Windows 10: Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling

Discus and support Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Thanks for the posts concerning touch, guys. *Smile Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by strollin, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Tony K Win User

Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling

Thanks for the posts concerning touch, guys. *Smile

Tony K, Oct 20, 2014

2. I've just switched my desktop back to W8.1 from the Tech Preview. Not because I don't overall like what I see, but because some software is a little hinky though it all works after a fashion. And because modern apps in a window at this point just aren't right yet.

The worst offender is NewsgroupsRT which is a Usenet client. I spend a fair amount of time on Usenet so this is a biggie for me. When typing in it, when the line wraps the cursor goes to the top of the message. Irritating as hell.

Nothing I've seen so far with W10 indicates to me that MS isn't on the right track with W10, it's just not quite ready for touch and modern ui apps yet.

lparsons21, Oct 20, 2014
  3. Continuum

[youtube]F_O-LrGL-YQ[/youtube]

gregrocker, Oct 20, 2014
  4. Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling

Thanks gregrocker. *Smile

lehnerus2000, Oct 20, 2014
  5. Do keep in mind Windows 10 is build 6.4.98xx, Windows 8.1 is build 6.3.9600. VERY little is actually changed so far in preliminary builds such as these. A lot of system files are very much the same, even the imageres.dll doesn't have anything actually new in it.

Coke Robot, Oct 20, 2014
  6. Ugh! I wish they'd make Hyper-V more advanced than what it is now. I still end up going back to VMWare because they know how to virtualize software. It seems weird VMs run as separate PCs on a networks, to me at least.

Coke Robot, Oct 20, 2014
  7. Mystere Win User
    What exactly do you mean? How is that any different from VMWare?

Mystere, Oct 20, 2014
  8. Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling

Thanks for the video on Continuum, this is something I am looking forward to seeing

I hope there is a lot more to come and it works a bit more like Win 8 when its finished, the video just looks like a full screen app running on the desktop

paulsalter, Oct 20, 2014
  9. Lebon14 Win User
    Pure gold. Absolutely fantastic.

For me, there is two things I can't work my head around:
    1. Virtual desktop. They aren't really in their own world. One misclick and you are back to the previous desktop.
    2. Unable to clean Start Menu "All Apps" easily.

Lebon14, Oct 20, 2014
  10. Edwin New Member
    Tidy Up the Start Menu or Screen - 000's library
    (Note: In the video, when you 'hide' Modern apps in a folder, you will be unable to invoke an instance of them, even from the 'hidden' folder, unlike a native application.

Edwin, Oct 20, 2014
  11. Tony K Win User
    Very well done, Edwin! *Thumbs

Tony K, Oct 20, 2014
  12. Edwin New Member
    Thanks Tony, couple minor hitches but with this Preview I thought 'what the hey'?
    One thing I forgot to put in the vid is that you can't invoke an instance of a Modern App while they're in a hidden folder from the hidden folder like you can with a native app.

Edwin, Oct 20, 2014
  13. Tony K Win User

You're welcome. *Smile

Then you may want to edit your post number 68 above and mention that. If you post the vid link in the future simply mention it again.

Tony K, Oct 20, 2014
  14. Edwin New Member
    Done! (I may just redo the video.) Thanks again.

Edwin, Oct 20, 2014
  15. What exactly do you mean? How is that any different from VMWare? VMWare Workstation runs the VM in it's own little container in its own virtual system without using any network switches or running the VMs as if they're on a whole intranet so to say. It's easier to virtualize and maintain a VM than it is with Hyper-V where it's like a whole different PC running alongside the host. That doesn't really make sense, but when you use the two, you know the difference. Being able to drag and drop files and programs into a VM is MUCH easier than trying to do the same with Hyper-V. It's more advanced for sure.

Basically, VMWare knows how to virtualize software quite nicely. The Hyper-V setup in Windows seems very clunky to use. Honestly, I've never been able to get Windows 7 or 8 installed in Hyper-V and have everything work as nicely as it does in VMWare even when following everything to the T. Display drivers don't install, audio isn't there, etc.

Coke Robot, Oct 21, 2014
Thema:

1. Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling - Similar Threads - Tech Preview interesting

2. Hyper-V in Win 10 Tech Preview, first impression: Nice!!!

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V in Win 10 Tech Preview, first impression: Nice!!!: I decided to install Windows 10 as main OS on an HP Envy 17 laptop as soon as it would be possible to download the Tech Preview. Just after 20:00 (8 PM) last night my time (CEST), 1st of October, it was done. Two optional updates, then adding features and enabling Hyper-V....
  3. Start8 on Windows Tech Preview

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start8 on Windows Tech Preview: Well I just wanted to see what would happen if I installed Start8 on Windows 10, and it is great. I have my old windows 7 menu back and can switch back and forth to Start screen easily. With Brinks little trick about no logging to switch, I can even switch between the new...
  4. MSAHCI in the new tech preview?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MSAHCI in the new tech preview?: I noticed a little difference in the controller after checking my SSD last night, this is on my laptop in my specs (Other info) This was a clean install of Win 7, [img] It automatically used msahci during install. This was a clean install of the Tech preview,...
  5. Windows 10 RSAT Tech Preview...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 RSAT Tech Preview...: It appears this latest build has broken the Windows 10 RSAT eval. I get errors when installing. 2919
  6. stop tech preview updating

in Windows 10 Support
    stop tech preview updating: hi all is it possible to stop the tech preview from updating itself to the latest release 9860 is usable for me as i run mediaportal and it is stable in 9860 9879 is unusable as mediaportal bluescreens as soon as it is opened i go back to 9860 and then in the morning...
  7. Installing 10 tech preview

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing 10 tech preview: How Do I install the 10 tech preview onto the separate partition that i just created using the windows update install for tech preview 10? 3722
  8. Windows 10 Tech Preview Tips

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Tech Preview Tips: I have Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on my Laptop, and 8.1 x64 on our desktop. Any tips on what I should do? I don't have a USB drive or a backup CD. Should I not install it? 2389
  9. Update for Windows Tech Preview

in Windows 10 News
    Update for Windows Tech Preview: October 2014 update for Windows Tech Preview and Windows Server Tech Preview [kb3001512] Issues that are fixed in this updateIn Windows Technical Preview, certain devices do not receive firmware or driver updates. Adobe Flash update does not contain premium video...
  10. Tech Preview Updates Today

in Windows 10 News
    Tech Preview Updates Today: So, does anyone know what they did? As usual, no MS info @support... [img]