Windows 10: Win 10 update hangs after default install change

Discus and support Win 10 update hangs after default install change in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I had a clean install of Win 10 on small SSD. Added large HDD as D drive. Installed only a couple of primary programs on C. At someone's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JoeW01, Nov 9, 2019.

1. JoeW01 Win User

Win 10 update hangs after default install change

Hello,

I had a clean install of Win 10 on small SSD. Added large HDD as D drive. Installed only a couple of primary programs on C. At someone's suggestion I changed default location of programs by changing registry to point to D. Everything worked exactly as I wanted except Windows will now not update. If I try to run update manually, it states that only a handful of my programs will be included after update is complete (or something like that). I've since learned that Microsoft does not recommend or support this change to registry. My question is - can I simply return the registry values to default to C drive and update will work? I don't wont to create additional issues so I would appreciate knowing the best path to move forward. I am hoping that I do not have to reinstall the many programs that I installed on D drive. Also not sure that I have room to install all of them on my 128GB SSD.

Thank you,

Joe W

:)

JoeW01, Nov 9, 2019

2. Windows 10 update hangs on downloading updates at 98%

Hi vinodh,

In step 3 you state to press enter after after each command but its written like one sentence,could you list them so we can identify each command please.my pc just hangs on "checking for updates" so i installed the win 10 updater and that just hangs on 99%
    so i will try what you suggest above.

Thanks

but not with this email add, Nov 9, 2019
  3. kajson Win User
    Win 10 clean install question

So I spend the day yesterday installing the computer, using a prepared usb key with windows 10 on it.

I got it all sorted in the end but I'll share my fails anyways so others might learn:

Do not try to do a clean install win with win 10 home N, when you come from a machine with just win 10 home. It won't activate *Wink Win 10 update hangs after default install change ;) After reinstalling with the right copy, it was already activated right away after the first boot, didn't even have to initialise it.

There hasn't changed a whole lot in making clean install compared to older versions of windows, it's slightly better streamlined, though being asked at 3 different stages to enter a product key when it's not needed during install seems a bit annoying.

Further more it would be lovely if Microsoft finally learned to ask ALL questions regarding preferences updates and whatnot in one go, so you can then go away from your computer and come back to a fully installed/updated system including reboots.. Not impossible I would say.

There's still some little bugs, like when I installed realtek audio drivers, they'd go into an infinite loop asking for reboot and install the driver. And as a PDF reader isn't in the list of standard programs to select, foxitreader keeps saying it is not the default reader for pdf's even though I had said yes to the question 3x. If this fails to get file associations for PDF's I do hope Microsoft will fix this asap.

Thanks for the fast answers earlier guys, it gave me the confidence that all would be well, even when I cocked up the first install with the N version.

kajson, Nov 9, 2019
  4. Win 10 update hangs after default install change

Changing Default program in Win 10 home

Hi Alan,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

• As you sure that this program is successfully installed on the PC?

If the default protocol that you wish to change is not available in the Settings app, you can use Control Panel to change the default programs in Windows 10.

Follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key + X to get the menu.
    • Click the ‘Control Panel’ and then click on ‘Default Programs’.
    • Click on the option saying ‘Set Your Default Programs’.
    Control Panel will find the installed apps and programs and display the list. You will see the list of installed program in the left pane and the right pane will contain a description of program, along with options that let you set the program as default
    for files/protocols it can handle

Select the program that you wish to set as default, and then click on ‘Set this Program as Default’. This will set the program as default for files and protocols it can handle.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Nov 9, 2019
Thema:

Win 10 update hangs after default install change

1. Win 10 update hangs after default install change - Similar Threads - update hangs default

2. Windows 10 update KB5016616 hangs on reboot after install

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 update KB5016616 hangs on reboot after install: I'm trying to update to the latest Win10 update released on 8/8/22. Ever since that update was downloaded the machine hangs on the required reboot after the install. I have disabled updates until I can find a fix. I've tried to download the update and install manually but get...
  3. Hang after installation of update 2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hang after installation of update 2004: Hi I have downloaded and install the update 2004 when it was available for my system but failed because of system was hang during installation show error Failed to install on ‎04/‎06/‎2020 - 0xc1900101...
  4. Win 10 updates keep changing my Default apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 updates keep changing my Default apps: Why are my default applications always changed after a Windows 10 update ? I am really sick of having to change them back to my preferred applications. What right has Microsoft got to constantly change my preferred settings? It is MY computer and I do not wish to use some of...
  5. Win 10 update hangs after default install channge

Win 10 update hangs after default install channge: Hello, I had a clean install of Win 10 on small SSD. Added large HDD as D drive. Installed only a couple of primary programs on C. At someone's suggestion I changed default location of programs by changing registry to point to D. Everything worked exactly as I wanted...
  6. Windows Updates Issue after Changing Default Installation Folder - Windows 10

Windows Updates Issue after Changing Default Installation Folder - Windows 10: I bought a new laptop over the Summer as my previous one died. The laptop has a C Drive with 128 Gigs of space and a D drive with 1 TB of space. Immediately after installing programs moving files etc I ran out of space on the C Drive. So I then uninstalled everything and...
  7. Win 10 Quick Assist hangs after installing KB4340917

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 Quick Assist hangs after installing KB4340917: I select Quick Assist, Give assistance and then I see dots circling https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/win-10-quick-assist-hangs-after-installing/046fd584-65ed-4da1-9434-311b3451936c
  8. Win 10 hangs during install

Win 10 hangs during install: The issue: I'm running Windows 7 in a VirtualBox virtual machine. It's time to upgrade to Windows 10, but the upgrade process doesn't complete: it gets to the point where I see the black screen with the blue Windows logo, but nothing else is visible: no progress indicator,...
  9. printer hanging after win 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    printer hanging after win 10 upgrade: Just upgraded to windows 10. When I print to a laser printer in an application, the printer prints fine but afterwards, the circle of death remains and my screen is hung it doesnt return control to user. I have to close/restart my app. The app worked perfectly before Win 10....
  10. Windows hang on desktop after last Win 10 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows hang on desktop after last Win 10 update: Hello PC hang when I load it after the last update. The desktop is showed and PC start to load item from the toolbar ( the one next the clock). 2 application are loaded then system is hanged. Cursor is displaying a small circle and that it I could load PC in safe mode....