Windows 10: Win 10 System Image Backup Problem In A Drive With Multi-NTFS Partitions

Discus and support Win 10 System Image Backup Problem In A Drive With Multi-NTFS Partitions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Previous posted question was buried in the sea of questions and not being noticed and no replies, here I am trying again.Win 10 "Create System Image"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jtmy888, Aug 25, 2021.

1. jtmy888 Win User

Win 10 System Image Backup Problem In A Drive With Multi-NTFS Partitions

Previous posted question was buried in the sea of questions and not being noticed and no replies, here I am trying again.Win 10 "Create System Image" from "Backup and Restore Windows 7" had been very reliable and had been successfully restored many times for my different PCs. In the past I used one drive for one system image. However, I have several PCs and different OS 32-bit and 64-bit versions. There are just so many drives to handle. Recently, I bought a 5TB external HDD and made ten partitions mostly NTFS partitions, one exFAT and one FAT32 partition out of it, with the hope that

:)

jtmy888, Aug 25, 2021
  2. FX-GMC Win User

Move Win7 64 image from a partition NTFS to a new drive

EDIT: After reading your first post again, is there any reason that you would now need GPT? Are you just trying to move the windows install to a new disk or is there a new motherboard involved?

If you are already booting to an NTFS partition, then it makes me wonder if after copying to the new drive, the partition isn't getting marked as Active.

Following the same steps I posted above for startup repair, you can get to a command prompt and use diskpart to see if this is the case.

Code: In the command prompt: diskpart list disk select disk 0 (disk number may be different if you have other disks connected.) list partition select partition 0 (partition number number may vary, but you want to see the boot partition which is the same as your windows partition according to the screenshot on the OP) detail partition (This should have Active: Yes or No. If it says no, since we have the partition selected, you can just use the following command in diskpart) active[/quote]

FX-GMC, Aug 25, 2021
  3. rcglider Win User
    Win 10 repair disk unable to find Win 10 system image backup

As a workaround to this issue, I have verified that by doing a system image backup from Win 7 and adding the Win 10 partition to the list of partitions (the Win 10 partition appears to be a "data" partition from Win 7 perspective) to be backed up by the
    Win 7 system image backup, I can then restore both Win 7 and Win 10 partitions. The main drawback is I have to restore the Win 7 partition in order to restore the Win 10 partition. I can choose to only restore the Win 7 partition, but not to only restore the
    Win 10 partition.

As a side note, if I restore a Win 7 image backup made before I installed Win 10, then there's no option to restore "Windows 10" from either Win 10 or Win 7 repair. I'm wondering if or how a Win 10 repair would function if restoring to a replaced hard drive.
    If all of the partitions on a hard drive are included during a system image backup, then system image restore is supposed to be able to partition and format a hard drive as part of the repair restore. I have the impression that Win 7 repair restore can do
    this, but I'm not sure if Win 10 repair restore can do this.

rcglider, Aug 25, 2021
  4. rcgldr Win User

Win 7 image restore breaks ability to see Win 10 image backups

I have a multi-boot system, XP Pro (32 bit), XP Pro X64 (64 bit), Win 7 Pro (64 bit), Win 10 Pro (64 bit). Each OS is on a separate hard drive and partition. The C: partition is boot only (no operating system on it).

I did a system image backup from Win 10 and also from Win 7. Once I do a Win 7 image restore using Win 7 repair (dvd), the Win 10 images backups no longer appear in the list of backups if I later run Win 10 repair or Win 7 repair.

The workaround for this bug is to do a system image backup from Win 7 and include the Win 10 partition in the Win 7 image backup (to Win 7, the Win 10 partition is a "data" partition). The the Win 7 repair will restore the Win 10 partition unless restore to "non-system" partitions is turned off. I confirmed this works by formatting both the Win 7 and Win 10 partitions before doing a repair / restore test.

What I don't understand is what the Win 7 restore changes to my system that prevents the Win 10 backup system images from appearing in the list of image backups. The Win 10 image folders are still present on my hard drive(s).

rcgldr, Aug 25, 2021
Thema:

1. Win 10 System Image Backup Problem In A Drive With Multi-NTFS Partitions - Similar Threads - System Image Backup

2. Win 10 System Image Backups Will Have Partial Contents Span Over to Other Partitions in a...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 System Image Backups Will Have Partial Contents Span Over to Other Partitions in a...: Win 10 "Create System Image" from "Backup and Restore Windows 7" had been very reliable and had been successfully restored many times for my different PCs. In the past I used one drive for one system image. However, I have several PCs and different OS 32-bit and 64-bit...
  3. Multi Keyboard Problem in WIN 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multi Keyboard Problem in WIN 10: [ATTACH] I just want keep one Keyboard option only how to solve this problem ? I just installed one language pack only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multi-keyboard-problem-in-win-10/6e1208f6-a576-4295-8edf-946a8136125e
  4. System Image Backup Drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Image Backup Drives: I purchased a Toshiba 2TB external hard drive-I made a system image from that. I decided something did not feel right about the drive, the drive was an awkward looking size. I deleted the system image and returned it. I had almost 6 hours of back up on this drive and it...
  5. Win 10 Image BackUp

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Win 10 Image BackUp: Currently I'm running Win 10 on a portable HDD and would like to create an image of it but when I go to "Backup and Restore" window I get the following: This feature is not available in a portable workstation environment. 163658
  6. Win 10 Build 1809 did NOT solve the system image problem in backup!

Win 10 Build 1809 did NOT solve the system image problem in backup!: I was told 1809 would fix the issue with creating and image in backup but it didn't! Now what? Do I really have to buy some third party software to protect my system? 123422
  7. Format external backup drive for NTFS

in Windows 10 Customization
    Format external backup drive for NTFS: I purchased an external backup drive made by Verbatim. when I try to do a full system backup from Windows 10, I get the message that I can't backup to this drive because it is not formatted for NTFS. How do I format this drive for NTFS?...
  8. Image Backup - Win 10

Image Backup - Win 10: I may be the first one to do it, or maybe not. But just a reminder to everyone (who did hard installation on SSDs and HDDs). All of us here have just clean installed the Win 10 Tech Preview. If it's running okay now, before you go any further messing it up and before bugs...
  9. Can not Backup or system image, Win 10

Can not Backup or system image, Win 10: I have had win 10 on my laptop 5 months or so being upgraded from win 8, 8.1 etc. In this time I have not been able to backup to my (eSATA) external HD. I need to do some program work so I want to back up before going ahead. Before someone says use this or that backup program...
  10. Cannot Backup or system image, Win 10

Cannot Backup or system image, Win 10: I've recently upgraded 8.1 to 10. Things seemed somewhat okay but before I try to do anything with programs, etc., I want to back up and also make a system image to an external drive. This will not happen, I get error codes, 0x807800c5 and 0x80780081. I do not want to resort...