Windows 10: Win 10/ Updates/ BSOD's

Discus and support Win 10/ Updates/ BSOD's in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all. I've had the Win 10 OS since it came out a couple of years ago. Now, I've had more than one desktop system since Win 10's release, but, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Pez, Nov 19, 2017.

1. PEZ
    Pez Win User

Win 10/ Updates/ BSOD's

Hi all.

I've had the Win 10 OS since it came out a couple of years ago. Now, I've had more than one desktop system since Win 10's release, but, I think I've noticed some kind of pattern.

At home, no matter which desktop system I've had Windows 10 on (and it's been three different desktop systems), after a Windows Update, restart, login, sometimes I'll get a BSOD.

I don't mean for this to sound like I receive blue screens ALL the time after every Windows Update, but, that does seem to be when it happens.

And it doesn't have to be a "major" Update. For instance, about a month ago or so, I updated to the Fall Creators Update; no problems. But then the other night, this happened:

Before I go to bed, I usually shut down my computer completely. Well, you know how Windows 10 has that feature where if you don't manually do a restart yourself after an Update, it will wait for your "Inactive Hours" and do an auto reboot. Well, I go to shut down my computer, and I see that it's at the splash screen (the screen where you tap any key, the screen slides up, revealing your Username and the blank field to enter your password). So, it must have done an auto reboot after some updates.

I tap my spacebar, enter my password, it goes to my desktop, and, (I'm a little bleary-eyed, late at night, ready for bed) I see a little tiny template in the middle of my screen and I can see the word "driver" in there, and an "OK" button to click. I click the "OK" button, and, *poof*, BSOD.

My machine rebooted, and everything's fine now.

But anybody else notice this with Win 10? This pattern? That after some kind of Windows Update, you get a BSOD?

And remember: I've had three different desktop systems with Windows 10, and I seem to notice these BSOD's after a Windows Update; not while gaming, or, doing something that demands a lot of system resources, graphically-intense, etc. Just after a Windows Update and logging into the desktop.

Thanks for any help or insight,

:)

2. PA Bear - MS MVP, Nov 19, 2017
  3. Blue screen of death (BSoD) error 0xc000021a windows10

Same with my Win 10 through free update. Was great for a week or so and then repeated BsoD on boot up. I believe a video driver was the culprit.

I've UN-installed all vid drivers and re-installed the NVidia drivers fresh with win 10 and so far, all seems well...

Knock on wood! Ouch! That's my head! ;o)

Adam

UPDATE:

UPDATING MY NVIDIA VIDEO DRIVERS APPEARS TO HAVE SOLVED BSOD ISSUE.

Even though I had updated drivers before I updated to Win 10, I had to REINSTALL these video drivers after I updated the system to WIN 10 and have had no Blue Screen OD issues since.

Go to your video card manufacturer website and download and reinstall the latest video drivers for your video card, specifically for Win 10 (or the latest drivers available).

Should fix your BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) problem.

AdamRuminer, Nov 19, 2017
  4. Win 10/ Updates/ BSOD's

I never experienced the "driver" template that you are encountering; however, after major Cumulative updates, I get the "Oops, your PC ran into a problem and we are collecting diagnostic data and will reboot." It happens ever single time that Windows Update requires a restart. If the updates do not require a restart, the system performs normally.

I honestly believe the "Oops, your PC ran into a problem" is mislabeled and should read "Oops, our OS ran into a problem and your PC is fine."

I have ran diagnostics (built-in PC Doctor/F9 key on boot with my system) after receiving messages like that from Windows that state my PC has ran into a problem only to find that my hunch was correct in assuming that it is more likely an OS problem or glitch.

In all honesty, I believe the super-user administrator account that is automatically generated during a clean install of any build number of a Windows 10 OS, is one of the possible causes of some of these off the wall behavioral patterns of the OS in general.

EyeInTheSky, Nov 19, 2017
  5. I just replied to the thread, I didn't start one about BSOD.

EyeInTheSky, Nov 19, 2017
  6. axe0 New Member
  7. PEZ
    Pez Win User
    OK, I followed the BSOD Posting Instructions; included with my post is the Zip file.

8. Win 10/ Updates/ BSOD's

Can you provide us with the kernel memory dump please? Its located in C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP.
    You can upload it to an cloud service like dropbox or onedrive.

BSODHunter, Nov 20, 2017
  9. PEZ
    Pez Win User
    BSODHunter: I navigated to the location you stated: C:\Windows\, and looked for "MEMORY.DMP"; there is neither a file nor a folder by this name.

And just in case you were going to ask, yes, I have Show Hidden Files, Folders, & Drives turned on.

While I was in C:\Windows, I noticed a folder there called "Minidump", but when I opened it, it was empty.

However, were you able to do anything with the info from the program that I ran, the "dm_log_collector"; I posted the Zip file as requested from the article here of "BSOD - Posting Instructions".

10. axe0 New Member
    Please fill in your system specsPlease follow this tutorial and download the tool. The tool will give you detailed information about your system specs, please fill in your system specs more completely including PSU, cooling and other used stuff like mouse, keyboard, monitor, case, etc.
    The PSU, cooling and other stuff are NOT mentioned in the tool.
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'. After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.

