Windows 10: Win 10 Task Manager now only works in Admin mode

Discus and support Win 10 Task Manager now only works in Admin mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi All, I've had my Win 10 laptop for about a year and I keep it up to date. Now all of a sudden the Task Manager only works in Admin mode. I always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by m3110w, Aug 25, 2016.

1. m3110w Win User

Win 10 Task Manager now only works in Admin mode

Hi All, I've had my Win 10 laptop for about a year and I keep it up to date. Now all of a sudden the Task Manager only works in Admin mode. I always run in Standard mode and now I have to right click on Task Manager and hit Run As Admin. Otherwise it opens but doesn't run and display live data.

Any ideas why this changed? Thanks,

:)

m3110w, Aug 25, 2016

2. Flashing desktop after windows 10 install

After what appeared to be a successful upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 neither the task bar or desktop load. The screen flashes at about 1 Hz rate. Task manager is the only function that seems to be. So I'm stuck can't run anything in Win 10 OS
    including getting back previous Win 7 OS. Tried using F8 to get to safe mode without success. Does Win 10 have a safe mode?

TomClark_FS, Aug 25, 2016
  3. preang Win User
    Windows 10 update issue..

need some help here.. I have downloaded Windows 10 and tried to upgrade my system from Win 7 to Win 10 .. while upgrading is completed it re boots the system and now I don't find Windows 10 on my machine. On reboot Win 7 is started and major concern is that
    on Login of my Win 7 black screen with mouse pointer appear nothing more. It just screwed my OS. I tried to start Task manager by Ctrl+Alt+Delete but nothing happens there task manager also doesn't appear.

But when I run in safe mode Win 7 comes up no trace of Win 10. Start Normaly nothing comes up only black screen.. ny help ..

preang, Aug 25, 2016
  4. Win 10 Task Manager now only works in Admin mode

TairikuOkami, Aug 25, 2016
  5. m3110w Win User
    I downloaded Process Explorer. Process Hacker resides on SourceForge. I've heard from different sources that SourceForge bundles adware and crapware with downloads and it can be *very* difficult to avoid installing the crapware.

Is there a way to easily download apps from SourceForge without getting infected with crapware? Is there some other paid site to download Windows apps that have no bundled crapware?

Also, I had to smile when you mentioned "security reasons" and a SourceForge app in the same post. From what I've heard SourceForge has become a cesspool of insecure sneaky crapware. Do you think this is the case?

Thanks,

m3110w, Aug 26, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, Aug 26, 2016
  7. AndreTen Win User
    Adware bundling stopped about a year ago when SourceForge was bought by another company. You can always download Process Hacker from other sites, like Softpedia - they always state the real nature of applications (clear, free, ...)

If you are not comfortable with this, there is also portable version of same program on same site.

This is (just one mention) about SourceForge from How-to Geek site (look for Update thing *Wink:

AndreTen, Aug 26, 2016
  8. m3110w Win User

I've also heard bad things about MajorGeeks but I'll research them to get the latest details. Thanks!

m3110w, Aug 26, 2016
  9. m3110w Win User
    Thanks Andre, I'll also research and try to confirm that SourceForge has indeed cleaned up it's act. Good news if it is true. Thanks!

m3110w, Aug 26, 2016
  10. CountMike New Member
    Can't recall anything bad about MG, been downloading from and using as main source of SW for many years now. If there's anything bundled (rarely) or with addware, it's clearly marked in red.

CountMike, Aug 26, 2016
  11. AndreTen Win User
    You're welcome *Smile A lot of people is still mad with SF and download apps from other sites. It's good to have choice.

If you are very concerned about that, it would be good practice to use virustotal (extension for browsers) and Unchecky program.

@TairikuOkami advice is safe to follow and proved to be well informed about most security issues

AndreTen, Aug 26, 2016
  12. dmex Win User
    We stopped using Sourceforge as the primary location for Process Hacker a few years ago due to those issues :/

You can download Process Hacker via our main website:
    Overview - Process Hacker

Binaries are also available on our Github source repository:
    https://github.com/processhacker2/pr...cker2/releases

Hope it helps,

13. m3110w Win User

Hi dmex, Thanks. I'll check out wj32.org. Cheers!

m3110w, Aug 27, 2016
  14. m3110w Win User
    Also, I should say that running the Win 10 Task Manager in admin mode is not really a problem. I was just wondering why it suddenly changed (sudden changes like that can make me nervous about a possible malware infection). "For security reasons" makes sense to me. Thank you TairikuOkami for pointing that out.

Cheers!

m3110w, Aug 27, 2016
  15. AndreTen Win User
    To answer why is your Task manager under standard user limited, you have to provide some more information.

Do you own computer, or is this business laptop. If you own it, Task Manager should show details under standard user.
    Did you add or change policies in local group policy...
    Do yo run any programs that change policies (tweaks, security, etc...

Below is clip from my Task Manager under standard user and it shows all details. In details View (tab) you can chose additional columns to show if process runs under elevated user...

You should post clip of Task Manager on your laptop.

AndreTen, Aug 27, 2016
Thema:

1. Win 10 Task Manager now only works in Admin mode - Similar Threads - Task Manager works

2. Task Manager Dark Mode not working in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    Task Manager Dark Mode not working in Windows 11: [IMG]Some Windows users reported that changing the Task Manager to dark mode has no effect on its appearance. More often than not, the peculiarity is caused after an update. In this post, we will discuss this issue in detail and see what can be done if Task Manager’s Dark...
  3. Dark mode for task manager not working on windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dark mode for task manager not working on windows 11: I have dark mode enabled for my windows 11 pc. There are no updates available. Every application is in dark theme and task manager still runs in light theme. I would like my task manager to be in dark mode too. How can I do this? I've already tried every suggestion on this...
  4. Dark mode for task manager not working on windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dark mode for task manager not working on windows 11: I have dark mode enabled for my windows 11 pc. There are no updates available. Every application is in dark theme and task manager still runs in light theme. I would like my task manager to be in dark mode too. How can I do this? I've already tried every suggestion on this...
  5. Screen keeps flashing and only task manager works

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen keeps flashing and only task manager works: Hello,After the new windows 10 update, my desktop computer on startup starts flashing the screen on and off. I know that the screen is functional for a fact. The mouse does not work as the entire screen gets reset with every flash and it happens every second.The task manager...
  6. Screen keeps flashing and only task manager works

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen keeps flashing and only task manager works: Hello,After the new windows 10 update, my desktop computer on startup starts flashing the screen on and off. I know that the screen is functional for a fact. The mouse does not work as the entire screen gets reset with every flash and it happens every second.The task manager...
  7. Screen keeps flashing and only task manager works

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Can only on task manager?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can only on task manager?: I have a lenovo ideapad 320 and the following problem: My laptop starts normally, after that nothing can be clicked only by a combination of keys to open the Task Manager. In this time bios was updated, i could also access device manager (through task manager), that means i...
  9. Win 10 Task Manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 10 Task Manager: Since upgrading to Win-10 I can no longer see, in the Task Manager, what specific Excel sheets my numerous Excel sessions cover. In previous windows versions, if you had several Excel sessions (or other programs) open, then you would be able to see the name of the sheet...
  10. Cannot run any programs in admin mode and cannot open task manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot run any programs in admin mode and cannot open task manager: Hi. I have a PC with Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit installed. (Ver. 10.0.17134) Ever since a forceful shutdown due to a freeze, I have been experiencing the following issues: Any program that I try to run on admin mode gives the error:"Windows cannot find...