Windows 10: Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling

Discus and support Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am still no convinced MS are going to bring much back when they release the consumer preview with more touch features added (though I would like to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by strollin, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling

I am still no convinced MS are going to bring much back when they release the consumer preview with more touch features added (though I would like to be proven wrong)
    They have made a big thing of telling people that they are removing the features of 8 that the majority hated

What about the minority of people who like these features, used with a mouse

It just looks to me like if you are a mouse/keyboard user then you can only have the desktop side of things, you want anything else then stick with 8 (same as they did for 7 users when 8 came out)

paulsalter, Oct 15, 2014
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

For "Non computer Geeks" working every day in an office with Windows 7 (or even Windows XP) the whole navigation stuff on Windows 8 was nightmare -- with the charms stuff and all sorts of "effects" if they pointed their mouse at the screen.

It's easy enough - especially with W8.1 to learn to handle it - but in the main we are talking about non technical people who just want to switch on a machine and start working. They don't want all sorts of things popping up whenever they move the mouse to the edge of the screen and they usually want a start menu.

So for THEM W10 has fixed it properly.

Users on these boards are much more technical (or at least we have to assume so) and therefore it's not too much of a big deal to switch from W8.1 (especially) or even W8 to W10.

For a large proportion of "Joe Public" however W8 was a change to far. This puts it back again into decent AND FAMILIAR useability.
    @paulsalter - THIS preview was rushed out for DESKTOP users to show them that W10 could still be used in the same way the've always used Windows.

Ms has clearly stated they want W10 to be useable both for Mobile/ Touch AND desktops so I'm 100% certain that there will be either updates or new builds coming out which will add the W8 features back that some people want.

Ms had to bring W10 out QUICKLY otherwise W7 will become as someone put it "The new XP" where nobody would bother to update for YEARS if ever. Ms also wants to be in a position where it doesn't have to maintain a whole slew of different OS'es for ages and ages.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 15, 2014
  3. I agree on your thinking

But why do we need to have a distinction between mobile/touch and desktop, cant people decide what is best (or default to the best and let it be changed if people want)

For me I like the look of the 'Touch' options, Charms Bar, App switcher at top left, full screen apps

I don't want my computer to work differently if I use the mouse to if I use the touch screen, I want a unified experience, the same results whichever option I chose

paulsalter, Oct 15, 2014
  4. Trust_No1 Win User

Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling

Well, I don't think Windows 10 has really fixed anything. Desktop wise I feel the menu is horrible, no separation of Legacy and Metro apps, you are unable to change text size, unable to arrange them, etc.. I am not at all happy how the tiles behave, nor am I fond of the overall aesthetics of it.

Yes, it is Windows with a menu, just not a very nice one. I like almost everything else about it, but would be much happier with a Win 7 menu and able to switch to Metro as in Windows 8.

And I am really confused as to why the taskbar is transparent but the menu itself is not, I don't understand the reasoning in that? Maybe future versions will address all these things.

An after thought:
    I think it would be great if they had a Windows 7 Menu, with a toggle that opened and closed the tile menu. That would be sweet.

Trust_No1, Oct 15, 2014
  5. I don't really like the see-through Taskbar either (I prefer solid colour for that GUI element).

lehnerus2000, Oct 15, 2014
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

That's the whole point of the technical feedback so Ms can "adjust" things before release - they'd be better though at reading these forums than trawling through 100,000's of email etc.

I'm sure the menu will be customisable and a load of other improvements too -- Ms HAVE to get this one right.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 15, 2014
  7. *Ditto I would really like to be able to turn the transparency OFF.

alphanumeric, Oct 15, 2014
  8. Mooly Win User

I can't say I ever really tried 8 in any depth (driver issues BSOD etc) but 8.1 is terrific. Appreciate what you say about an office/workplace environment where functionality is paramount. One of the better features of W10 for me is the way in which the snipping tool works on pdf's. On 8.1 it was a bit messy.

Mooly, Oct 15, 2014
  9. Mystere Win User
    Some people simply won't be happy with Windows as long as there is any vestige of a touch interface present in the OS (whether or not it's something they can disable or not even see, they somehow "know" it's there, and it eats at their soul).

