Windows 10: Win 10/ Updates/ BSOD's

Discus and support Win 10/ Updates/ BSOD's in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Whenever there is a BSOD please post a new zip: BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Pez, Nov 19, 2017.

1. zbook New Member

Win 10/ Updates/ BSOD's

zbook, Nov 23, 2017
  2. axe0 New Member

There's possibly an issue with the configurations for a BSOD.

What are the settings of the pagefile?
    To find this,
    • open control panel,
    • choose system,
    • go to advanced system settings,
    • choose tab advanced,
    • choose settings in the performance section,
    • choose advanced tab,
    • click change

3. PEZ
    Pez Win User
    Hi axe0; thanks for your reply.

OK, I navigated to where you instructed:

• open control panel,
    • choose system,
    • go to advanced system settings,
    • choose tab advanced,
    • choose settings in the performance section,
    • choose advanced tab,
    • click change
    After that final step where I click on "Change", that brings up "Virtual Memory". At the top of this there is a check-mark in the box for "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives". Below that in the section labeled "Paging file size for each drive", the options in here are greyed-out (non-clickable), presumably because of the check-mark in the box for "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives", correct?

Then below this in the section labeled "Total paging file size for all drives", it has this listed:
    - Minimum allowed: 16 MB
    - Recommended: 4982 MB
    - Currently allocated: 34816 MB

I don't know.....does that make sense? That seems somehow wrong to me. My total system RAM is 32 GB....and currently allocated is 34816 MB??? Isn't that roughly 34 GB? Isn't that technically more than I currently have physically installed on my motherboard?

Anyway....does the information I provided help in any way towards figuring out why I experienced my recent BSOD?

4. axe0 New Member

Win 10/ Updates/ BSOD's

Windows allocates more virtual memory than physical memory, it does this because a complete memory dump requires the page file to be larger than the RAM.
    If this is changed, there may be problems when creating a dump.

Since there appears to be no dump within the logs, please upload the kernel dump to onedrive, google drive, or Dropbox and post a share link. The kernel dump is located directly in the windows folder.

5. PEZ
    Pez Win User
    axe0: Kernel dump?

On the 1st page of this thread, BSODHunter said: "Can you provide us with the kernel memory dump please? Its located in C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. You can upload it to an cloud service like dropbox or onedrive." And I had replied that there is no file or folder by that name in my C:\Windows root folder.

Maybe this is part of my issue? That things are a little strange? From what you and BSODHunter are saying, it sounds like there should be a kernel dump in my C:\Windows folder.

From the BSOD that I had about a week ago, shouldn't it have left a record somewhere on my system? In my System Properties/ Startup and Recovery/ Settings, it's configured to perform a "Complete Memory Dump" in %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP

Something weird going on......

Any more ideas?

6. axe0 New Member
    Have you by any chance have used a tool like disk cleanup, Ccleaner or similar tools to free up space?

7. PEZ
    Pez Win User
    Wow, axe0: you just nailed it.

Soon after I had that BSOD, I used the built-in Windows tool of Disk Cleanup. And yup, that clears up some free space....and that's what probably got rid of that kernel dump/ Memory.dmp?

8. axe0 New Member

Win 10/ Updates/ BSOD's

It most likely did, it's not uncommon since dumps can take up space.

Thema:

Win 10/ Updates/ BSOD's

1. Win 10/ Updates/ BSOD's - Similar Threads - Updates BSOD's

2. I need help fixing my BSOD bootloop in my laptop, it occured after updating the latest...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help fixing my BSOD bootloop in my laptop, it occured after updating the latest...: This type or errors are being displayed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-help-fixing-my-bsod-bootloop-in-my-laptop/b7d9ce41-f5a0-4199-883e-cd864f0288d6
  3. I need help fixing my BSOD bootloop in my laptop, it occured after updating the latest...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need help fixing my BSOD bootloop in my laptop, it occured after updating the latest...: This type or errors are being displayed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-help-fixing-my-bsod-bootloop-in-my-laptop/b7d9ce41-f5a0-4199-883e-cd864f0288d6
  4. When I restart my laptop it says updates are underway and it restarts to a bsod and loops.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I restart my laptop it says updates are underway and it restarts to a bsod and loops.: I am having an issue with my new laptop with windows 11 22h2 it doesn't install new updates and when I restart the laptop it says updates are underway and without any persentage it suddenly restarts when my laptop logo shows up the loading lags and goes to bsod and restarts...
  5. When I restart my laptop it says updates are underway and it restarts to a bsod and loops.

When I restart my laptop it says updates are underway and it restarts to a bsod and loops.: I am having an issue with my new laptop with windows 11 22h2 it doesn't install new updates and when I restart the laptop it says updates are underway and without any persentage it suddenly restarts when my laptop logo shows up the loading lags and goes to bsod and restarts...
  6. Laptop always BSODs when trying to update. Stuck on Windows 1709

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop always BSODs when trying to update. Stuck on Windows 1709: Hi all. I've had this Lenovo Yoga 720 15" laptop since 2017 and have done countless hours and methods of troubleshooting to try and get this thing to update, but it always BSODs for 90% of the Windows updates. Thus, I seem to be permanently stuck on version 1709. I think it...
  7. Laptop always BSODs when trying to update. Stuck on Windows 1709

Laptop always BSODs when trying to update. Stuck on Windows 1709: Hi all. I've had this Lenovo Yoga 720 15" laptop since 2017 and have done countless hours and methods of troubleshooting to try and get this thing to update, but it always BSODs for 90% of the Windows updates. Thus, I seem to be permanently stuck on version 1709. I think it...
  8. Laptop always BSODs when trying to update. Stuck on Windows 1709

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Been having random restart and BSOD after updating Windows KB5035853

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Been having random restart and BSOD after updating Windows KB5035853: Hi, I've been experiencing several random restarts when the machine is asleep and random BSODs after updating.The event viewers show the following error IDs:volmgr 161volmgr 162Is the error software or hardware-related?...
  10. Been having random restart and BSOD after updating Windows KB5035853

Been having random restart and BSOD after updating Windows KB5035853: Hi, I've been experiencing several random restarts when the machine is asleep and random BSODs after updating.The event viewers show the following error IDs:volmgr 161volmgr 162Is the error software or hardware-related?...