Windows 10: Win 10 Update Destroyed My Settings - Why?

Discus and support Win 10 Update Destroyed My Settings - Why? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I bought a new PC several months ago and decided to do the free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10. No problem on that. Yesterday I got a Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by win10user1023, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Win 10 Update Destroyed My Settings - Why?

Hello,

I bought a new PC several months ago and decided to do the free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10. No problem on that.

Yesterday I got a Win 10 notification that some important updates were needed, so I clicked OK (or Submit) . The following day a lot of rather undesirable changes had taken place. Font sizes had changed on various screens, for example. It took me quite a while to create my original settings and then install them the way I wanted them. Now it seems that those settings have been neutralized.

Can someone tell me why this happened? Has someone else experienced this? I am very irritated by this. Is there some way to prevent this from happening in the future?

Many thanks.

:)

win10user1023, Sep 26, 2016
  2. maciejsej Win User

Lost internet access, after latest update of WIN 10 patch dated 27.06

After latest update of WIN 10, patch dated 27.06 I have lost internet access via my wireless adapter. The connection is set as established but there is no internet.

This is second time in a row when the new patch destroyed my Wi-Fi connection.

Original title: Wi-Fi for WIN 10

maciejsej, Sep 26, 2016
  3. PatrickG1 Win User
    windows activation key

dont update this **** win 10 it will destroy all your system

PatrickG1, Sep 26, 2016
  4. Win 10 Update Destroyed My Settings - Why?

I got the same thing the update took ages to install then had to re-adjust all my settings & it seemed to corrupt some of my software which had to be re-installed to work again.

I reckon this is how windows is gonna be from now on weather you got it free or purchased it, most people won't be tweaking it for performance like some of use - also my win10 is pro edition....

RoadBlaster, Sep 26, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    It might help to know which version of Win10 was installed before the 'update'. If it was Version 1511 you may have gotten Upgraded to Version 1607 Build 14393.187 which is the latest. Such Upgrades, which may contain newer drivers, can cause issues with users settings, mine weren't changed much.

Numbering has gotten a bit more complicated with Win10 having a Version number and Build number with the last number such as .187 being an update to the build. There's 3 editions of Win10, the RTM or Released To Market/Manufacturing in Home or Pro versions and the Insider Preview [test/BETA] version [I have all 3 on computers]. Added to that is the Enterprise and Education editions. And let's not forget that all editions are available as either 32-bit or 64-bit.

Berton, Sep 26, 2016
  6. Hello Berton,

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I had no suspicion that Win 10 would do something like this to me, and I never thought to check what version of Win 10 I had prior to the update. It seems that I now have Win 10 Version 1607 Build 14393.187

If the net result of this update caused me to lose various settings, how do I prevent this eventuality in the future? I feel stressed at the idea of being forced to go thru this again. I can't believe that Microsoft will not have the foresight to anticipate that a lot of users will be very ticked off by these unexpected changes.

I hope to get your expert opinion on what I should do going forward. Many thanks

win10user1023, Sep 26, 2016
  7. Berton Win User
    Unfortunately it can happen again with the next version Upgrade, may even happen with a new Build. Win10 has been touted as being the last full version of Windows and will be continually updated rather than have the traditional Service Packs. I keep making notes of what I want to customize/change 'just in case'.

Berton, Sep 26, 2016
  8. Win 10 Update Destroyed My Settings - Why?

Give W10 2 to 3 years & the code will change so much that you will have no chioce but to upgrade your software you use because they will write the code out of existance with win10, it's the only way they will make their money to keep Bill Gates in his luxury lifestyle....

RoadBlaster, Sep 26, 2016
  9. Hello Berton,

Thank you for your reply again. Going forward I may look into the possibility of making 'manual' updates, at the exact times when I feel disposed to make them. Can you advise me on how (perhaps in Control Panel) I might turn off these automatic updates?

Again, thank you.

win10user1023, Sep 27, 2016
  10. Berton Win User
    I think I remember seeing something on the Tutorials section about that. I didn't peruse it as I want the updates.

Berton, Sep 27, 2016
  11. Bree New Member
    Here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

But you can relax, at least for the rest of this year...

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...ersary-update/

12. Kbird Win User
    I think only Win10 Pro allows you to disable Updates for a certain Period ...3-4 months? via Control Panel/Settings but I think you can disable the Win10 Update Service on all Editions.

I have Drivers Off but not the Normal Updates which usually come out the 1st Tues of each Month, unless they are fixing stuff previously Broken .

Kbird, Sep 27, 2016
  13. Win 10 Update Destroyed My Settings - Why?

Kbird,

What you say is interesting and revealing. I do find it irritating that I am pretty much forced to take the updates. I don't like losing control. I'm almost thinking of the idea of removing Win 10. I have Win 7 on a separate PC and I've been fairly satisfied with my options there.

win10user1023, Sep 28, 2016
  14. Yakima Win User
    Just updated to 1607.

Mainly fiddly little things are now noticeable.

