Windows 10: Win 10 upgrade crashed. Laptop will not reboot to any OS

Discus and support Win 10 upgrade crashed. Laptop will not reboot to any OS in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A search reveals that I am not Robinson Crusoe on this matter. However I have not seen any advice that helps me. I elected to postpone the Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by retrorod, Aug 8, 2015.

1. retrorod Win User

Win 10 upgrade crashed. Laptop will not reboot to any OS

A search reveals that I am not Robinson Crusoe on this matter. However I have not seen any advice that helps me.

I elected to postpone the Win 10 upgrade for two days to allow me to save an image before installing the new OS. However, when the process requested a restart, I naively went ahead and to my horror, the Win 10 install was underway *Mad

As all too often in these situations, the install on my Dell Laptop (Win 7, Home Premium), stalled at 44%.

Hitting the reboot key had the install attempt to reinstate the original OS. This failed.

I'm presently in the situation where a reboot asks for the Win 10 installation disk, to enable a reinstall (I presume). Obviously I do not have an installation disk. *sarc

Not to be deterred, I attempted to reinstall a relatively recent Win 7 image using my Dell software recovery disks. Things seemed to proceed in an orderly fashion until at a point I received a blue screen of death a consequence of the disk software saving my computer from terminal damage (as if I wasn't terminally damaged anyway) . *really

Now, as we all know, at any given time there is incremental data on our disk that will be lost in any format, even in the event of a successful past image recovery.

I guess the question is this: If I were able to access a Win 10 installation disk, and use it, what is the likelihood of this screwed installation recovering itself in such fashion that I end up with a Win 10 OS and my data intact?

I'm tipping that any Win 10 re-installation is going to format the drive, and so its goodbye Rod's incremental data!! RR

:)

retrorod, Aug 8, 2015

2. Blue screen then turn to black

I upgraded my laptop from win 8.1 to win 10, it was working fine for 2 months and after the windows done some auto updates suddenly it crashed to blue screen then black screen and after rebooting it keeps crashing the same way till it caused me the damage
    of my hard drive, after i replaced my hard drive and install win 8.1 as original i go to update it to win 10 and again after the windows automatic update it starts to crash the same way again blue screen then black screen and going for auto repair mode, then
    I am back to my original win 8.1

please can somebody advice me what to do to upgrade to win 10 and avoid this crashing after the upgrade.

now my laptop OS is win 8.1

Hammam Elhalwany, Aug 8, 2015
  3. Win 10 upgrade crashed and will not reboot. Boot disc was no help. Cannot restore image from usb drive. Can't do a win 10 clean install with win 7 product key. Please help?

windows 10

jscarboroughHj, Aug 8, 2015
  4. rive0108 Win User

Download the ISO media 10, burn to disk.

All your data is lost.

Format and reinstall win7 via your image or backup (or whatever you were running previously). Boot off the win10 disk and upgrade. If you didn't have the foresight to backup windows, or create a system image when you reserved your upgrade, you are SOL.

If you have a win7 pc image, you will have to boot off a win7 RE to restore. You cannot use a win10 RE for a win7 or win8 image.

Windows 10

rive0108, Aug 8, 2015
  5. sn00ker Win User
    What rive0108 said is the way to go .... Though there is a chance you can get your data if you were to remove the hard drive and connected onto a PC as a external drive, if it hasn't been corrupted .

sn00ker, Aug 8, 2015
  6. edd1234 Win User
    If I were you Disk image laptop HDD in current-state.
    a) - via Macrium reflect boot CD onto external HDD
    b) - remove laptop HDD and connect to another PC/laptop e.g. with dock or USB-SATA adapter

Not sure at what point in the upgrade process MS grants the free Win 10 license (not that you'd know either, it doesn't exactly tell you), but if it's not been done yet there's no point trying to clean-install 10.

edd1234, Aug 8, 2015
  7. retrorod Win User
    Have to say, that I'll buy another HDD and restore my last Win 7 and stick with it on this laptop. Win 10 can wait until I upgrade the hardware, given the litany of problems upgraders are experiencing.

BTW, I will try to recover the disk, just to test if the Win 10 install is any smarter than its predecessors. I suspect not.

Thanks to those who have provided valuable advice. RR

retrorod, Aug 9, 2015
  8. retrorod Win User

I always like to update outcomes, for the benefit of those who offered help and others who may find themselves in this position.

A happy ending here in that with the Win10 .ISO on a DVD, and booting to this, was given an option to restore Win 7 which I took. Happily, and to my genuine surprise, it restored my Win 7 perfectly.

Fortunately, and conveniently for me I did have another PC in the house to download and prepare a boot disk.

