Windows 10: Win 10 System/boot Disk Issue

Discus and support Win 10 System/boot Disk Issue in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm concerned about an issue with my computer set up. To go back to the beginning. I had Win 7 installed, upgraded to win 8 with a fresh install, so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KeithW.D., Apr 20, 2020.

1. KeithW.D. Win User

Win 10 System/boot Disk Issue

I'm concerned about an issue with my computer set up.

To go back to the beginning. I had Win 7 installed, upgraded to win 8 with a fresh install, so had a dual boot up. When Microsoft gave the free upgrade to Win 10, I took advantage of that and it installed on a partition on a different drive.

I notice now that the drive Win 8 is on, is marked as the System drive Drive D and the partition with Win 10 on, as the Boot drive Drive C. Dual Boot up.

I want to transfer Win 10 onto the the Win 8, D drive from the partition its currently on. Therefore getting rid of the dual boot up and Win 8.

I have taken an image off the Win 10 C Drive and want to restart using a Diskimage CD and transfer it to the other drive, Win 8 D Drive, therefore turning it into the System/Boot C Drive. Will I have any issues with this System/Boot drive setup? should I go into the bios and change the dynamics between the 2 drives prior to the change or after on boot up?

Not having a hard copy of Win 10 doesn't help either!

Any thoughts and advice?

The drives are:

Win 8 D Drive is a 500gb drive Un-partitioned,

The drive that the Win 10 partition, is on is a 1.5gb drive. split into 5 partitions.

Keith

:)

KeithW.D., Apr 20, 2020

2. dual boot win 10

I had upgraded my old 32 bit win 10 to a 64 bit win 10 system and while I was transferring my files, I dual booted from the original 32 bit Win 10 system. Now that everything is running smoothly, I would like to remove the old 32 bit partition and included
    the space in my new 64 bit system. However, when I go into the disk management, it is listing the old 32 bit system as 'system,active,primary' partition and is listing my new 64 bit system as (boot, pagefile, crash dump, primary partiton). I am afraid to make
    this partition as active in case I lose all my files. Any suggestion of how to get rid of the 32 bit partition and make the 64 bit system bootable?

Thanks

Key Buster

KeyBusters, Apr 20, 2020
  3. geotso Win User
    Can't safely remove external disk

In reference to the steps of your suggestions:

• The issue is specific to the particular disk and it started after I've used the disk to save the System image backup (created with the Control Panel > File History tool).
    • I didn't disable any windows Service. I'm just wondering if there is any to disable.
    • Safe boot with networking, or clean boot doesn't resolve the issue.

Thank you.

geotso, Apr 20, 2020
  4. Suupala Win User

Disk boot failure after removing old Vista partition

Thank you for the reply, muchomurka! As I indicated in my post, I have already tried all the steps you suggested to no avail:

- I cannot choose startup repair since the computer does not boot from the installation media
    - I cannot use command prompt since the computer does not boot further than the POST screen
    - I have disconnected and tried out all hard drives individually.

Since I had Win 10 up and running a few hours ago, I can say with 100% certainty that none of the hardware is faulty.

The real mystery is, how come the system won't boot from any media without an empty disk containing an old Vista boot sector being on top of the boot priority list? And which steps to take now that I've cleaned this disk and it does not exist anymore?

Would appreciate any ideas and pointers!

Suupala, Apr 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Win 10 System/boot Disk Issue - Similar Threads - System boot Disk

2. Win 10 boot issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 boot issue: Hello, so I'm having an issue . My PC keeps booting to the "choose an option screen". I have seen multiple videos on how to help but the thing is . I don't own another PC so I can't create a bootable USBCan someone help? Thanks....
  3. Problem with Win 10 system repair disk or recovery disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with Win 10 system repair disk or recovery disk: I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me regarding safety disks/usb. I have Windows 10 Home 64bit. It says ut is version 19042, 1502 I am trying to make a new up-to-date Windows system repair disk. My previous repair disk seems to boot up fine but the two brand new...
  4. reinstall win 10 dual boot system

reinstall win 10 dual boot system: I need to reinstall win 10 without deleting Ubuntu OS I do not know how to tell windows to overwrite only old win 10 partition and not entire hd Thank You 171641
  5. Disk check when booting to win 10

Disk check when booting to win 10: This computer problem never ends! Now when booting to win 10 (selecting it from the bios as my boot disk), it does a disk check. Any reason why it would suddenly start doing this? 171301
  6. Win 10 boot issue...help!

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 boot issue...help!: Hi everyone, My Acer laptop crashed from a BSOD and I'm no longer able to boot into Win 10, I suspect it was a recent Win 10 update but cannot be 100% sure. These are the things I've attempted to troubleshoot my laptop. - Attempted to use Win 10 self fix service, system...
  7. NVME issues for booting win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NVME issues for booting win 10: Hi, I was recently rebuilding my PC and decided to upgrade to a 2TB PCIE 4 NVME. I also Previously had a Samsung 960 PRO. I did a clean install from a USBC SSD. For some reason, I have to have my BIOS set to legacy in order to recognize and boot from the new NVME. How can I...
  8. Win 10 Boot issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 Boot issue: I am trying to install Windows 10 from my USB stick since my SSD died on me. I am constantly getting this error: "0xc0000098 Windows/System32/Drivers/Ehstortcgdrv.sys" I have tried searching this online on my own but solutions tell me to use my USB stick to fix this issue....
  9. win 10 boot issue

win 10 boot issue: I am using Win 10 . i never made a recovery USB where can i download a free copy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-boot-issue/f06d7a34-68ab-4cdc-a3f2-b11f13922b0d
  10. Win 10 System repair disk question

Win 10 System repair disk question: Since now I don't have install disks and I have 4 versions of Win 10 (Home 64 bit, Home 32 bit, Pro 64 bit and Pro 32 bit) do I need 4 versions of system repair disk or will one disk work on everything? Tks. 19120