Windows 10: Win 10 update - external hard drive unrecognized

Discus and support Win 10 update - external hard drive unrecognized in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I hope someone can help me. Microsoft just updated the Win 10 installation on my main computer and now my WD My Passport 4TB hard drive is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by pk44313, Nov 19, 2017.

1. pk44313 Win User

Win 10 update - external hard drive unrecognized

Hello, I hope someone can help me. Microsoft just updated the Win 10 installation on my main computer and now my WD My Passport 4TB hard drive is not recognized. It shows as "Local Disk (H*Smile" in Windows Explorer, and in Disk Management it shows as being empty and the file system is RAW.

On my other Win 10 computer it shows (correctly) as "F:/My Passport" - and I can access all my files just fine - so I know the drive is not at fault.

Ant ideas as to what the problem is and how I can resolve it?

Thanks.

:)

pk44313, Nov 19, 2017
  2. 154Neil Win User

Hard Disk Failure - Reinstall Win 10

My laptop PC came with Win 7 and I upgraded a long time ago to Win 10. The hard disk has now failed and I need to replace the hard drive. Since this is a laptop and I really don't have any need to move the laptop, I would like to know to know if I can
    just get an external hard drive and install Win 10 for this PC and boot from the hard drive.

If I can use an external hard drive, please tell me if any USB hard drive will work and how do I install Win 10 on the external hard drive (I have other PCs with Win 10 ).

PS: I tried recovery, etc and it all failed.

154Neil, Nov 19, 2017
  3. Seagate External 2T Hard Drive

Hi Richard

I should point out that I updated from Win 8 to Win 10 some time in September

To answer your questions;

Yes, I used the Seagate drive the previous day

No, the Seagate drive was not connected during the upgrade

The Seagate external hard drive is USB powered

The contents on the external Seagate hard drive are still intact and can been proven on another PC

I have a external WD hard drive which is still recognized post upgrade

Mark

MarkFinlay_995, Nov 19, 2017
  4. pk44313 Win User

That should be a colon, not a smiley face, after the "H."

pk44313, Nov 19, 2017
Thema:

1. Win 10 update - external hard drive unrecognized - Similar Threads - update external hard

2. Updating Windows 10 with External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updating Windows 10 with External Hard Drive: Hello, I have been getting alerts on my Laptop about me needing to free up space. 32GB I can't really do that so, the computer said I could buy an External Hard Drive. I went and bought myself a 2TB for the update and some game files, etc. I remembered when I downloaded game...
  3. Windows updates and external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows updates and external hard drive: Does windows updates have an effect on external hard drives? I recently encounter an issue with my hard drive, my laptop randomly stopped detecting my external hard drive and it crashed my windows explorer. I tried to find a solution but I had no luck. I stopped trying to fix...
  4. External Hard drive issue win 10 pro

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive issue win 10 pro: Hiya Guys and Gals. My old win 10 HD wouldnt boot, I tried the turn off 3 times and waited for the "Repair Screen" to appear which kinda did then went blank took about 20 mins for it too work out what job it was supposed to be doing like bringing up the options menu. I went...
  5. Unrecognized Hard Drive Partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unrecognized Hard Drive Partition: So I went to defrag my drives the other day and saw this new volume that I'm not sure about. Does anyone have any info as to what this might be? I have system recovery disabled and I tried wiping the restore points thinking it was something like that but it's still in my...
  6. Unrecognized external Hard drive

Unrecognized external Hard drive: I have a 4TB hard drive that was previously setup in a Shuttle OMNINAS KD20 NAS with another 4Tb drive. In the NAS they were setup as JBOD. One day you could see the files on the drives, the next day you couldn't. I pulled both drives and attempted to recover the files using...
  7. unable to install external bacck up hard drive - "UNRECOGNIZED" error

unable to install external bacck up hard drive - "UNRECOGNIZED" error: I have a up to date Windows 10 OS on a Del desktop. I am unable to install a new Seagate 10TB external storage Backup plus Hub. After I plug in the USB to the correct USB 3.0 port, the external drive temporarily appears in the PC Device Manager List as a Disc Drive that...
  8. install Win 10 on external hard drive

install Win 10 on external hard drive: Hello, I wonder if there is a chance to install Win 10 on external hard drive (USB 3.0 ) I tryied win to usb but the free ver doesnt support the latest windown 10 1089 . Thanks in advance 131215
  9. install Win 10 on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    install Win 10 on external hard drive: Hello, I wonder if there is a chance to install Win 10 on external hard drive (USB 3.0 ) I tryied win to usb but the free ver doesnt support the latest windown 10 1089 . Thanks in advance 131215
  10. ANy chance to install Win 10 on external hard drive

ANy chance to install Win 10 on external hard drive: Hello I wonder if there is a chance to install fresh Win 10 on external hard drive (USB 3.0 ) Thanks in advance 95204