1. Previously, my Imageshack install, when I looked in the pictures library to upload a pic, Win 10 used to present the library showing the latest pics I had downloaded (I didn't set it up that way - it started doing that when I first upgraded to W10). Now, unfortunately, it no longer does that. Back now to the old Win7 way of having to look through all my pics alphabetically. Tried changing settings in the library, but it makes no difference.

2. Some apps seem to have disappeared, although the icons remain. I use Translator a lot (I need to understand certain Chinese sites). When I hit the icon - nothing. Had to reinstall.

3. All the settings for sending sound to my HDMI TV across the room had been reset. The original Win10 upgrade left them alone. 1607 messed them up.

4. The Start Button functionality has changed. Previously, a left click showed all my useful buttons (like File Explorer), along with a button for All Apps if I needed to use a prog I hadn't used for a while. Now, it defaults to All Apps, and I have to click a second time to see the useful buttons. Why?

5. This is THE most annoying. I still like to use IE at times - I know it is unfashionable to do so, but I really don't want to have to go through all my older sites updating all my (long forgotten) passwords, as I would have to in order to use Edge. Since 1607, IE will fall over every time, after around 5-5 minutes use.
    It is almost as if MS have crippled it in order to get us all to stop using it.

I am sure there are lots of better things going on in the background now, compared to the older build, but in terms of usability, IMHO, 1607 is not a step forward.
    I guess we are all now classed as Beta users by MS, and fixes will appear, hopefully, in due course, if they deem it worth fixing (which, in the case of IE, I don't think will happen).

Yakima, Sep 28, 2016
  15. Kbird Win User
    with Win10 I now backup 2-3 times a week to an External with Macrium Reflect so I can Rollback if I get an unexpected Update and it borks something , or like 2 weeks ago when AU Failed on 1st attempt , I re-imaged and un-installed Avast and let the AU Update Run again with no issues.

KB.

Kbird, Sep 28, 2016
Thema:

Win 10 Update Destroyed My Settings - Why?

1. Win 10 Update Destroyed My Settings - Why? - Similar Threads - Update Destroyed Settings

2. why the new big update for win10 is destroy the pc? such as no win store no sound music no...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why the new big update for win10 is destroy the pc? such as no win store no sound music no...: i update my win10 to the new "windows 10 verios 22H2 KB5023773"and the pc gone bed i dont know what to do such as no win store no sound music drive cant work no microsoft icon make the pc go slower...
  3. why the new big update for win10 is destroy the pc? such as no win store no sound music no...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    why the new big update for win10 is destroy the pc? such as no win store no sound music no...: i update my win10 to the new "windows 10 verios 22H2 KB5023773"and the pc gone bed i dont know what to do such as no win store no sound music drive cant work no microsoft icon make the pc go slower...
  4. Windows 10 update destroyed my keyboard

Windows 10 update destroyed my keyboard: My laptop forced a windows 10 update in December 2019 after I had finished using it one day with no issues at all. The next day when I loaded it up certain keys on the keyboard did not work, although the touch pad and the vast majority of keys worked and still work to this...
  5. October 2020, win 10 update, audio crackling destroying my music work

in Windows 10 Customization
    October 2020, win 10 update, audio crackling destroying my music work: Win 10 home, build: 10.0.18363 System manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd motherboard; GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0 x64 AMD FX 4130 quad core, 3800 Mhz, 2 cores, 4 logical processors I use Roland MX-1 mixer's sound card as it is a highly professional setup, and have all...
  6. Windows 10 update destroyed my laptop

Windows 10 update destroyed my laptop: For the past year I have been repairing my Toshiba laptop after Windows 10 updates crashed it. After two visits to a technician I decided to contact Microsoft. I spent hours talking to someone on the phone. My daughter created 2 USB Windows ISO files for me (64 & 32). I then...
  7. Windows 10 Update Destroyed My Computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Update Destroyed My Computer: After not updating for a long time- continuously turning off automatic updates, etc- my computer woke itself up from sleep mode and forced an update out of the blue. After this update, my computer can't stay on for more than 5 minutes without getting the blue screen saying...
  8. Why does Windows update destroy my browser session?

Why does Windows update destroy my browser session?: Because of security concerns I let Windows update automatically, big mistake. It destroys browser sessions, which can't always be restored. Browser developers have worked very hard to allow users to continue with their previous session after a shutdown. But for some...
  9. Windows 10 update: Destroyed my PC

Windows 10 update: Destroyed my PC: I updated Windows 10 on my PC today. I tried to postpone this update but the system messages persuaded me... And after that my PC have been unavailable... It needs 10 minutes to boot and after logging in I receive a message: C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop...
  10. Windows 10 Updates Destroyed My Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Updates Destroyed My Desktop: I'm not sure this is the right forum. Microsoft has the worst customer feedback site. Here goes....Recently, I purchased a Dell Laptop with Windows 10 on it. I should I have waited and found another brand with Windows 8 still on it. Last week, as I was out of the room,...