Windows 10: Win 10 update hangs after default install channge

Discus and support Win 10 update hangs after default install channge in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I had a clean install of Win 10 on small SSD. Added large HDD as D drive. Installed only a couple of primary programs on C. At someone's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JoeW01, Nov 9, 2019.

1. JoeW01 Win User

Win 10 update hangs after default install channge

Hello,

I had a clean install of Win 10 on small SSD. Added large HDD as D drive. Installed only a couple of primary programs on C. At someone's suggestion I changed default location of programs by changing registry to point to D. Everything worked exactly as I wanted except Windows will now not update. If I try to run update manually, it states that only a handful of my programs will be included after update is complete (or something like that). I've since learned that Microsoft does not recommend or support this change to registry. My question is - can I simply return the registry values to default to C drive and update will work? I don't wont to create additional issues so I would appreciate knowing the best path to move forward. I am hoping that I do not have to reinstall the many programs that I installed on D drive. Also not sure that I have room to install all of them on my 128GB SSD.

Thank you,

Joe W

:)

JoeW01, Nov 9, 2019

2. Windows 10 update hangs on downloading updates at 98%

Hi vinodh,

In step 3 you state to press enter after after each command but its written like one sentence,could you list them so we can identify each command please.my pc just hangs on "checking for updates" so i installed the win 10 updater and that just hangs on 99%
    so i will try what you suggest above.

Thanks

but not with this email add, Nov 9, 2019
  3. Win 10 1607 update

Installed the update manually at the the moment everything is bueno.
    It seems that Microsoft has a big problem in there update department windows 7 update has problems win 8 update has problems. Windows 10 update is so-so.

Countryside, Nov 9, 2019
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

Thema:

1. Win 10 update hangs after default install channge - Similar Threads - update hangs default

2. Windows 10 update KB5016616 hangs on reboot after install

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 update KB5016616 hangs on reboot after install: I'm trying to update to the latest Win10 update released on 8/8/22. Ever since that update was downloaded the machine hangs on the required reboot after the install. I have disabled updates until I can find a fix. I've tried to download the update and install manually but get...
  3. Windows 10 update KB5016616 hangs on reboot after install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 update KB5016616 hangs on reboot after install: I'm trying to update to the latest Win10 update released on 8/8/22. Ever since that update was downloaded the machine hangs on the required reboot after the install. I have disabled updates until I can find a fix. I've tried to download the update and install manually but get...
  4. Windows 10 update KB5016616 hangs on reboot after install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hang after installation of update 2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hang after installation of update 2004: Hi I have downloaded and install the update 2004 when it was available for my system but failed because of system was hang during installation show error Failed to install on ‎04/‎06/‎2020 - 0xc1900101...
  6. Win 10 update hangs after default install change

Win 10 update hangs after default install change: Hello, I had a clean install of Win 10 on small SSD. Added large HDD as D drive. Installed only a couple of primary programs on C. At someone's suggestion I changed default location of programs by changing registry to point to D. Everything worked exactly as I wanted...
  7. Win 10 Quick Assist hangs after installing KB4340917

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 Quick Assist hangs after installing KB4340917: I select Quick Assist, Give assistance and then I see dots circling https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/win-10-quick-assist-hangs-after-installing/046fd584-65ed-4da1-9434-311b3451936c
  8. Win 10 hangs during install

Win 10 hangs during install: The issue: I'm running Windows 7 in a VirtualBox virtual machine. It's time to upgrade to Windows 10, but the upgrade process doesn't complete: it gets to the point where I see the black screen with the blue Windows logo, but nothing else is visible: no progress indicator,...
  9. printer hanging after win 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    printer hanging after win 10 upgrade: Just upgraded to windows 10. When I print to a laser printer in an application, the printer prints fine but afterwards, the circle of death remains and my screen is hung it doesnt return control to user. I have to close/restart my app. The app worked perfectly before Win 10....
  10. Windows hang on desktop after last Win 10 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows hang on desktop after last Win 10 update: Hello PC hang when I load it after the last update. The desktop is showed and PC start to load item from the toolbar ( the one next the clock). 2 application are loaded then system is hanged. Cursor is displaying a small circle and that it I could load PC in safe mode....