Windows 10 on the same computer (both...
  10. HDD v SSD boot speed.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    HDD v SSD boot speed.: When I bought my new laptop, a Lenovo Ideapad 310 ( i3 2.2mh with 8gb ddr4), I brought the 1tb Seagate up to date, removed it and fitted a 500gb Samsung 850 EVO which received a clean install of W10hp 64. Using Mini tool partition wizard, I have just cloned the drive using a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mklink /j folder onedrive icons incorrect