Windows 10: Win 10 updates keep changing my Default apps

Discus and support Win 10 updates keep changing my Default apps in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Why are my default applications always changed after a Windows 10 update ? I am really sick of having to change them back to my preferred applications.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Willum08, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Willum08 Win User

Win 10 updates keep changing my Default apps

Why are my default applications always changed after a Windows 10 update ? I am really sick of having to change them back to my preferred applications. What right has Microsoft got to constantly change my preferred settings? It is MY computer and I do not wish to use some of Microsoft's default applications because they don't suit my requirements. This never happened in my previous installation of Windows 7. Does anyone know how to stop this from happening or is this just a case of 'Microsoft knows best - so just accept that' ?

Windows 10 Pro version 1909

:)

Willum08, Jan 10, 2020
  2. trog100 Win User

latest win 10 upgrade.. a default app has been reset..

has anybody else been getting this message..

every so often it pops ups since the last win 10 update.. i have read about it.. but oddly for me i get the message but all my defaults apps remain the same.. he he

trog

trog100, Jan 10, 2020
  3. Windows 10 1803 default app change bug

When right clicking a file and going to "Open With", no matter what file it is, I can't change its default. The box is checked, and the app doesn't change.

This is also true of right clicking and going to "Properties". When I click change, the default doesn't change.

This is happening to me on 3 computers now. Steps to reproduce? I could probably do it by:

Installing Windows 8.1, and upgrading to 10 with the media creation tool.

This does not happen with a fresh install from a USB with Windows 10.

Don't tell me to go to "Settings" and change the defaults. The file type list is horrible, and some of my file types are not listed. The registry is not an option on multiple PCs as it is not just one file type. It is ALL file types. No matter what one I
    try, it's always the same result.

Are there any suggestions? I know how to navigate computer, so please do not suggest that I need to go to Settings

> Apps > Default Apps. These options are far from optimized, and they don't have what I need. There isn't even an option to browse for an app to select defaults for when the app doesn't show up in the list.

A quick fix would be nice. Even a simple item in the registry? I could potentially have this problem on all 75 computers in this building as they all started at 8.1 before going to 10. I can't reinstall Windows on every machine. That's ridiculous.

Abraham Hadley, Jan 10, 2020
  4. Win 10 updates keep changing my Default apps

Default apps are not working in Windows 10

Hi,

As you are facing issues with accessing the default apps on your computer, let us try the troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of accessing the default apps for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

Win 10 updates keep changing my Default apps

1. Win 10 updates keep changing my Default apps - Similar Threads - updates keep changing

2. Windows 11 keeps changing default apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 keeps changing default apps: This is driving me insane! And yes, I know how I'm supposed to be able to change these, and I do, but Win11 continues to hijack them back.It happens most often with PDFs changing from Adobe back to Edge. Often within minutes of having changed the default settings to Adobe. I...
  3. Windows 11 keeps changing default apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 keeps changing default apps: This is driving me insane! And yes, I know how I'm supposed to be able to change these, and I do, but Win11 continues to hijack them back.It happens most often with PDFs changing from Adobe back to Edge. Often within minutes of having changed the default settings to Adobe. I...
  4. Why does Windows 10 keep changing my default apps?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why does Windows 10 keep changing my default apps?: In the past my default apps would reset every 6 weeks or so - now it is happening within a matter of two hours. This is super frustrating....
  5. Unable to change default email app in Win 10.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to change default email app in Win 10.: Hi, I get error message: There is no email program associated to perform the requested action, even though I selected Google Chrome as my email app....
  6. win 10 keeps defaulting my sound to 5.1

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    win 10 keeps defaulting my sound to 5.1: I have win 10 pro and pare my system up with Creative ZXR and headphones. When I configure my sound to be stereo it works. But on the next boot up, the sound goes back to 5.1. I have to manually configure it again to be stereo. How do I fix this? submitted by /u/FRSstyle...
  7. change my default app

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    change my default app: How do I change my default app to open up files on my quickbooks installed on my windows 10 computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-my-default-app/d17b0f4c-dc19-4e4a-8e5a-89c06944ec37
  8. default app for jpegs keeps changing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    default app for jpegs keeps changing: I prefer Windows Photo Viewer to view jpeg images. For some reason, on occasion, this app will not open, and worst, it is not listed in when I use "open with." Opening an image from it's folder brings up another app I use, FastStone. I went to settings and changed the...
  9. PDF Default App Keeps Getting Changed

PDF Default App Keeps Getting Changed: I complained about this a while ago and followed the suggestion of another ListMember. Well, like the Borg, Windows has adapted. I prefer Adobe for my pdf reader, but as many times as I change the default to Adobe, Windows keeps changing it back to Edge (lousy pdf...
  10. PDF Default App Keeps Getting Changed

PDF Default App Keeps Getting Changed: I prefer Adobe Reader for pdf files, but no matter how many times I set the default app to Adobe, it keeps getting changed back to MS Edge. How do I put a stake in this vampire !! ?? Thanks, Richard S. 98032