Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling

Discus and support Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; I see a lot of excitement over Win 10 with some actually using it as their main OS. I installed it in a VM the first day is was available and have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by strollin, Oct 15, 2014.

1. strollin Win User

I see a lot of excitement over Win 10 with some actually using it as their main OS. I installed it in a VM the first day is was available and have played with it quite a bit. It's definitely interesting but I'm not chomping at the bit to upgrade to it.

The main thing that everyone seems to like is the Start Menu. I stopped using the Start Menu back in Win 2000 when I discovered Toolbars. The combination of Toolbars and the ability for me to pin my oft used programs to the Taskbar has made the Start Menu redundant for me which is why I didn't miss it in Win 8. I don't use anything like Classic Shell in Win 8 because I never saw the need.

Another thing that people seem to like is Windowed MUI apps. It's interesting that MUI apps can be resized and all but the fact is that I don't use MUI apps on my desktop where running them windowed might make sense. I only run MUI apps on my Win 8 tablet where the screen is small enough that running them Windowed doesn't make sense and I really only want to run them full screen.

Virtual desktops sounds interesting but I would need to rethink how I currently do things in order to make use of them.

Continuum and Cortana seem like they'd be worth a look at when they're delivered but I'm not that interested in either of those features.

To me, it looks like W10 is capable and usable to the point where I would use it if it came installed on a machine I bought or if I wanted to buy an OS to install on a machine I was building but (just like with W8) I don't see anything compelling in there that will make me want to upgrade my existing W7 or W8 machines to W10 when it's released.

:)

strollin, Oct 15, 2014
  2. matthewmartinsen Win User

i think i messed up

I was a silly one and completely got rid of my win 8.1 and for the life of me cant find the key. I reserved my copy of win 10 then I decided I wanted it now so I got the tech preview. so my question is am I now forever bound to the tech preview and have
    to buy win 8.1/10 again to get the final release and for it to no longer be a tech preview

matthewmartinsen, Oct 15, 2014
  3. WindowsOS Win User
    i think i messed up

Even when you get the new release on July 29th you will be on the Tech Preview forever unless you Buy a Windows 10 License. Windows 10 Insiders are not going to get Windows 10 for free as such! If you want to keep using it you Must stay in the Windows
    Insider Program.

WindowsOS, Oct 15, 2014
  4. alphanumeric New Member

It was a step back for me. The 2 Metro Apps that I use can't be resized small enough in Windows 10, to be snapped side by side on my 19 inch screen. It's easily doable in Windows 8.1 though.

alphanumeric, Oct 15, 2014
  5. Tony K Win User
    I can't get 4 apps in an equal quadrant. Hopefully they'll get it worked out.

Tony K, Oct 15, 2014
  6. Edwin New Member
    Me neither!

I see they kept the 'Slide To Shutdown' feature for desktops!

I actually like it, it's quick, handy and fun! *Biggrin

[​IMG]

Edwin, Oct 15, 2014
  7. lehnerus2000 Win User
    Don't the Apps still use WinRT snapping like in the W8 series?

lehnerus2000, Oct 15, 2014
  8. alphanumeric New Member

No, I don't think so. In 8.1 just moving them to one side of the screen offers up the 1/3 or 1/2 snap. Now they don't. They now have a fixed minimum size that is bigger than half screen so they won't snap at all. I can now snap desktop programs in quadrants though. Not what I wanted though.

alphanumeric, Oct 15, 2014
  9. Tony K Win User
    I didn't notice that one. That's just like WP8. However one of the first things I tried was holding the WinKey > Period key > Down arrow > Release WinKey to no avail.

Tony K, Oct 15, 2014
  10. strollin Win User
    I don't use MUI apps on my desktop so don't care how many apps I can get on the screen at one time. When I'm on my tablet I use MUI apps and prefer them to be full screen there.

strollin, Oct 15, 2014
  11. Tony K Win User
    Well then I'm really happy for you, strollin. *Thumbs

Tony K, Oct 15, 2014
  12. strollin Win User
    And I'm happy for you as well! *Biggrin

strollin, Oct 15, 2014
  13. lehnerus2000 Win User

Maybe that will appear with other touch features in the next "milestone" preview.

lehnerus2000, Oct 15, 2014
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi folks

This OS was primarily designed to address the concerns of ("Non Touch") classical keyboard and Mouse desktop users who usually don't bother with those Metro thingy's anyway so as a first pass I think if you are a desktop user then it works very well.

