Windows 10: Win 10 Tablet with external Drive

Discus and support Win 10 Tablet with external Drive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a Win 10 tablet with a drive that's near full just with windows. Q: Can I install software onto an external drive that will then plug into the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by elbmek, Jun 29, 2019.

1. elbmek Win User

Win 10 Tablet with external Drive

I have a Win 10 tablet with a drive that's near full just with windows.

Q: Can I install software onto an external drive that will then plug into the tablet via usb and will I be able to run it? Will may be registry problems here.

:)

elbmek, Jun 29, 2019

2. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Jun 29, 2019
  3. DonWyman Win User
    Win 10 build 10240 to Threshold 2 update problem on 16G tablet

Thanks, that is a very comprehensive list of suggestions. However, I have done almost all of the steps you've listed...except uninstalling the apps. Even if I deleted virtually all my installed apps (most were installed on the D drive anyway, except for the ones that would only install on C), it may leave just barely enough room to get to the 5G needed for the install...but then where would I be.....an operating system running on a tablet, with hardly any apps on it....an anchor! The problem with apparently no answer is WinSxS!

It seems that even though Win 10 will install and run on the small little 16G tablets, they can not be updated over a period of time as the Windows and WinSxS folder continue to grow out of bounds. Thus leaving a 16G C drive device fairly useless for any useful purpose. The only option (it appears), is to do a fresh reformat and install, with every new Win 10 upgrade down the line, thus starting with a small WinSxS each time, instead of one that balloons with every program install and software upgrade.

Any other ideas, greatly accepted....thanks all!

DonWyman, Jun 29, 2019
  4. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jun 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Win 10 Tablet with external Drive - Similar Threads - Tablet external Drive

2. Win 10 and using an external optical drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 and using an external optical drive: I have windows 10, a desktop, and when I ordered it from HP I forgot to include a CD-R OR CD-RW. I figured that just purchasing one and plugging it into a usb port would solve my issue. Initially it worked, kinda. The other day I messed up and ended up having to re-install my...
  3. Win 10 and using an external optical drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 and using an external optical drive: I have windows 10, a desktop, and when I ordered it from HP I forgot to include a CD-R OR CD-RW. I figured that just purchasing one and plugging it into a usb port would solve my issue. Initially it worked, kinda. The other day I messed up and ended up having to re-install my...
  4. Win 10 and using an external optical drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win 10 Upgrade not seeing external drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Upgrade not seeing external drives: Laptop is demanding I upgrade from 8.1 to 10. However it doesn't recognize two external drives that I attached, with each one having the available space required. Win 8.1 can see the drive in all other windows and apps. I can even run the upgrade shortcut from the...
  6. install Win 10 on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    install Win 10 on external hard drive: Hello, I wonder if there is a chance to install Win 10 on external hard drive (USB 3.0 ) I tryied win to usb but the free ver doesnt support the latest windown 10 1089 . Thanks in advance 131215
  7. install Win 10 on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    install Win 10 on external hard drive: Hello, I wonder if there is a chance to install Win 10 on external hard drive (USB 3.0 ) I tryied win to usb but the free ver doesnt support the latest windown 10 1089 . Thanks in advance 131215
  8. Using tablet as an external drive for LAPTOP

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using tablet as an external drive for LAPTOP: I have two Surface products, a Surface Go tablet and a Surface Book 2 laptop. I want to use the tablet as an external drive for my laptop. But I cannot connect them because I get an error message "cannot display protected content" and connection cannot be completed....
  9. Win 10 disconnects external drives at random

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 disconnects external drives at random: Hello all, This is my first post, hopefully to the right forum. Please help me understand what’s happening. I recently bought a new machine - Dell with Win 10 Pro. All data is stored on two external USB drives, which I will name here as N: and T:. Each drive is backed...
  10. Win 10 disconnects external drives at random

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 disconnects external drives at random: Hello all, This is my first post, hopefully to the right forum. Please help me understand what’s happening. I recently bought a new machine - Dell with Win 10 Pro. All data is stored on two external USB drives, which I will name here as N: and T:. Each drive is backed...