Windows 10: Win 10 updates - manually install on remote PC

Discus and support Win 10 updates - manually install on remote PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Win 10 desktop at a remote location running several security cameras. The Internet connection there is via an LTE modem on a data plan. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CharlesGettier, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Win 10 updates - manually install on remote PC

I have a Win 10 desktop at a remote location running several security cameras. The Internet connection there is via an LTE modem on a data plan. I wish to download Win 10 updates at home where I have wide-band Internet service then bring the updates to the remote PC e.g., via a USB thumb drive and manually install them, thus saving my data plan from being ravaged by automatic updates. I have paused the automatic updates on the remote PC, and I can identify the most recent updates downloaded to my home PC also running Win 10 via Settings. I can identify the required update files on the Microsoft Windows Update Catalog site by the Knowledge Base KB number. Before I go any further, I have a few questions:

1. Can an update file, in the ".msu" format, be downloaded to a USB drive and then be copied to the remote PC, or is a separate driver or other application required?

2. I suspect that selecting a file from the Update Catalog for download will be automatically installed/reinstalled on my home PC. Will I have the opportunity to save it to the USB drive before it is installed on my home PC?

3. Once I bring the USB drive to the remote PC and copy the update files to the hard drive, what is the procedure for installing the downloaded updates e.g., right-click on the file name and select "install"?

4. I notice that some of the updates e.g., Win 10 V 1909, KB4532693 are titled "Cumulative". Does this imply that previous Win 10 versions, if not yet downloaded/installed, will be superseded, i.e., do not need to be installed before V 1909?

I would be very grateful for any help with these questions.

Thanks

:)

CharlesGettier, Feb 25, 2020

2. Win 10 1607 update

Installed the update manually at the the moment everything is bueno.
    It seems that Microsoft has a big problem in there update department windows 7 update has problems win 8 update has problems. Windows 10 update is so-so.

Countryside, Feb 25, 2020
  3. CK011885 Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Feb 25, 2020
  4. haan Win User

Win 10 updates - manually install on remote PC

Windows 10 Manual Updates Management

I have just installed windows 10. When windows 10 is updating (and only when its updating) there is a chance the system will randomly hang/freeze.

This is very annoying and happens often but, only when updating.

In an attempt to avoid this problem, I have decided to manually download and install updates.

To do so, I have to do the following.

1. Disable Windows 10 automatic updates.
    2. While windows 10 updates are disabled find and list all the required updates (preferable with a dependency tree of some kind)
    3. Download the required updates manually.
    4. Install the required updates manually.

I was able to figure out the steps (1) and (3) (and I'm guessing step (4) is a simple execution)

How should I go about achieving step (2)?

Thema:

Win 10 updates - manually install on remote PC

1. Win 10 updates - manually install on remote PC - Similar Threads - updates manually install

2. Manual Install of Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Manual Install of Updates: I've a footwalled system I need to install MS updates on. I've got a lot to do so I'm going to create a batch file and do it command line. Is there any difference between running the msu directly or calling it by using wusa? i.e 1. Update.msu /quiet /norestart 2....
  3. Win 10 Update File Download to Update Windows Manually.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win 10 Update File Download to Update Windows Manually.: My Windows 10 is almost 5 years old. Automatic update is disabled. As I use mobile data so my internet is really limited. Thats why I like to stop automatic update. I want to download the update using a WiFi connection. In my office I can't take my personal laptop as it is...
  4. Manually installing updates

Manually installing updates: I have recently installed windows 10 and am already getting extremely frustrated with the inaccessibility of windows updates, it seems that Windows these days wants users to have zero control over what happens with their computer. I disabled mine because I read about users...
  5. Win 10 manual

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Win 10 manual: I am trying to locate a Win 10 manual or booklet, maybe print it off the computer, such as Windows 10 for Dummies. Any other very good booklets for Win 10 out there? Thanks very much....
  6. Install updates manually

Install updates manually: I need to install Windows 10 updates manually, how i can do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-updates-manually/0a7de959-01a7-4c68-958d-483a4b0b169a
  7. Is it possible to manually install desired updates in Win 10-1709 FCU?

Is it possible to manually install desired updates in Win 10-1709 FCU?: Hello everyone. So i decided to downgrade my windows 10 latest update to fall creators update 1709 by reinstalling it. The reason is that after many updates i observed my CPU and RAM are throttled to work slower possible by so known Meltdown and Spectre "vulnerabilities''...
  8. Manual updating Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Manual updating Win 10: Hello, Since that KB4023057 issue, I have disabled windows update service for a month or more, then I plan to enable it again. In the meantime I visit microsoft update catalog if there are some new updates for my system, right now found two. Shell I download and install them...
  9. Manual updating Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Manual updating Win 10: Hello, Since that KB4023057 issue, I have disabled windows update service for a month or more, then I plan to enable it again. In the meantime I visit microsoft update catalog if there are some new updates for my system, right now found two. Shell I download and install them...
  10. Wake remote Win 10 PC-> Wolcmd command-> Works manual, not in cmd

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wake remote Win 10 PC-> Wolcmd command-> Works manual, not in cmd: I have a Win 10 PC acting as a media server. I want it to sleep unless needed. To make the use easy, especially for my wife, I want to have a WOL packet sent to it when I boot or login to another PC. I can accomplish the remote wake with Wolcmd. I have written a batch...