Windows 10: Win 10 - System & Reserved using up lots of space (2019)

Discus and support Win 10 - System & Reserved using up lots of space (2019) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there I read the 2016 thread (not closed) but other than following the advice of doing a new windows install to see if it resolves I could not find... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by raylogic-uk, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Win 10 - System & Reserved using up lots of space (2019)

Hi there I read the 2016 thread (not closed) but other than following the advice of doing a new windows install to see if it resolves I could not find any other help.

Following the various advice from the 2016 thread I am left with the following -

As you can see Windows Sense shows that I only have around 1.24GB (roughly the same as right clicking C drive then properties) of the 232GB available on my C drive.

One of the many things that I don't understand is why when I have selected 'View Hidden Folders & Files) and when I highlight all folders & files within C drive, then properties, windows tells me 45.5GB in use??

Potentially then I have around 186GB worth of data inaccessible or is my HDD faulty!

Any help, thanks very much.

Win 10 - System & Reserved using up lots of space (2019) bdd49dbc-872b-44f2-b7be-641af77293c8?upload=true.jpg

:)

raylogic-uk, Dec 12, 2019
  2. poolmon Win User

Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition

Thanks for all the info guys.

Both original & target SSD's are listed as MBR as opposed to UEFI. I may have created a partition unknowingly in getting the original/new unformatted drive recognized, but I don't recall taking any steps that Windows did not step me through.

Not that an upgrade to WIN 10 Pro is contemplated, but I suspect that having no System Reserved partition will not allow that to happen, after seeing how the original WIN 10 upgrade created a problem for some WIN 7 users that had a smaller 100mb vs 500mb System Reserved partition.

poolmon, Dec 12, 2019
  3. Rey Bel1 Win User
    windows 10 system and reserve taking up too much space

Hi,

Windows Restore Points does eat up tremendous amount of your disk space and clearing it would indeed help free up some space. Aside from restore points, there are other invisible factors that can eat away your hard drive space like temporary and cached files.
    For us to better understand why you keep on getting error messages about your storage space being full, we would like to ask the following questions:

• When did you first encounter the issue?
    • Which Windows version and build is you device running? Type winver on the search bar, and then press
      Enter to find out.
    • What specific error message or error code did you get?
    • Could you repost the screenshots again?

In the meantime, we suggest you check the steps provided by Greg Carmack on this

thread
    about clearing system and reserve after an upgrade and see if it helps.

We look forward to your response.

Rey Bel1, Dec 12, 2019
  4. Win 10 - System & Reserved using up lots of space (2019)

Clearing space in the System Reserved Partition

Hi Gautham,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

The issue could occur if system reserve partition is size is less.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

1. When is the current size of the System Reserved Partition? Is there is enough space in the partition?

2. Are you able to view the folders through Minitool Partition Wizard?

I suggest you to try to increase the space allocation for System Reserve Partition. The below steps can also be implemented in Windows 10 to increase the size of System Reserve Partition.

Error: We couldn’t update the system reserved partition

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Dec 12, 2019
Thema:

Win 10 - System & Reserved using up lots of space (2019)

1. Win 10 - System & Reserved using up lots of space (2019) - Similar Threads - System Reserved using

2. System & Reserved taking up 100+ GB of space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System & Reserved taking up 100+ GB of space: So I've been having this issue where my windows system and reserved space is taking up way over 100+ GB of storage on my PC which is far from normal. I've tried a few things already and gotten nowhere. I even tried using the index options method and performed a restart along...
  3. System & Reserved taking up 100+ GB of space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System & Reserved taking up 100+ GB of space: So I've been having this issue where my windows system and reserved space is taking up way over 100+ GB of storage on my PC which is far from normal. I've tried a few things already and gotten nowhere. I even tried using the index options method and performed a restart along...
  4. System>Storage>Other is using a lot of space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System>Storage>Other is using a lot of space: Can I see what is using a lot of space in system>storage>other?...like in my laptop it is showing other 8.54gb is used but doesnt show which folder is using only a few folders are showing.It is written that" THESE ARE SOME OF THE LARGEST FOLDERS WE COULDNT CHARACTERIZE. THESE...
  5. System>Storage>Other is using a lot of space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System>Storage>Other is using a lot of space: Can I see what is using a lot of space in system>storage>other?...like in my laptop it is showing other 8.54gb is used but doesnt show which folder is using only a few folders are showing.It is written that" THESE ARE SOME OF THE LARGEST FOLDERS WE COULDNT CHARACTERIZE. THESE...
  6. System and reserved taking up a lot of space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System and reserved taking up a lot of space: I'm trying to install some games on my laptop 512 GB SSD and went to check on my storage to see what I can delete. Then I realized that system and reserve is taking up 234 GB of storage. When I looked into the details, it said System files 20.1 GB, Reserved storage 7.04 GB,...
  7. System and reserved taking up a lot of space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System and reserved taking up a lot of space: I'm trying to install some games on my laptop 512 GB SSD and went to check on my storage to see what I can delete. Then I realized that system and reserve is taking up 234 GB of storage. When I looked into the details, it said System files 20.1 GB, Reserved storage 7.04 GB,...
  8. System & Reserve gobbling up all disk space

System & Reserve gobbling up all disk space: HiI am on Windows 10 Version 1809 OS Build 17758.1. My OS is installed on a 1 TB SSDI have a very strange issue. When I see all the folders, including hidden files & directories, on C drive, it totals to about 335 GB. WinDirStat confirms it.However, explorer thinks I have...
  9. System & reserved taking up over 100GB of space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System & reserved taking up over 100GB of space: My computer was warning me about having limited space left, so I checked what was taking up space on my PC and saw this [img] I saw somebody recommend TreeSize to look into what was taking up space and saw this [img] The installer folder and srudb.dat are taking up...
  10. System Recovery Uses a LOT of Disk Space

System Recovery Uses a LOT of Disk Space: I have nothing loaded onto my laptop (because there's no room!!!) yet 72.9GB (of 110) is allocated to System Recovery. When I search for answers I'm pointed toward system restore points and setting max disk space. You can see that I've set max disk space at 2% but that's...