So, if others follow me into this AMBUSH by Win 10, just be cautious about requests for a reboot in circumstances as I have described.

This has been a timely reminder that software upgrades are a very, very high risk venture for personal and business users alike. To the uninitiated, have an off-the-PC total drive backup (VIP. check this file is not corrupted!!) and your Win 10 ISO boot disk.

Once again thank you those who posted here to help me. I am indebted to you. RR

Perhaps most importantly, ask yourself if you really NEED the Win10 upgrade. I do not.

retrorod, Aug 16, 2015
  9. sn00ker Win User
    First off I glad you were able to go back to 7 and your data was still all there And I believe you have learned a valuable lesson BACK UP your data prior . Nice of you to report outcome to others . You might even want to go one step further by mark your thread as solved, look at the top left side for it

sn00ker, Aug 16, 2015
  10. Domingos Win User
    I install windows 10 free upgrade from windows 7.Was nice easy to understand and it was working.So i put the PC to sleep.And on next day,when I turn on PC I just got a nice picture with hour and date and no access at all to login.So I search so many forums trying to look for a solution,but no joy till now.Does anybody had same problem that can help me about this.Right now my PC is just a clock.Thank's for any help.As I read above may be able to restore back to windows 7 without loss of files that are already on pc ?

Domingos, Aug 16, 2015
  11. retrorod Win User
    I suspect that there are as many issues out there as there are those who have chosen to upgrade. If you make the boot disk as I did, and have your PC boot from this, you will get an option to restore Win 7 as I did.

It seems that many older PC's are going to have driver conflicts as manufacturers will not want the expense of upgrading their hardware. I guess Win 10 will have many, many generic drivers, but these are not going to work perfectly in every case.

I wish you well with a restore Domingos. RR

retrorod, Aug 16, 2015
  12. sn00ker Win User
    What happens when you try clicking the Enter key or even Esc key ?

sn00ker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 upgrade crashed. Laptop will not reboot to any OS - Similar Threads - upgrade crashed Laptop

2. Laptop crashing and rebooting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop crashing and rebooting: Hello,I would be very thankful for helping me fix my laptop.I brought my laptop to university, turned on then signed in and it crashed blue screen, rebooted and crashed again, this happened a few times until it booted to repair screen and I chose for windows to try to fix...
  3. Laptop crashing and rebooting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop crashing and rebooting: Hello,I would be very thankful for helping me fix my laptop.I brought my laptop to university, turned on then signed in and it crashed blue screen, rebooted and crashed again, this happened a few times until it booted to repair screen and I chose for windows to try to fix...
  4. Laptop crashing and rebooting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Win 10 laptop crashed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 laptop crashed: I am troubleshooting an Asus laptop with Win 10 installed. After a recent windows update I was unable to log in to windows. It was freezing up after I put in my pin. I tried to restart it and then it got caught in a bios loop, where it would only boot to the bios, and no...
  6. Win 10 Home OS Upgrade to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Home OS Upgrade to Win 10 Pro: I have paid for and attempted to install Win 10 Pro upgrade. All seemed well, however, after installation I appear to have Win 10 Enterprise, which of course will not Activate digitally!! Error code is 0xC004F211 My Microsoft store receipt clearly states I have...
  7. upgrade to win 10 pro without reinstalling OS

upgrade to win 10 pro without reinstalling OS: Hello Have win 10 home, but my x64 softwares cant handle all memory. Win 10 home has limits in x64 software. Want to upgrade to pro, but rather not re-install all sofwares. Is there any way to upgrade to pro and keep basic structure in computer? Regards/Bo...
  8. Any difference between These Upgrades of OS?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Any difference between These Upgrades of OS?: When I got the update for my Windows 10 Pro 10240 build 10240, the update were mentioned as Wondows 10 Pro 1511 build 10586. But when the updates were downloaded and installed, I looked into system information which mentioned as Windows 10 Pro 10586 build 10586. Are these...
  9. Any way to upgrade baytrail Win 8.1 to any version of Win 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any way to upgrade baytrail Win 8.1 to any version of Win 10?: I'm getting a factory installed dual boot Win 8.1/Android 4.4 tablet that has an Intel Baytrail Z3735F processor. Will I be able to upgrade the Win 8.1 to any version of Windows 10, be it original full or mobile versions? Thanks. 7277
  10. Tried upgrading to Windows 10, laptop crashed at 25% has no OS.

Tried upgrading to Windows 10, laptop crashed at 25% has no OS.: I encountered this issue recently, and it's caused me a fair bit of frustration. I keep searching for solutions but it seems nobody has any. Does anyone know what I can do to restore Windows 7 (preferably with my files intact) or at the very least finish the upgrade to...