Windows 10: Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling

Discus and support Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I see a lot of excitement over Win 10 with some actually using it as their main OS. I installed it in a VM the first day is was available and have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by strollin, Oct 14, 2014.

1. strollin Win User

Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling

I see a lot of excitement over Win 10 with some actually using it as their main OS. I installed it in a VM the first day is was available and have played with it quite a bit. It's definitely interesting but I'm not chomping at the bit to upgrade to it.

The main thing that everyone seems to like is the Start Menu. I stopped using the Start Menu back in Win 2000 when I discovered Toolbars. The combination of Toolbars and the ability for me to pin my oft used programs to the Taskbar has made the Start Menu redundant for me which is why I didn't miss it in Win 8. I don't use anything like Classic Shell in Win 8 because I never saw the need.

Another thing that people seem to like is Windowed MUI apps. It's interesting that MUI apps can be resized and all but the fact is that I don't use MUI apps on my desktop where running them windowed might make sense. I only run MUI apps on my Win 8 tablet where the screen is small enough that running them Windowed doesn't make sense and I really only want to run them full screen.

Virtual desktops sounds interesting but I would need to rethink how I currently do things in order to make use of them.

Continuum and Cortana seem like they'd be worth a look at when they're delivered but I'm not that interested in either of those features.

To me, it looks like W10 is capable and usable to the point where I would use it if it came installed on a machine I bought or if I wanted to buy an OS to install on a machine I was building but (just like with W8) I don't see anything compelling in there that will make me want to upgrade my existing W7 or W8 machines to W10 when it's released.

:)

strollin, Oct 14, 2014

2. i think i messed up

I was a silly one and completely got rid of my win 8.1 and for the life of me cant find the key. I reserved my copy of win 10 then I decided I wanted it now so I got the tech preview. so my question is am I now forever bound to the tech preview and have
    to buy win 8.1/10 again to get the final release and for it to no longer be a tech preview

matthewmartinsen, Oct 14, 2014
  3. WindowsOS Win User
    i think i messed up

Even when you get the new release on July 29th you will be on the Tech Preview forever unless you Buy a Windows 10 License. Windows 10 Insiders are not going to get Windows 10 for free as such! If you want to keep using it you Must stay in the Windows
    Insider Program.

WindowsOS, Oct 14, 2014
  4. Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling

It was a step back for me. The 2 Metro Apps that I use can't be resized small enough in Windows 10, to be snapped side by side on my 19 inch screen. It's easily doable in Windows 8.1 though.

alphanumeric, Oct 15, 2014
  5. Tony K Win User
    I can't get 4 apps in an equal quadrant. Hopefully they'll get it worked out.

Tony K, Oct 15, 2014
  6. Edwin New Member
    Me neither!

I see they kept the 'Slide To Shutdown' feature for desktops!

I actually like it, it's quick, handy and fun! *Biggrin

Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling [​IMG]

Edwin, Oct 15, 2014
  7. Don't the Apps still use WinRT snapping like in the W8 series?

lehnerus2000, Oct 15, 2014
  8. Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling

No, I don't think so. In 8.1 just moving them to one side of the screen offers up the 1/3 or 1/2 snap. Now they don't. They now have a fixed minimum size that is bigger than half screen so they won't snap at all. I can now snap desktop programs in quadrants though. Not what I wanted though.

alphanumeric, Oct 15, 2014
  9. Tony K Win User
    I didn't notice that one. That's just like WP8. However one of the first things I tried was holding the WinKey > Period key > Down arrow > Release WinKey to no avail.

Tony K, Oct 15, 2014
  10. strollin Win User
    I don't use MUI apps on my desktop so don't care how many apps I can get on the screen at one time. When I'm on my tablet I use MUI apps and prefer them to be full screen there.

strollin, Oct 15, 2014
  11. Tony K Win User
    Well then I'm really happy for you, strollin. *Thumbs

Tony K, Oct 15, 2014
  12. strollin Win User
    And I'm happy for you as well! *Biggrin

strollin, Oct 15, 2014
  13. Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling

Maybe that will appear with other touch features in the next "milestone" preview.

lehnerus2000, Oct 15, 2014
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi folks

This OS was primarily designed to address the concerns of ("Non Touch") classical keyboard and Mouse desktop users who usually don't bother with those Metro thingy's anyway so as a first pass I think if you are a desktop user then it works very well.

Touch users will be given I'm sure another preview before W10 makes final release -- there could even be several iterations.

Remember this preview was done to address the concerns of a large number of W7 (and XP) users who Ms does want to get to upgrade. Going from W7 to W10 (desktop model) or even XP to W10 is not much of a leap - most users could do it without batting an eyelid.

W8 (initially) was a whole new ballgame. W8.1 was streets better but still required a learning curve. I think W10 is a great compromise -- you can do stuff the OLD way but you can (when they get Touch and the metro thingy's working properly) also learn new (and possibly better) ways of working too.

A win win situation.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 15, 2014
  15. Mooly Win User
    As a mouse and keyboard user I can't really "feel" any major differences between 8.1 and 10. By and large the user experience is the same.

Mooly, Oct 15, 2014
Thema:

Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling

1. Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling - Similar Threads - Tech Preview interesting

2. Hyper-V in Win 10 Tech Preview, first impression: Nice!!!

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V in Win 10 Tech Preview, first impression: Nice!!!: I decided to install Windows 10 as main OS on an HP Envy 17 laptop as soon as it would be possible to download the Tech Preview. Just after 20:00 (8 PM) last night my time (CEST), 1st of October, it was done. Two optional updates, then adding features and enabling Hyper-V....
  3. Start8 on Windows Tech Preview

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start8 on Windows Tech Preview: Well I just wanted to see what would happen if I installed Start8 on Windows 10, and it is great. I have my old windows 7 menu back and can switch back and forth to Start screen easily. With Brinks little trick about no logging to switch, I can even switch between the new...
  4. MSAHCI in the new tech preview?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MSAHCI in the new tech preview?: I noticed a little difference in the controller after checking my SSD last night, this is on my laptop in my specs (Other info) This was a clean install of Win 7, [img] It automatically used msahci during install. This was a clean install of the Tech preview,...
  5. Windows 10 RSAT Tech Preview...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 RSAT Tech Preview...: It appears this latest build has broken the Windows 10 RSAT eval. I get errors when installing. 2919
  6. stop tech preview updating

in Windows 10 Support
    stop tech preview updating: hi all is it possible to stop the tech preview from updating itself to the latest release 9860 is usable for me as i run mediaportal and it is stable in 9860 9879 is unusable as mediaportal bluescreens as soon as it is opened i go back to 9860 and then in the morning...
  7. Installing 10 tech preview

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing 10 tech preview: How Do I install the 10 tech preview onto the separate partition that i just created using the windows update install for tech preview 10? 3722
  8. Windows 10 Tech Preview Tips

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Tech Preview Tips: I have Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on my Laptop, and 8.1 x64 on our desktop. Any tips on what I should do? I don't have a USB drive or a backup CD. Should I not install it? 2389
  9. Update for Windows Tech Preview

in Windows 10 News
    Update for Windows Tech Preview: October 2014 update for Windows Tech Preview and Windows Server Tech Preview [kb3001512] Issues that are fixed in this updateIn Windows Technical Preview, certain devices do not receive firmware or driver updates. Adobe Flash update does not contain premium video...
  10. Tech Preview Updates Today

in Windows 10 News
    Tech Preview Updates Today: So, does anyone know what they did? As usual, no MS info @support... [img]