Touch users will be given I'm sure another preview before W10 makes final release -- there could even be several iterations.

Remember this preview was done to address the concerns of a large number of W7 (and XP) users who Ms does want to get to upgrade. Going from W7 to W10 (desktop model) or even XP to W10 is not much of a leap - most users could do it without batting an eyelid.

W8 (initially) was a whole new ballgame. W8.1 was streets better but still required a learning curve. I think W10 is a great compromise -- you can do stuff the OLD way but you can (when they get Touch and the metro thingy's working properly) also learn new (and possibly better) ways of working too.

A win win situation.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 15, 2014
  15. Mooly Win User
    As a mouse and keyboard user I can't really "feel" any major differences between 8.1 and 10. By and large the user experience is the same.

Mooly, Oct 15, 2014
Thema:

Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling - Similar Threads - Win Tech Preview

Forum Date

Asking for Password that Doesn't Exist after Win 10 Update

Asking for Password that Doesn't Exist after Win 10 Update: After Win 10/Win Defender Update, 2016 Dell 7000 laptop it is requiring a password that doesn't exist! Again there was never a password, but it gives a hint of "Yr"! Have tried every date I could think of w/no luck! Have been in Win forums and support pages using primary Win...
Windows 10 Updates and Activation Today at 3:02 AM

Will my Win 10 install now still be licensed after r revert to W7

Will my Win 10 install now still be licensed after r revert to W7: A long while back, when Win 10 first was released and the GWX nagware was prevalent, I was running Win 7 Pro 64 and I decided to try the new Win 10 to see how I liked it. So I got the free upgrade version to Win 10 Pro and installed it on my PC and ran it for several days. As...
Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade Yesterday at 7:14 PM

Win 10 1607 mouse(touchpad) lag

Win 10 1607 mouse(touchpad) lag: I updated my windows from 1511 to 1607 and my laptop's touchpad is lagging.Can anyone help? I tried to disabling and enabling drivers but now worked The mouse works perfectly when I play some video or music in background *Sad 112399
Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware Yesterday at 5:23 AM

Is it possible to bring back a Win 10 bootable HDD without formatting?

Is it possible to bring back a Win 10 bootable HDD without formatting?: Hello! I had to change laptops and swapped their hard drives and because of this, I had to install win 10 again using a bootable usb drive. Unfortunately, I didn't have any usb drive with a decent size and I had to use my external hard drive (where I had some tv shows...
Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware Saturday at 2:44 PM

Hyper-V in Win 10 Tech Preview, first impression: Nice!!!

Hyper-V in Win 10 Tech Preview, first impression: Nice!!!: I decided to install Windows 10 as main OS on an HP Envy 17 laptop as soon as it would be possible to download the Tech Preview. Just after 20:00 (8 PM) last night my time (CEST), 1st of October, it was done. Two optional updates, then adding features and enabling Hyper-V....
Windows 10 Virtualization Oct 1, 2014

I cannot update win 10 tech pr from 9926 to 10041 error 0xc1900200

I cannot update win 10 tech pr from 9926 to 10041 error 0xc1900200: I’ve installed 9929 version by ISO image... In my pc it runs wonderfully and I’m really happy with it. Yesterday I tried to update it by windows update service to the newer 100041 but I received back this message after the installations stopped at 9%: “Couldn’t install...
Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade Mar 18, 2015

win 10 - tech says dont yet

win 10 - tech says dont yet: i am currently having my pc checked over by a support company, down the tubes, in an regular checkover. We were talking about 10. He said dont put it in yet. He is getting reports of pc's crashing and refusal to run drivers and other mishaps. He said to leave it for about 3...
Windows 10 Support Jul 30, 2015
Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling solved