Windows 10: Win. 10 Unable to Edit Properties of Mp3 files

Discus and support Win. 10 Unable to Edit Properties of Mp3 files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I run windows 10 and use Windows Media Player to listen to my music. Recently I noticed that i was getting a lot of "unknown (artist, genre, album,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Austen, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Austen Win User

Win. 10 Unable to Edit Properties of Mp3 files

I run windows 10 and use Windows Media Player to listen to my music. Recently I noticed that i was getting a lot of "unknown (artist, genre, album, ect.)". Usually kept the song names as the file name.

In Media Player I can edit the info so that it shows properly in the Media Player, but the file properties get deleted. Just to clarify, I can right click on the mp3 files in my music folder and edit the properties, but when i click "apply" or "ok" it deletes the details I just added and returns the song to "unknown artist".

This becomes a problem to now when i try to put the music on my phone, half my library is under "Unknown Artist"

Any help would be appreciated. Thank You!

:)

Austen, Feb 10, 2018

2. Win 10 batch edit mp3 properties erases data

Hi,

Windows 10 supports changing MP3 information. This issue occurs if the there are settings that need to be configured. To resolve your concern, follow the steps below:

• First, right-click the MP3 file which you want to edit.
    • Select Properties.
    • Click on Details tab.
    • Edit the file information of whichever you want.
    • Lastly, click on Apply, then Ok.
    Disclaimer: Try this in a single file first, then, check if it works.

If the issue still persists, we suggest the following solutions:

• Temporarily disable the security software and check if this helps.
    Disclaimer: Enable the antivirus as soon as you're done. Your computer is vulnerable to virus attacks specially if you're connected to the Internet

• Boot the computer in safe mode and check if this helps to edit the mp3 details. Refer to this
      link on how to
      Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10.

Let us know the status of the issue in this regards. Your reply is important to assist you better.

Marvelos Reg, Feb 10, 2018
  3. chichi432 Win User
    Win 10 batch edit mp3 properties erases data

I own over 2000 mp3 songs. Trying to re-group by genre. Using file explorer/select group of mp3/right click/properties/enter new genre name. When I press either OK or Apply, it ERASES ALL DATA, even the song title and album art. Only thing remaining is
    the file name.

This does not happen all the time, just whenever it feels like it. This is a HUGE problem!! Note: I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10.

Is there a fix? Or an explaination? Or a program I can use for batch editing?

chichi432, Feb 10, 2018
  4. spunk Win User

Right click the MP3 file in File Explorer and choose Properties, make sure Read Only is Unchecked. If you unchecked it, then save it and close it an reopen it. the Read Only box should remain unchecked. Now go to the Details tab, here you can edit the tags, to the Title of the file, Contributing Artist, Album Name, Year and Track # etc
    If this fails, then try a 3rd party MP3 tagger: Best Free MP3 Tag Editor | Gizmo's Freeware

spunk, Feb 11, 2018
  5. W10 may still have issues with ID3v2.4 tags.

Have a look at this thread:
    Is Windows 10's File Explorer able to read ID3 v2.4 tags on MP3s? (Post#7)

lehnerus2000, Feb 11, 2018
  6. Steve C Win User
    I've recently been sorting out / debugging MP3 metadata to play files in my car and found the following MP3 utilities useful:

TagScanner
    MP3Test
    MP3Tag
    MP3 Diags

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win. 10 Unable to Edit Properties of Mp3 files - Similar Threads - Unable Edit Properties

2. Problem editing properties of .mp3 files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem editing properties of .mp3 files: I have a bunch of .mp3 files from various sources downloads, ripped from CDs, vinyl, etc. Some do not have the Album Artist field filled in, but have Title, Contributing Artist, Album, Genre & Year. If I go to Properties>Details and type in the Album Artist then click OK, all...
  3. Problem editing properties of .mp3 files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem editing properties of .mp3 files: I have a bunch of .mp3 files from various sources downloads, ripped from CDs, vinyl, etc. Some do not have the Album Artist field filled in, but have Title, Contributing Artist, Album, Genre & Year. If I go to Properties>Details and type in the Album Artist then click OK, all...
  4. Editing file properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Editing file properties: Some years ago I found a utility that enabled bulk editing of just about all file properties: extracting parts of entries, adding parts, renumbering files. Then I lost it. Does anyone recall anything? I have searched the web for such utilities but so far I've not found any...
  5. Editing file properties

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Editing file properties: Some years ago I found a utility that enabled bulk editing of just about all file properties: extracting parts of entries, adding parts, renumbering files. Then I lost it. Does anyone recall anything? I have searched the web for such utilities but so far I've not found any...
  6. Editing file properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Editing MP3 Properties

Editing MP3 Properties: When editing a File Name in an MP3 file, the system deletes the Title property. When editing any property in a group of files, the system deletes all Title values. This is a new problem since the last update. I have over nearly 200,000 MP3 files and have been editing...
  8. MP3 file property details

MP3 file property details: When I update mp3 properties details contributing artist, a drop down window appears with artist names. How do I add artist to this list? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mp3-file-property-details/16ba24b3-cbf1-48b6-864c-c88c978712bc"
  9. Editing File Properties

Editing File Properties: I'm trying to edit the file properties of an mp3 file already has some info typed in to some fields, but whenever I try to add a field or edit a field and hit apply it doesn't save the new changes, and also deletes everything that was already there. This is really...
  10. Losing all metadata when editing a single property on an MP3 file

in Windows 10 Support
    Losing all metadata when editing a single property on an MP3 file: Hi All, I've downloaded an album, and I'm trying to edit the title tag of each file, however as soon as I edit it and click apply, the file is losing all of its metadata (title, artist, album etc.) To edit the title, I'm just right clicking on the file > Properties >...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to categorise a group of mp3 files in windows

2. unable to edit mp3 properties

3. windows unable to edit file properties