Windows 10: Win 10 update of dual boot Win10 Ubuntu system fail to boot

Discus and support Win 10 update of dual boot Win10 Ubuntu system fail to boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I initiated a lengthy Win 10 update with multiple restarts the other night. In an amazing display of brain-deadness, I had forgotten that the PC was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tangofoxtrot, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Win 10 update of dual boot Win10 Ubuntu system fail to boot

I initiated a lengthy Win 10 update with multiple restarts the other night. In an amazing display of brain-deadness, I had forgotten that the PC was configured as a dual boot Win10/Ubuntu 16.04 system that defaulted to Ubuntu on boot up. At some point, the Win10 restart didn't happen and now, when I boot, the system comes up in grub rescue mode.

I realize that this was an epic fail on my part, but it is what it is. I don't need the Ubuntu setup any more. My files on the win 10 system I do need. So, how can I tell if the win10 system is still there and the user files are intact and retrievable.

I found a procedure that should work in a situation similar to mine if the Ubuntu partition has not been removed by the Win 10 update process. In this case, booting into windows (which should still be present) is pretty straight forward. It consists of using grub to identify the Ubuntu partition and then setting root and prefix to it and typing insmod normal and normal.

Unfortunately, I can't find the Ubuntu partition. So, I assume it's gone. Here's what I do see:
    Typing ls to the grub recovery prompt produces:
    (hdo), (hd0,msdos5) ,(hd0,msdos3), (hd0,msdos2) ,(hd0,msdos1)

examining each of these yields “unknown file system”.

I do have a boot-able usb system disk for a Win10 system on another computer and I can boot up win10 on the ailing PC using it. But I don’t know if this I useful or what to do next. This is way above my pay grade. Any help would really be appreciated.

:)

tangofoxtrot, Aug 10, 2019
  2. davidhk Win User

Dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04?

Once I had Windows 10 RTM dual booting with Linux 17.2. No issue whatsoever.

Here is a tutorial on dual booting Win 10 and Ubuntu 15.04
    http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/d...th-screenshots

davidhk, Aug 10, 2019
  3. dcf-joe Win User
    dual boot xp and ubuntu

I had that problem a few months ago, but dual-booting is really easy. I am currently dual-booting Vista and Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron. Use this website here for a guide to dual-booting XP and Ubuntu: APC's September 2019 issue is on sale now! | TechRadar (I actually did not use this guide at all, but I did pretty much the same thing!)

If you are unable to get your boot working with this guide, reply to this message, and I will write out a step-by-step guide, but it will involve you already having a partition set out for XP (as in you are not already using your entire hard drive space for XP alone.) Even though I write the guide with experience from Vista, it will work with XP

dcf-joe, Aug 10, 2019
  4. Win 10 update of dual boot Win10 Ubuntu system fail to boot

Dual boot with Ubuntu

I have a dual boot system with windows 8.1 and Ubuntu side by side, both on different partitions.

I have heard rumours about windows deleting the Ubuntu partitions during some update process or such.

Is there any possibility of happening that if I try to update 8.1 to windows 10 from a ISO or through another process?

Obviously, I don't want to lose any of the data on the process let alone Ubuntu along with it.

Md. Jahidul Hamid, Aug 10, 2019
Thema:

Win 10 update of dual boot Win10 Ubuntu system fail to boot

1. Win 10 update of dual boot Win10 Ubuntu system fail to boot - Similar Threads - update dual boot

2. Win10 update fails with Win10/Win10 dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 update fails with Win10/Win10 dual boot: Hi,I have an HP Omen 17 laptop with a UEFI dual boot setup- Win10 Enterprise and Win10 Ent LTSC.The Win10 Enterprise is version 1909, and every attempt to update it to 21h0, 21h1 or 21H2 has failed. Error code 0x80242016.I've tried just about every trick in the book to fix...
  3. Win10 update fails with Win10/Win10 dual boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 update fails with Win10/Win10 dual boot: Hi,I have an HP Omen 17 laptop with a UEFI dual boot setup- Win10 Enterprise and Win10 Ent LTSC.The Win10 Enterprise is version 1909, and every attempt to update it to 21h0, 21h1 or 21H2 has failed. Error code 0x80242016.I've tried just about every trick in the book to fix...
  4. Win10 update fails with Win10/Win10 dual boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Dual Boot Ubuntu

Dual Boot Ubuntu: I am a software developer who has recently got some embedded systems work. The support community for the tools I will be using is built with the assumption of a Linux operating system. While for other types of work-loads, such as backend work, I have been happy with my...
  6. Help with dual booting Win 10 and Ubuntu

Help with dual booting Win 10 and Ubuntu: Hello, My laptop has two hard drives: in the main location is an SSD with Win 10 and in the DVD drive bay is an HDD with Ubuntu. Both are Legacy BIOS. Win 10 uses MBR in /dev/sda1 and Ubuntu GRUB2 which is at /dev/sdb. I am trying to use the Windows bootloader to give me a...
  7. Dual boot Ubuntu

Dual boot Ubuntu: I tried 'Ubuntu' for a while. Later got the drive deleted. [ATTACH] But the Ubuntu Boot Manager is there in the BIOS ? How can I remove that? Dr Abdul Rasheed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot-ubuntu/8d273b76-c1f2-4f23-9ba6-28a4c96b9141
  8. Dual boot with Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot with Ubuntu: Hello, I wanted to dual boot with ubuntu on HDD while my windows is on SSD. Most tutorials I have seen usually show the option to select the OS they want to boot into when they start the computer. I was wondering if there is a way where I could always boot into windows...
  9. Setup dual-boot Ubuntu alongside Win10

Setup dual-boot Ubuntu alongside Win10: I've installed Kubuntu on my SSD. I can live boot the USB and see it installed there. However, No matter what I've tried I have not been able to boot the program from my SSD. There is a EFI partition. There is a ubuntu selection available in the boot menu. Selecting it has no...
  10. Ubuntu Dual Boot

Ubuntu Dual Boot: I am using the non-metro Windows 10 boot loader to manage a dual boot setup (legacy BIOS) with Ubuntu. Generally, everything works fine. However, sometimes when I perform an update in Ubuntu, grub overwrites the Windows MBR. Then I have to use EasyBCD to restore the Windows...