Win 10/ Updates/ BSOD's [​IMG]

Win 10/ Updates/ BSOD's [​IMG]

11. PEZ
    Pez Win User
    Thanks for the info, axe0; I did as you instructed and ran the SystemInfo tool. I then filled in the info that was not automatically uploaded like you mentioned.

I hope I did all this correct so you can access it, check it out, and then maybe move forward on why I get these occasional BSOD's, especially after some Win 10 Updates.

12. axe0 New Member
    Either I have cache issues with my browser, or the system specs aren't yet filled in.

13. PEZ
    Pez Win User

Win 10/ Updates/ BSOD's

OK.....then maybe I'm a little confused here: After running that SystemInfo tool, I chose Step 5 in the Tutorial, the "Automatically Fill Out Your System Specs.....".

I chose "Edit System Spec link at the bottom right corner of System Info"; I then clicked "Set info button at the top left corner to automatically enter the information from System Info", and then manually typed in the info that was not there (keyboard, monitor, mouse, etc.).

I then clicked on the "Save Changes button at the bottom to save them".

But ahhhh....then I see that in a previous post of yours, you said, "In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'. After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs"..............sooo now I realize......what was the point in using that tool, and then that page where in auto-filled-in my system info? Because I have to just do it all again where you said to click on "a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs".

I have to manually fill/ type in all this info again anyway? What was the point of that auto-fill tool & saving my changes? It didn't save it, did it?

14. axe0 New Member
    The tool provides information many don't know, it's designed for Windows 7 Help Forums which is why the button to automatically set the specs doesn't work. I understand it's a lot of work, but there's information that's needed that cannot be retrieved from logs.

15. PEZ
    Pez Win User
    OK, I updated my system specs.

So, with the zip file I uploaded, and the updated system specs, can you tell me anything about the BSOD's? We can move forward now? *chuckle

Thema:

Win 10/ Updates/ BSOD's

1. Win 10/ Updates/ BSOD's - Similar Threads - Updates BSOD's

2. When I restart my laptop it says updates are underway and it restarts to a bsod and loops.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I restart my laptop it says updates are underway and it restarts to a bsod and loops.: I am having an issue with my new laptop with windows 11 22h2 it doesn't install new updates and when I restart the laptop it says updates are underway and without any persentage it suddenly restarts when my laptop logo shows up the loading lags and goes to bsod and restarts...
  3. When I restart my laptop it says updates are underway and it restarts to a bsod and loops.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I restart my laptop it says updates are underway and it restarts to a bsod and loops.: I am having an issue with my new laptop with windows 11 22h2 it doesn't install new updates and when I restart the laptop it says updates are underway and without any persentage it suddenly restarts when my laptop logo shows up the loading lags and goes to bsod and restarts...
  4. Laptop always BSODs when trying to update. Stuck on Windows 1709

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop always BSODs when trying to update. Stuck on Windows 1709: Hi all. I've had this Lenovo Yoga 720 15" laptop since 2017 and have done countless hours and methods of troubleshooting to try and get this thing to update, but it always BSODs for 90% of the Windows updates. Thus, I seem to be permanently stuck on version 1709. I think it...
  5. Laptop always BSODs when trying to update. Stuck on Windows 1709

Laptop always BSODs when trying to update. Stuck on Windows 1709: Hi all. I've had this Lenovo Yoga 720 15" laptop since 2017 and have done countless hours and methods of troubleshooting to try and get this thing to update, but it always BSODs for 90% of the Windows updates. Thus, I seem to be permanently stuck on version 1709. I think it...
  6. Laptop always BSODs when trying to update. Stuck on Windows 1709

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Been having random restart and BSOD after updating Windows KB5035853

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Been having random restart and BSOD after updating Windows KB5035853: Hi, I've been experiencing several random restarts when the machine is asleep and random BSODs after updating.The event viewers show the following error IDs:volmgr 161volmgr 162Is the error software or hardware-related?...
  8. Been having random restart and BSOD after updating Windows KB5035853

Been having random restart and BSOD after updating Windows KB5035853: Hi, I've been experiencing several random restarts when the machine is asleep and random BSODs after updating.The event viewers show the following error IDs:volmgr 161volmgr 162Is the error software or hardware-related?...
  9. bsod after drivers update 0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8057AD41A71, 0xFFFFF48CBE90E9E8,...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    bsod after drivers update 0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8057AD41A71, 0xFFFFF48CBE90E9E8,...: hi! i have bsod every time i update drivers of my gpu nv gtx960m from any source oficial nvidia site, geforce expirience, windows driver updater... ive tried 5-6 times and one of them even ended up with the impossobility of restoring recovery point, i had to reinstall...
  10. Constant BSOD at startup after recent Win11Pro update, related to GameInput Service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Constant BSOD at startup after recent Win11Pro update, related to GameInput Service: Hello, since updating to the newest version of Windows 11 Pro I've had problems with starting my system. Notably it crashes with a BSOD like 2-3 times at startup and it's a gamble whether it will progress normally or not. It works fine for about 10 seconds and then it...