This is the Princess and the Pea syndrome. Just the idea that the OS might have something they don't want is galling... nevermind the fact that Windows has had stuff they didn't use since it was first created. Microsoft could take all the metro stuff out completely, but tell people it's still there and the complaints would still come in about how terrible it is.

Mystere, Oct 15, 2014
  10. Trust_No1 Win User
    Your optimism in MS is far greater than mine, I think they fool people into thinking their feedback is valuable, but in the end, really just ignore it.

I also think that if they are going with this unified Windows approach, that they have already decided that this is how it will be, and minor changes will only come about.

Trust_No1, Oct 15, 2014
  11. Best idea you have had. Make Metro stuff uninstalable in add remove features in OS set up. Windows needs to have a desktop mode and a tablet mode. What we need are choices to keep everyone happy. Simple as that.

Indianatone, Oct 16, 2014
  12. There probably also needs to be an "Auto" mode for people who have those convertible/hybrid machines.

That should "cover all bases". *Smile

lehnerus2000, Oct 16, 2014
  13. Edwin New Member

Edwin, Oct 16, 2014
  14. The Start Menu is a good step towards putting back some of the stuff Microsoft removed. Even if I hardly ever go there to find that obscure thing I need once in a while, at least it's there for when I do.
    BUT instead of removing the needless complexity of the Windows 7 Start Menu, and reverting to the XP style, nice and simple, the Windows 10 version has the 'all apps' area and doesn't cascade.
    That makes it extremely vertical, and scrolling up and down will, I think, be a nuisance if one needs to drill down a few levels. At some point users are going to say, Isn't there a better way, like if the subfolders opened up at the side...

markweatherill, Oct 16, 2014
  15. Normally I don't like running third party programs like that, but I think I'll give this one a try, thanks for the link. *Thumbs < wish we had the little thumb's up smiley, I like it better.

alphanumeric, Oct 16, 2014
Thema:

1. Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling - Similar Threads - Tech Preview interesting

2. Hyper-V in Win 10 Tech Preview, first impression: Nice!!!

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V in Win 10 Tech Preview, first impression: Nice!!!: I decided to install Windows 10 as main OS on an HP Envy 17 laptop as soon as it would be possible to download the Tech Preview. Just after 20:00 (8 PM) last night my time (CEST), 1st of October, it was done. Two optional updates, then adding features and enabling Hyper-V....
  3. Start8 on Windows Tech Preview

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start8 on Windows Tech Preview: Well I just wanted to see what would happen if I installed Start8 on Windows 10, and it is great. I have my old windows 7 menu back and can switch back and forth to Start screen easily. With Brinks little trick about no logging to switch, I can even switch between the new...
  4. MSAHCI in the new tech preview?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MSAHCI in the new tech preview?: I noticed a little difference in the controller after checking my SSD last night, this is on my laptop in my specs (Other info) This was a clean install of Win 7, [img] It automatically used msahci during install. This was a clean install of the Tech preview,...
  5. Windows 10 RSAT Tech Preview...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 RSAT Tech Preview...: It appears this latest build has broken the Windows 10 RSAT eval. I get errors when installing. 2919
  6. stop tech preview updating

in Windows 10 Support
    stop tech preview updating: hi all is it possible to stop the tech preview from updating itself to the latest release 9860 is usable for me as i run mediaportal and it is stable in 9860 9879 is unusable as mediaportal bluescreens as soon as it is opened i go back to 9860 and then in the morning...
  7. Installing 10 tech preview

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing 10 tech preview: How Do I install the 10 tech preview onto the separate partition that i just created using the windows update install for tech preview 10? 3722
  8. Windows 10 Tech Preview Tips

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Tech Preview Tips: I have Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on my Laptop, and 8.1 x64 on our desktop. Any tips on what I should do? I don't have a USB drive or a backup CD. Should I not install it? 2389
  9. Update for Windows Tech Preview

in Windows 10 News
    Update for Windows Tech Preview: October 2014 update for Windows Tech Preview and Windows Server Tech Preview [kb3001512] Issues that are fixed in this updateIn Windows Technical Preview, certain devices do not receive firmware or driver updates. Adobe Flash update does not contain premium video...
  10. Tech Preview Updates Today

in Windows 10 News
    Tech Preview Updates Today: So, does anyone know what they did? As usual, no MS info @support... [img]